Status
Not open for further replies.
That large bus destroyed the ramp. I launch my 14 ft tin boat there but anything 16ft or bigger should be launched with closer to mid to high tide. Often you have to move logs and other debris to launch and parking is very limited.
I agree totally, but as a note GVHA allowed the amphibious bus to run there. And to this day GVHA has spent millions of $$$ on the cruise ship Jetty and not a dine or penny on the community ramp. Its a shame that once you leave the cruise ship for your first impression of Victoria and right next door is a boat ramp that neither the city or GVHA can repair for the community. Its the only boat launch for the public in the entire city district. They could certainly use about 1 of the 50 million $$ spent on the Ogden Point Project, but they have big plans obviously. Crazy how they don't see it, oh ya the "Covid" excuse, well that's getting old don't you think? Good luck launching without some kind of difficulty.

Back to Victoria water front to fish today. Started at 620 out front of the harbour and done by 715. Three springs in the boat and all at 70 ft on the DR and all on bait. Had Stosh out with us today and sure enough he get's to play the largest fish that put up a great fight.
Only used 4 pieces of bait today.

Attachments

• Aug 11, Victoria Water Front..jpg
    Aug 11, Victoria Water Front..jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 99
Back to Victoria water front to fish today. Started at 620 out front of the harbour and done by 715. Three springs in the boat and all at 70 ft on the DR and all on bait. Had Stosh out with us today and sure enough he get's to play the largest fish that put up a great fight.
Only used 4 pieces of bait today.

What kind of depth of water ? I am trying to find time to get out and Esq is quicker than heading to chehanua

What kind of depth of water ? I am trying to find time to get out and Esq is quicker than heading to chehanua
70 to 130. I just get in the same troll line with everyone else and move in and out while avoiding boats. I try to troll right rod to shore (shallow water) and on the troll back, I fish the deeper water.
I've never summer fished the Vic water front until this year and I'm very impressed with the action and results. I've been out 4 times and got the boat limit every time with in 3 hours. Also there are not that many shakers around.
It's a great place to launch at Esq Anglers, a two minute ride out from the dock and you are fishing.
Just follow the boats. Good Luck.

70 to 130. I just get in the same troll line with everyone else and move in and out while avoiding boats. I try to troll right rod to shore (shallow water) and on the troll back, I fish the deeper water.
I've never summer fished the Vic water front until this year and I'm very impressed with the action and results. I've been out 4 times and got the boat limit every time with in 3 hours. Also there are not that many shakers around.
It's a great place to launch at Esq Anglers, a two minute ride out from the dock and you are fishing.
When guys say the “ waterfront” I take that to mean from clover to saxe point and close to the shore. Some just use it to mean from William Head to oak bay flats and out to Constance bank. That’s why I asked depth.

I have found the waterfront / breakwater very good for springs in September. It was even better years ago when the net pen was being ran by Esq anglers.

Last edited:
How many white springs are you catching compared to red?

Since Aug 1st, the boats I've fished on have landed 19 Springs in total. I keep a record of each time out. So far we have only caught one 15lb white spring and it was caught in Sooke near Otter Point.
Out of the 19 fish landed so far, I have yet to land a clipped spring and never have gone so long with out a hatchery spring.

For me, the Victoria water front is the breakwater to Saxes Point. William head is Metchosin, Clover Point is the flag pole? Dam nicknames.

Today, I was at Esq Anglers giving a lesson on running bait. The parking lot and roadway were packed with trailers. I talked to a couple of fisherman coming in and both said it was slow for them and not a bite. They were coming in early because the tide was getting to low to get their boat on the trailer. At 9 the boat launch was mud. I could see about 35 boats out fishing the water front.

Since Aug 1st, the boats I've fished on have landed 19 Springs in total. I keep a record of each time out. So far we have only caught one 15lb white spring and it was caught in Sooke near Otter Point.
Out of the 19 fish landed so far, I have yet to land a clipped spring and never have gone so long with out a hatchery spring.

