2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I camped on Dodd Island with mates in June. Was a good spot, but next time with the family I will camp on Gilbert Island, as it is a more interesting forest and site for the kids, but maybe not as good of an anchorage in a serious blow. If you are tent camping (what we did) you need to book and stay at the designated sites and the 'Island Watchers' do come around and check. If you sleep on the boat, you can go anywhere and there is no need to book/pay.

Yeah, beware of the kayakers, they tend to hide bananas in your bilge to curse you if you're not paying attention. Nah, while they didn't seem happy to have us rock up on 'their' beach, they are just people too and can be crabby if they want to, what are they going to do, parks are for us all.

Well that was an interesting group trip. For a second time this year on planned vacation almost didn't make it into Bamfield. Arrived at 440 Wed morning to be told road was closed. The choices were launch Renfrew or logging road. We decided to wait as both were not an option for us.

Turned back home that morning and fished Nanaimo while we waited on when road open again. We were able to get back to port in evening. We slept at ramp and launched first light.

Headed to Bamfield and stopped Assets. Right away a good sized teen spring. We kept going stopped in Bamfield and fished at Fleming right away springs everywhere again. Then we motored down to Beale for a bit and headed in.

Next few days worked areas close to Banfield. You didn't have to go far. It seemed fish were suspended pretty much everywhere. Whittlestone and backside of Beale were best for us. Super tight against shoreline. Anywhere where the bait was.

It was pretty much lights out springs and coho. I just put bait away and went to really tiny spoons.

In the end we ended up full limits for myself and my son of coho and chinook. Biggest was just over 20 which my kid caught. Most were in the 14lb to 18lb range. Never tried for rockfish or halibut as the salmon fishing was just too good.

Had a great time and it was nice to see some other forum members at same time as us.
View attachment 96421View attachment 96422
View attachment 96425
View attachment 96426
View attachment 96423View attachment 96424
View attachment 96428View attachment 96438View attachment 96439View attachment 96441View attachment 96426View attachment 96428View attachment 96438
Wash rocks pic is great!

Hi Folks
I will ramble a bit later on in this report but let’s get to the good stuff first!
It is still on! Fishing is beyond good. That said, it’s the middle of August and it is supposed to be good this time of the summer, however, I’m not taking that for granted. It’s been full on since the last week of July and I want to ride this out through till the end. It seems all the usual haunts are firing. Beale and Little Beale were hot for me the past two weeks. I’ve been plying my trade over at Swale Rock lately. Strong north westerlies put a major damper on the water conditions at Beale while Swale is very protected. The water is good and the fishing just as!
I have switched over to bait as I said I likely would but…I am only using bait on one rigger. Keeping an Amundsen skinny g knock off on the other one (Irish cream or Bon Chovy colours). It has been an interesting comparison between bait and metal. Anchovies early in the morning have been quite productive but as the day wears on it seems spoons take over (at least on my boat).
I just finished up with Dave, Jim, Gilbert and newcomer Rich. Dave, Jim and Gilbert have been with me ever since I’ve been in Bamfield, brother John couldn’t make it this summer so Rich was the stand in. We fished Beale on day one and basically got clobbered by 3 and 4 meter swells. Eventually we made our way to Swale. It took me a few hours to dial things in. I found that the fish were quite a bit deeper than where I usually fish for them. Typically I fish at 37 / 42 at Swale. We found fish at 55 on the rigger. It was the money depth. As you may know if you are a regular reader, I love fishing tight to structure. I do at Swale as well. Tight to the rocks and kelp beds. There was a ton of bait over there. I stayed with it and short tacked back and forth and sure enough the bite came on. We limited out on day 2, I took two as well for a total of ten springs. We finished punching the boy’s tags on day 3. Each day was similar, bait started the ball rolling and the spoons took over after the sun got a bit higher in the sky. I must also mention that I am definitely seeing the bite progress as the flood tide picks up. It was noticeably slower on the ebb. Lots of boats were having great success fishing glow white hoochies was well. What’s the lesson here? Fish bait on one side then use plastic or metal on the other. You can keep it in the zone longer as you don’t have to pull it to check it as often.
Kirby, Fleming, Robbers Pass, Harbour Entrance, Effingham, Austin and Cree have all produced fish. Again I do want to point out that the fish seem a bit deeper. 45 to 60 feet on the rigger is a good place to start. Play with it a bit and you’ll get it dialed in.
Coho are still hit and miss. Somedays they are thick and others you hook only one or two. The good news is each day deeper into August the coho situation will get better and better.
Hali fishing has been awesome as well. It has been blowing big time off shore so none of us have made it out for 5 days or so. Hopefully it settles down some this weekend. I am itching to get out for some more Sable fish! If the weather settles then the Hali will be at their usual spots. Humps that come up on the bank all will produce. Salmon bellies are a great bait choice for hails as number 1, they love them, and number 2, they stay on the hook well. Spreader bars sure help.
I just realized this morning that I have 3 more charter group left before I have to get back being
” Coach ” for real. Mid September I am fortunate enough to do our annual school trip here at Harbourside in Bamfield. Nothing beats watching the eyes of 44 grade 10 students seeing the majesty of Barkley Sound for the first time. This might be the most rewarding trip I do all season.
However until then I still have some serious fishing to do. New group coming in which means experiencing this all over again through them. Can’t wait to get back out here.

