2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where would one head on Sunday if they were to go out . SH , T10, cap/ambleside .
We're going leave from Point Roberts spend a couple hours in the morning at sandheads, hopefully get a couple sockeye. Then head over to Ambleside. Then keeping the boat at mosquito. But if I were leaving from north van in the morning I'd go to Ambleside.

Depends where you plan to launch. It's blowing thru Howe Sound and Whitecaps. If you launch at Sunset or Horseshoe then it will be a very lumpy ride till you get around Pt Atkinson where the water will be flat. Launch in n van and it will be an easier ride.
Where do you launch in North van?

I read the reports from this morning and didn't look super promising... but the weather looked awesome. So got home and twisted the kids arms and promised them DQ if they came out with DAD. The wifey had a meeting. So it was daddy daycare at Sandheads!

But the time you grab gas and drag the boat through traffic we weren't dropping the lines till nearly 5 PM. Didn't even have the second side down and side one had a screamer of a wild coho on. Then trolled out deeper toward the sockeye floppers. Love seeing those groups of splashes in the distance. Target the biggest one and headed right for it.

Had a few hits that came off quick with the riggers bottomed out at 110 and 90 feet. One massive school we found and when I was swinging around to get repositioned the top line the shallow side pops and starts running like crazy. Handed it over to my daughter and she handled it wonderfully. Her biggest Chinook to Date at 19 pounds. They were pretty excited about that one. Caught on a little pink squirt.

Got the lines back down and went through the school and the girls pulled in a double sockeye. Now we were in business. We lost a few more then things went a little slow.

There were still jumpers. One even slammed into the side of the boat. But not much for deep schools. So I pulled the riggers up to 70 feet with lines at approx 47 and 60 feet on the wire. I had several more quick hard pulls that weren't sticking. Then picked up a couple more sockeye in the boat. Lost a couple more right as we were pulling lines as the sun was going down. Quit just before 7pm. Seems like the sockeye are much active shallower than when I was out last Fridag. I'd target the 40 to 70 foot water if you aren't having many hits down deeper.

Fast action for the last two hours, worth getting out still.

Still plenty of fish out there. Spectacular evening not too far from home.

Attachments

• 20220921_183409.jpg
    20220921_183409.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 20220921_190506.jpg
    20220921_190506.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 226
  • 20220921_222944.jpg
    20220921_222944.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 234
I read the reports from this morning and didn't look super promising... but the weather looked awesome. So got home and twisted the kids arms and promised them DQ if they came out with DAD. The wifey had a meeting. So it was daddy daycare at Sandheads!

But the time you grab gas and drag the boat through traffic we weren't dropping the lines till nearly 5 PM. Didn't even have the second side down and side one had a screamer of a wild coho on. Then trolled out deeper toward the sockeye floppers. Love seeing those groups of splashes in the distance. Target the biggest one and headed right for it.

Had a few hits that came off quick with the riggers bottomed out at 110 and 90 feet. One massive school we found and when I was swinging around to get repositioned the top line the shallow side pops and starts running like crazy. Handed it over to my daughter and she handled it wonderfully. Her biggest Chinook to Date at 19 pounds. They were pretty excited about that one. Caught on a little pink squirt.

Got the lines back down and went through the school and the girls pulled in a double sockeye. Now we were in business. We lost a few more then things went a little slow.

There were still jumpers. One even slammed into the side of the boat. But not much for deep schools. So I pulled the riggers up to 70 feet with lines at approx 47 and 60 feet on the wire. I had several more quick hard pulls that weren't sticking. Then picked up a couple more sockeye in the boat. Lost a couple more right as we were pulling lines as the sun was going down. Quit just before 7pm. Seems like the sockeye are much active shallower than when I was out last Fridag. I'd target the 40 to 70 foot water if you aren't having many hits down deeper.

Fast action for the last two hours, worth getting out still.

Still plenty of fish out there. Spectacular evening not too far from home.
Proud dad! That’s the dream! Well done Fish Doc!!

We're going leave from Point Roberts spend a couple hours in the morning at sandheads, hopefully get a couple sockeye. Then head over to Ambleside. Then keeping the boat at mosquito. But if I were leaving from north van in the morning I'd go to Ambleside.
But what if you were to launch at say , McDonald ? Kind of in between the 2 areas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back