2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We started at BB around 1030 fished until 1230- had a mother hoard of fish around my boat for a bit-no bite
Decided to pull the pin and head to t-10- found some fish- the bites seem to come on then go flat for a while- ended up 3 for 9- 1 was a big wild coho that went everywhere it should not around the boat- nuts-released it without pulling it in the boat- the barbless hook just slipped out- just like 6 that didnt hang on- 1 of which flopped out of the net as the hook popped- the longer 48” leader seemed to fish better than shiort on the hooch- 50-60 ft seemed to be golden

Attachments

• CAC335F4-8148-410B-9362-3272BA4CCC11.jpeg
    CAC335F4-8148-410B-9362-3272BA4CCC11.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 111
  • E6CB454B-2ACB-4442-BAEB-6438C179875D.jpeg
    E6CB454B-2ACB-4442-BAEB-6438C179875D.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 110
Life was good and life remains good.

The last few few years have been interesting but tonight everything returned full circle, The reduction of our fishing rights combined with COVID caused a dramatic change in my fishing activities over the past few years. At first I was angry as the number of fish we could retain and the times of year we could retain fish diminished but then COVID encouraged my family to deprioritize the things that we spent our personal time on. We spent less tine on the water and far more time on family, stabilizing and improving business activities and improving physical wellbeing. Not what we planned but at the end of the day, all good.

Tonight, the second day into the opening, was the reward … after struggling to read the reports yesterday while stuck in an air conditioned office, we took our usual summer weekend, Vancouver to Gulf Island boat trip tonight and managed to do the usual quick drop of the lines at Sandheads on the way over. With our fisherpup in tow, we arrived to see the killer whales at work and almost packed it in before we put the lines down. Anyways, we put the lines down, cracked open the IPAs, unleashed the pup and then proceeded to brutally lose two good fish due to stupidity before getting focus and boxing two fish and packing it in.

Fresh spring salmon on the BBQ as the sun is setting can’t be beat and tonight was unforgettable … Looking forward to dropping the lines on the trip back on Sunday and then again on Monday. Best of luck to everyone for the balance of the weekend.

Attachments

• 1655C413-9615-467D-A431-F670C4FBCDD4.jpeg
    1655C413-9615-467D-A431-F670C4FBCDD4.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 184
  • E8D5237A-FEB7-4F09-BA36-B7FC3957661B.jpeg
    E8D5237A-FEB7-4F09-BA36-B7FC3957661B.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 71A2F3C7-7E95-4756-8339-AA7026897A7A.jpeg
    71A2F3C7-7E95-4756-8339-AA7026897A7A.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 01125339-9AD3-408D-AF3A-E847E0DDE0D6.jpeg
    01125339-9AD3-408D-AF3A-E847E0DDE0D6.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
We started at BB around 1030 fished until 1230- had a mother hoard of fish around my boat for a bit-no bite
Decided to pull the pin and head to t-10- found some fish- the bites seem to come on then go flat for a while- ended up 3 for 9- 1 was a big wild coho that went everywhere it should not around the boat- nuts-released it without pulling it in the boat- the barbless hook just slipped out- just like 6 that didnt hang on- 1 of which flopped out of the net as the hook popped- the longer 48” leader seemed to fish better than shiort on the hooch- 50-60 ft seemed to be golden
wow, that is a long leader!

The last few few years have been interesting but tonight everything returned full circle, The reduction of our fishing rights combined with COVID caused a dramatic change in my fishing activities over the past few years. At first I was angry as the number of fish we could retain and the times of year we could retain fish diminished but then COVID encouraged my family to deprioritize the things that we spent our personal time on. We spent less tine on the water and far more time on family, stabilizing and improving business activities and improving physical wellbeing. Not what we planned but at the end of the day, all good.

Tonight, the second day into the opening, was the reward … after struggling to read the reports yesterday while stuck in an air conditioned office, we took our usual summer weekend, Vancouver to Gulf Island boat trip tonight and managed to do the usual quick drop of the lines at Sandheads on the way over. With our fisherpup in tow, we arrived to see the killer whales at work and almost packed it in before we put the lines down. Anyways, we put the lines down, cracked open the IPAs, unleashed the pup and then proceeded to brutally lose two good fish due to stupidity before boxing getting or focus and boxing two fish and packing it in.