Hi Folks
I will ramble a bit later on in this report but let’s get to the good stuff first!
It is still on! Fishing is beyond good. That said, it’s the middle of August and it is supposed to be good this time of the summer, however, I’m not taking that for granted. It’s been full on since the last week of July and I want to ride this out through till the end. It seems all the usual haunts are firing. Beale and Little Beale were hot for me the past two weeks. I’ve been plying my trade over at Swale Rock lately. Strong north westerlies put a major damper on the water conditions at Beale while Swale is very protected. The water is good and the fishing just as!
I have switched over to bait as I said I likely would but…I am only using bait on one rigger. Keeping an Amundsen skinny g knock off on the other one (Irish cream or Bon Chovy colours). It has been an interesting comparison between bait and metal. Anchovies early in the morning have been quite productive but as the day wears on it seems spoons take over (at least on my boat).
I just finished up with Dave, Jim, Gilbert and newcomer Rich. Dave, Jim and Gilbert have been with me ever since I’ve been in Bamfield, brother John couldn’t make it this summer so Rich was the stand in. We fished Beale on day one and basically got clobbered by 3 and 4 meter swells. Eventually we made our way to Swale. It took me a few hours to dial things in. I found that the fish were quite a bit deeper than where I usually fish for them. Typically I fish at 37 / 42 at Swale. We found fish at 55 on the rigger. It was the money depth. As you may know if you are a regular reader, I love fishing tight to structure. I do at Swale as well. Tight to the rocks and kelp beds. There was a ton of bait over there. I stayed with it and short tacked back and forth and sure enough the bite came on. We limited out on day 2, I took two as well for a total of ten springs. We finished punching the boy’s tags on day 3. Each day was similar, bait started the ball rolling and the spoons took over after the sun got a bit higher in the sky. I must also mention that I am definitely seeing the bite progress as the flood tide picks up. It was noticeably slower on the ebb. Lots of boats were having great success fishing glow white hoochies was well. What’s the lesson here? Fish bait on one side then use plastic or metal on the other. You can keep it in the zone longer as you don’t have to pull it to check it as often.
Kirby, Fleming, Robbers Pass, Harbour Entrance, Effingham, Austin and Cree have all produced fish. Again I do want to point out that the fish seem a bit deeper. 45 to 60 feet on the rigger is a good place to start. Play with it a bit and you’ll get it dialed in.
Coho are still hit and miss. Somedays they are thick and others you hook only one or two. The good news is each day deeper into August the coho situation will get better and better.
Hali fishing has been awesome as well. It has been blowing big time off shore so none of us have made it out for 5 days or so. Hopefully it settles down some this weekend. I am itching to get out for some more Sable fish! If the weather settles then the Hali will be at their usual spots. Humps that come up on the bank all will produce. Salmon bellies are a great bait choice for hails as number 1, they love them, and number 2, they stay on the hook well. Spreader bars sure help.
I just realized this morning that I have 3 more charter group left before I have to get back being
” Coach ” for real. Mid September I am fortunate enough to do our annual school trip here at Harbourside in Bamfield. Nothing beats watching the eyes of 44 grade 10 students seeing the majesty of Barkley Sound for the first time. This might be the most rewarding trip I do all season.
However until then I still have some serious fishing to do. New group coming in which means experiencing this all over again through them. Can’t wait to get back out here.
Thanks for the great report. How do you go about catching sable fish? I’ve always wanted to try.