For me, the Victoria water front is the breakwater to Saxes Point. William head is Metchosin, Clover Point is the flag pole? Dam nicknames.

Today, I was at Esq Anglers giving a lesson on running bait. The parking lot and roadway were packed with trailers. I talked to a couple of fisherman coming in and both said it was slow for them and not a bite. They were coming in early because the tide was getting to low to get their boat on the trailer. At 9 the boat launch was mud. I could see about 35 boats out fishing the water front.
Clover point is clover point. The flag pole is half way between brotchie and clover. The flagpole is stop checker board hill.

We are only clipping 10% of hatchery fish. Apparently starting next year we will clip a higher percentage of them. So it is highly likely that you are catching some hatchery fish but they just haven’t had their adipose fin clipped.

Hit the green can and the breakwater at 630 this morning. At 715 I had a bin pop and the rod when down. Set the hook and it was a monster. Motor still in gear as normal. It was heavy but only pulling on and off. Like a big halibut. But that is impossible. A crab trap and my line was sliding up the rope. The float must be full of water because I didn't see it. Who puts a crab trap about 75m out from the breakwater towards Brotchie. Any way, a bit of a gong show by myself, I almost had the float to the surface and it let go. If you own a trap with a white and red float be very careful. There is a razor sharp hook about 4 foot down the line.

1.5 hours later I had not seen a net in the air so I ran out to Pedder. Tides were ripping off Wilky point and the far side on Bentinck. I didn't see a net in the air. Picked up a nice little 5lb hatchery coho close to the Can. Saw a few nice fish jumping and lots of bait. I heard the bite at the breakwater might have come on about 1030. Maybe I should have stayed close to home.

Hit the green can and the breakwater at 630 this morning. At 715 I had a bin pop and the rod when down. Set the hook and it was a monster. Motor still in gear as normal. It was heavy but only pulling on and off. Like a big halibut. But that is impossible. A crab trap and my line was sliding up the rope. The float must be full of water because I didn't see it. Who puts a crab trap about 75m out from the breakwater towards Brotchie. Any way, a bit of a gong show by myself, I almost had the float to the surface and it let go. If you own a trap with a white and red float be very careful. There is a razor sharp hook about 4 foot down the line.

1.5 hours later I had not seen a net in the air so I ran out to Pedder. Tides were ripping off Wilky point and the far side on Bentinck. I didn't see a net in the air. Picked up a nice little 5lb hatchery coho close to the Can. Saw a few nice fish jumping and lots of bait. I heard the bite at the breakwater might have come on about 1030. Maybe I should have stayed close to home.
Interesting. I was at the breakwater around 10:30 and saw no bite come on. Perhaps I was just unlucky but saw not one person play a fish today.

I was only basing this on a guy I met when I was bringing my boat out at Eqsimalt. He had 3 fish one about 15 and had let a couple go prior to keeping the bigger fish. Could have been a fisherman's story but I saw the fish carcass.

Any reports from OB flats or the gap? Also has anyone been out to Constance Bank? I talked my wife in to going out tomorrow morning and I need to catch some fish or ??? it may be yard work for this guy. :)

Any reports from OB flats or the gap? Also has anyone been out to Constance Bank? I talked my wife in to going out tomorrow morning and I need to catch some fish or ??? it may be yard work for this guy. :)
Yard work....I did the morning shift at the waterfront and it was slower than slow.. I didn't see 1 net out and everyone I spoke to said they didn't even have a touch. I released a wild coho, that was it.

took my sisters out today for there annual fishing trip spent the morning between sax point and brochie ledge but not a thing. Didn’t even see a net in the water. Had a stizzla moment as I was showing them how to get the bait to roll while holding the flasher in my hand, while still talking let the flasher go and didn’t realize that I hadn’t hooked to my line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back