Fresh spring salmon on the BBQ as the sun is setting can’t be beat and tonight was unforgettable … Looking forward to dropping the lines on the troop back on Sunday and then again on Monday. Best of luck to everyone for the balance of the weekend.
I was wondering where you were. Great to hear from you again! Have a great trip and hope to see you out there.

Tonight, the second day into the opening, was the reward … after struggling to read the reports yesterday while stuck in an air conditioned office, we took our usual summer weekend, Vancouver to Gulf Island boat trip tonight and managed to do the usual quick drop of the lines at Sandheads on the way over. With our fisherpup in tow, we arrived to see the killer whales at work and almost packed it in before we put the lines down. Anyways, we put the lines down, cracked open the IPAs, unleashed the pup and then proceeded to brutally lose two good fish due to stupidity before boxing getting or focus and boxing two fish and packing it in.

Fresh spring salmon on the BBQ as the sun is setting can’t be beat and tonight was unforgettable … Looking forward to dropping the lines on the troop back on Sunday and then again on Monday. Best of luck to everyone for the balance of the weekend.
You’ve inspired me, @Teja, to make this post. I wasn’t going to post another report because my information is the same as everyone else’s - 41’-48’ was best, with the shallowest coming at 37’ and the deepest at 62’. Bait for us, all day.

But here’s what I really want to say…

I, too, have been feeling angry - almost despondent - about the management of the fishery in the Vancouver area. Family obligations at this point in my life mean destination fishing trips aren’t really in the cards for me and the Dorman Point’s cruising speed of six knots restricts my range to Vancouver, Howe Sound and the lower Sunshine Coast. I am essentially now limited to the winter fishery and a bit of coho fishing in the summer.

The closures have had a real effect on my fishing mojo. I’ve wondered more than once over the last couple of years about whether my life-long passion for fishing had come to an end with the restrictions on our opportunities locally. I almost pulled the plug on opening day when I saw 17 knots of SE wind and was facing an hour-and-half cruise to get to T10 from my marina. I just didn’t know if I really wanted to go.

But, thankfully, I didn’t pull the plug. Instead, I took my dad fishing, the day before his 79th birthday. Turns out the day was as much a gift for me as it was meant to be for him. This is why I fish, and they can’t ever take this away from me.

Attachments

• DD79646A-757E-4A36-9FFC-2930FB73DA81.jpeg
    DD79646A-757E-4A36-9FFC-2930FB73DA81.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 194
Yesterday at T10. Unbelievable! Best hour and a half fishing probably ever! Leave the dock at 10:30 ish back by 2 to have beers and wings!
Oh yeah....same same hootchies and spoons 45 to 70 feet. Man they hit like freight trains!

Attachments

• IMG-20220902-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220902-WA0007.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG-20220902-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220902-WA0003.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 218
Buddy is coming in from Gambier to coal harbor now in a 42' ketch. Says boats are being turned back at the Fraser and its rolling 3' there. I think it's fishable off the SH but getting there is going to be a chore. I'm going to see if the winds drop mid day and take my shot then.

Also the hoochie classic is on I believe supposedly "a hundred boats" off the SH.

Last edited:
Fishing Capilano River to Point Atkinson this morning for a change, Lumpy in the harbour here, I can just imagine what it would be like further down. 12 to 15 boats here. Fed a seal a beauty chinook, took one of my favourite flashers and spoons with him.

Should’ve worn my long pants today! The sun is behind the clouds and the wind is whipping pretty good.

Easy limits for us this morning, home already and prepping for the smoke. It's that time of year that our neighbour's keep their windows closed.

All 65' on my go to Pesca 3.5" spoons, wish they still sold those. No flasher and trolling 3mph.

Was a bit bumpy enroute but lightened up closer to Sandheads. Much easier trip back to the marina.

Could not keep both rods in the water.

Have fun and be safe out there. Wear your life jacket.
Which Pesca spoons are you using. I have some as well, love the quality.

Easy limits for us this morning, home already and prepping for the smoke. It's that time of year that our neighbour's keep their windows closed.

All 65' on my go to Pesca 3.5" spoons, wish they still sold those. No flasher and trolling 3mph.

Was a bit bumpy enroute but lightened up closer to Sandheads. Much easier trip back to the marina.

Could not keep both rods in the water.

Have fun and be safe out there. Wear your life jacket.

Which marina did you run out from? I'm heading soon, from mcm, time to wash the boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back