Status
Not open for further replies.
Might make a run up to CR tomorrow as doesn’t look the best conditions in French creek tomorrow for my last outing before heading back to mainland . What’s the best launch around town to hit close to the grounds ? Cheers
Launch choice depends on boat size and tide. Discovery Harbour is good on all tides, but costs $. Big rock is next best, but really low tide isn’t great. If you use big rock, head straight out for a good distance, as it’s shallow both ways. People have been catching fish in Desolation. Just beware of the RCA’s. We caught a nice one at the entrance of Squirrel Cove, last week. South end of Quadra will be rough today and tomorrow.

Launch choice depends on boat size and tide. Discovery Harbour is good on all tides, but costs $. Big rock is next best, but really low tide isn’t great. If you use big rock, head straight out for a good distance, as it’s shallow both ways. People have been catching fish in Desolation. Just beware of the RCA’s. We caught a nice one at the entrance of Squirrel Cove, last week. South end of Quadra will be rough today and tomorrow.
That is great advice, when leaving the 'gap' at the Big Rock launch, head straight toward the Cape Mudge lighthouse until the bottom drops down to 70', then you are good to turn.

Doesn't look that great up here either-
The fishing is so easy up here, no rod or downrigger needed, you can just hand bomb them in ;). But to add to this reply and add my 2 cents… if it happens to be a bit of a snotty SE off south end of Quadra, make the run 25 min north through Seymour narrows and fish the spots around Brown’s Bay. You’ll see where all the boats are fishing. Coho, Springs and pinks up there right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 134
Heading to browns bay camping for 4 days, is it worth bringing the boat? Are there many spots close for spring fishing?

Rain had me pacing so yesterday at 1030 let windyT convince me the wx was ok-launched at Pac playground and immediately regretted the decision. It was not nice at all. Decided I could sneak up the shelter point shore and cut over to Quadra- nothing at the hump so cut across wilby close to shore-lots of birds-bait- rockfish and lings (small) --coming up to the eastern edge of the shoal-more birds bait and COHO . Rain starting to drive in buckets-swapped my hoodie and lifejacket for a floater coat and sou-wester. Basically chased birds and bait in 50 to 60 ft of water. Lost count of the coho. . Couldn't find a spring but then I didn't get to deeper water much. There was a major gaggle of boats about 2 miles up along the eastern side of quadra-who may have been on Springs. Water and rain calmed down-coho are getting big and on my light jigging rods it was an epic afternoon. Trolled for springs for 15 minutes in deep water-decided I would rather jig and chase bait. Jigging just gets to you. If I have friends out we troll-but for me jigging the bait balls is the only way to fly

Thank you!

can you point in me to some points of reference on navionics where to start? Just launched the boat and not sure what direction to travel 😃

Throw something green down around 115-155’, see what shakes.

Attachments

• IMG_7772.jpeg
    IMG_7772.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 73
Any reports from Green Seas or Chatham?
Thinking of heading that way tomorrow if the wind is not blowing.

Anyone been jigging off wilby recently ? Running home the next two days and will be in Campbell River this afternoon looking to round out a limit of coho and catch and release a few springers !

were you trolling?? if so what do you set your rigger to-30 ft? I'm a jigger--asking for a friend!! LOL
mike: i was trolling plugs right on the surface and then began using deep sixes trolling modern spoons to great success. i have been strictly jigging as of late because i’m obsessed. i’ve hooked into many a coho jigging where you mentioned, but they almost always come unpinned by the boat when they do their death roll. my wife jigged a nice hatch last night. guess i have to lose the rubber hooks 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back