Hi Folks
Always learn and enjoy reading your report, THANK YOU! Now I have to wait another year until I'm back to Bamfield and that really sucks.

We fished 7:30 to 10 at Whittlestone. Spoons and anchovies worked equally well. Anchovies without flashers worked great. 3 of us kept 6, released and lost a few. All at 37 ft deep. My son lost a great fish after it tangled with another boat. 😂.
Stosh

Attachments

• 60EC6089-7617-4BF0-B6F3-E9799E2DA623.png
    60EC6089-7617-4BF0-B6F3-E9799E2DA623.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 160
Heading to broken group islands next week. Does anyone have experience boat camping in there. I know there is no fishing there but do the angry kayakers throw bananas at power boats? Any tips would be great I’m taking my wife and little girls for a week long adventure.
I’ve camped on turtle island before. Cool spot, boat on the hook

If anyone has been catching lots of pinks in Barkley will you share? It’s time for us to fire up the canner. ..
We didn't catch any when we were there last week, but there are tons of 4/5 lb Coho around, they can up nicely.

If anyone has been catching lots of pinks in Barkley will you share? It’s time for us to fire up the canner. ..
havent touched a pink in 2 weeks. seeing the odd one at the tables. i think they are offshore and there has been no need to got out there. swelly as **** and the chins are in!

Had a great 4 day trip to Bamfield. Weather was perfect. Found the fish much more plentiful and bigger on average than last year (thanks Alaska troll fishery closure?) Also found the fish a little deeper, 55' seemed to be our ticket. Water was like a bath in certain areas. Can't wait for next year! Day one pictured below. 1000011002.jpg

Last edited:
Yep another great season happening in the sound this year. Every popular spot is producing fish. As others have said it’s seems like Chovy working good for the early morning bite and then small #3 kingfisher spoon in chrome finish with purple onion flasher is money.
IMG_6449.jpeg
IMG_6434.jpegIMG_6432.jpegIMG_6427.jpeg

Just back from 2 days. Very hot the first day landing around 20 fishing mostly teenage chin. White hootchie and odd one on spoons. Fished Assits, Pill and Ritherdon. Everyone getting fish but not crazy fishing. Second day only landed 7 and you had to work for them. WeeGee did most of the damage

On the ferry back from Bamfield. Another great trip in the books. Started our trip last Monday. Spent the night at the lovely bluebird motel in Port. Someone sleeping in the boat with the bonker close at hand. Got up Tuesday and launched once the tide came up a bit. We tried little Beale to start, but had no luck. Moved to cree and found a bunch of chins and a coho. Nice first day. Wednesday started at Swale and a bunch of small fish. Went through a pack of bait and then headed back out to cree. Got into some springs again, coho and a few pinks. 3 packs of bait burnt to get 5 chinook. Lots of work. Another great day. My buddy came over that night. He was on the 315 ferry. They got 200 feet off the dock and dropped the anchors when the engine crapped out. He ended getting to Bamfield at 1am. We were up at 5 and hit Sandford. Bite came on at 7 and it was one after the other on high teen chins. Went hunting coho after and really couldn't find them. Only managed 4 the whole trip actually. Friday we hit Sandford again and finished off our chinook limits. Jigged a pinnacle or two to no avail. Saturday was a sleep in and then hit whittlestone for coho, but all we did was release springs.

