Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be some coho around now but more out Sooke ways. Usually 3-5 pounders with a 8# being a big one. When they are up shallow, they are lots of fun with a fly rod, a couple of ounces, (if any) weight and your favourite spoon or bucktail trolled fast. It can get pretty crazy when you find them. I've only just caught the occasional coho in Oak Bay.

Out for halibut yesterday with Bent tip - we arrived at our anchor spot to find a string of commercial prawn traps right over our anchor waypoint. We ended up dropping the anchor in the middle of nowhere, and hoping for the best. We dragged up 6 monster dogs from over 350 ft. Then we waited and waited.....and waited for a halibut hit. At 3pm, both rods went down, and we got our first ever double header of halibut - 99 and 115cm, very hard fighting fish compared to last year. It's strange how fast you're luck can changeIMG_1179.JPG

We fished the mud hole the last three trips and only got a teen halibut and lots of dogs. This time, I decided to go to Constance Bank today. Fished 7 to 10 and the tide flow was to fast until 830. at 9 we got a 35lb and at 10 got a 45lb. Both on salmon bellies. Also got 3 dogs and all on Herring
Pulled the anchor at 1015 in flat calm water and 3/4 of the way back to Pedder Bay the winds came up with a 3 foot chop. I thought Big Wave Dave forecast was 0-5 mph until late afternoon.

Attachments

• June 8th Halibut 35 and 45. .jpg
    June 8th Halibut 35 and 45. .jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 56
Started jigging at 745 this morning south of Discovery Island hoping for a ling cod. Nothing doing so I moved over to the Gap around 11:00. At 11:17 bam, something hammered my 4 oz jig, after 30 mins and 5 attempts to gaff it I hauled this 102cm 38lb halibut into the boat. You can see what he hit and the light spinning gear I was using. What a great day.

Attachments

• 20220608_112731.jpg
    20220608_112731.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hero to 00 in one day.
Back to Constance today but someone was close to my normal location, so I moved over and gave them room.
Fished 9 to noon and not a halibut bite, got two dogs and an octopus, which we let go. Never saw another boat (4) have any action.
Got back to Pedder Bay and pulled our two traps and both were moved and cleaned out. Got 6 keeper crabs in the same
location yesterday. Dam crab pirates.

There have been big orange floats in the shipping lanes and south side of Constance Bank. Both day there was
a big boat loaded in orange floats on board and pulling lines. Halibut long liner?

Hero to 00 in one day.
Back to Constance today but someone was close to my normal location, so I moved over and gave them room.
Fished 9 to noon and not a halibut bite, got two dogs and an octopus, which we let go. Never saw another boat (4) have any action.
Got back to Pedder Bay and pulled our two traps and both were moved and cleaned out. Got 6 keeper crabs in the same

There have been big orange floats in the shipping lanes and south side of Constance Bank. Both day there was
a big boat loaded in orange floats on board and pulling lines. Halibut long liner?
I thought he was a prawner but I guess it could be halibut.

Does anyone know if they still out there and rebaited, or did they take them elsewhere which is what they do every year?
Probably due to the dogs?

Fished the MudHole from 0900 - 1330, one dog, no other action. Cold and wet but better than working.

Hero to 00 in one day.

Just curious do use Trial Island Current or Race Passage? I assume Race Passage is considerably higher than what you get in open water. I’ve been checking out Deepzoom which I think uses both.

Just curious do use Trial Island Current or Race Passage? I assume Race Passage is considerably higher than what you get in open water. I’ve been checking out Deepzoom which I think uses both.
my experience for the Mud Hole is Deep Zoom shows only usa stations. Trial Island 5.2 is the best, but you can expect the currents to be an hour or two before what you see. It varies between the first of the ebb or flood. Race Passage generally shows stronger readings.

Went out today because the wife needed to study. Didn't expect it to be so wet and cold.... stupid JUNEuary weather. I had to pull out my little buddy heater and also used my electric heated vest.

Went down off pedder near the shipping lane to a spot I wanted to try but there was a boat already there. Drove past them and let them know I'd anchor in the same are but not too close. They were ok with it so I set up in a line of 3 other boats. Didn't see any of the ones near me get any fish either and talking on the radio with others seemed slow for most.

Didn't even get a dog fish and my bait was untouched most of the day. Pulled up and checked traps on the way back. One seemed to have been raided but got two keepers in the other.

Usually don't mind a little rain but today would have been pretty miserable except for my heater. Still better than being at work and the wife had a nice quiet house to get her school work done.

I hope the weather is better for the next set of hali tides....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back