Most of the action was on bait. Bloody nose and Herring aid teasers, red or purple flashers and 47 to 66 feet. We did get quite a few on skinny gs as well.

Great trip. Too bad the wind was up offshore. No shot at hali. Nice to hang out at Mills with Jerry for a few days and tell stories. Already put in same dates for next year. Moving the trip from early August to later was a good play.

Back from Bamfield after arriving Tuesday evening.
My folks, buddy and his pop were already at the cabin when my father-in-law and I showed up. My FIL fishes the San Juans hard and had just got back from Nootka with a crew. He was excited to get out on the salt with his own grady for the first time and I was pumped to show him what Barkley has to offer.
Fishing was hot. We started out at Gibraltar fishing cut plug herring as that's his go-to method. Saw a hundred fish pulled in to our one in the first two hours so we made the switch to hardware and never went back. We prolly caught 15 or 20 fish. Mostly 8-12 lbs. Released all but 4 or 5 and a silver,
With my dad on board as well we had a triple header where we boated 2 of the 3 for the biggest fish of the trip at 19 and 21. Besides the fishing being hot the weather was too. We were treated to a show on a blue and white bayliner with a topless lady out on deck avoiding tan lines #freethenip.
Fished Whittlestone that evening releasing a few but not bonking.
Also my FIL didnt know but the chip he had for his gps didnt cover Barkely Sound so we lost 2 downrigger balls out at Gibraltar. I ended up glued to my phone using my Navionics app to avoid the obstacles alot of the trip.

Day 2 same story we fished Gibraltar, sorted through the cookie cutters until we scraped up a few high teeners on the rocks and the wind finally made it too hard to fish. Moved to the wall and dixon and picked up another. Fished the wall that evening C & R on a few cookies but no toads.
PSA of the day - both recreational and guide boats need to be considerate. Getting out of the way of someone with a fish is good but not at the expense of blindsiding other boats. Also you dont have to always be the boat on the inside, sure you have clients but there are plenty of fish around let everyone have a turn.

Day 3 we attempted to go out and around Beale to find cod but the tight swells and wind were gonna make it too snotty. Trolled Little Beale, Lawton, and Whittle the morning let a nice 15 go and released a bunch more shorts and cookies. (We got pretty good at the gaff release this trip.) Trolled all the way in from Whittle to past Dixon releasing fish, then ran over to Robbers Passage, looked like a better class of fish being caught and in one pass we bonked a high teens and then ended up fighting a good one on the rocks, with the wind and no electronics we quickly had all three riggers stuck and lost another 2 balls and subsequently the fish. Usually I would be mortified, but my FIL has a good attitude and as long as fish are biting he really didnt care. After that we went and tried some inside spots for cod but came home with only a few.

Day 4 had us trolling coho gear from Aguilar all the way to Beale and around. We picked up my buddy and his wife from their boat as they had been wanting to go try bottom fishing but his dad wasn't up for swells and getting thrown around. On the way to Beale they C&R prolly 10 fish trying to find a coho but only springs would hit (caught 1 humpy too) . They had fun using knucklbusters for the first time. We were pulling cop car coho killer, white needle hoochie with a herring strip, and a herringaid spoon. Got around Beale and found a few lings, cabs, and cod.

That was the end of fishing for us. Hot depths for springs were 55-45 everywhere we went. Except hot depth on the wall was deeper at 75. We had best luck on wee-gees and skinny gees in kitchen sink and no bananas, as well as small needle fish hoochies and herring aid #3. I like the single barbless with this many fish around for releasing without handling. The double hook hoochies had a better catch rate but made releases harder on the fish and us.

All in all great trip. Lots of bears in grappler. Lots of boats in the inlet, and tons of fish. Wish the size average was a little bigger but they are perfect eaters.
The road delay wasnt bad on the way in and the way out was sunday so hardly a wait. The Duke Point ferry breakdown had us scrambling as our 2:00 reservation was canceled and they were ticketing the 5:45 at 10:30am on sunday. So we booked it down to Victoria and ended up catching the 2:30 boat there. Good deal.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back