2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way to do that would be to close it to all species, and we don’t want that to happen.
I agree. It's the wording that's frustrating me most here. Some guys will take advantage of that, and some guys won't like myself. And by the sounds of it, the guides are saying that difference means no fishing. I still want someone to explain how you target one salmon over the next. Even when I'm fishing sockeye we're catching Chinook. I'm not advocating for less fishing here, I want a clearer picture of what we can and can't do.

So worked Gower point again, gave it one more try until Sept 1st opening. Was rewarded with a 65, a 67cm anchovies with chartreuse UV head, black flasher, very red springs doe's and lost a larger one , spat hook 20 feet behind boat, flasher almost smoked us in the head hitting cabin behind us. Bad experience on way back though, a boat was on our Prawn traps! Horseshoe bay/Bowen area . White/ grey, nicer new boat 22-24 Feet? Could see radar on top, raced away towards Squamish/ Lions Bay way, right as we came up about 1 kilometer out,, They hauled 3 of our 5 sets for us , cleaned out traps and tanging our gear. Was checking one of our local spots and had some jumbos in it , was very upset we lost 60% to thieves. With expensive boat like that , think they would have the money to buy their own prawn traps and set their own, instead of stealing other peoples prawn? Fellow at dock said same boat hit his crab traps. He reported it to DFO and RCMP and they did nothing. I was as too far away to get 13K number and we weren't sure they hit the traps until we hauled them. Putting boat away until the 1st, bit disenchanted, tight lies all.
I wonder if its that same kingfisher from last season or the season before? Someone on here caught them doing the same thing....

The reasoning behind the "NO fishing for chinook" was they did not want to create a catched and release fishery. Where boats go out an intentionally target chinook.

Nothing wrong with going out there to fish for coho, I've caught some between july 15 and october 15 between south bowen to sand heads.

The reason why guides stay away from the area if they are not targeting pinks or coho is they know that if to many chinook are caught then it will turn from "no fishing for Chinook" To "no fishing for salmon"

nothing wrong with going out there to fish for coho or in odd years pinks.

Its more DFO BS

The reasoning behind the "NO fishing for chinook" was they did not want to create a catched and release fishery. Where boats go out an intentionally target chinook.

Nothing wrong with going out there to fish for coho, I've caught some between july 15 and october 15 between south bowen to sand heads.

The reason why guides stay away from the area if they are not targeting pinks or coho is they know that if to many chinook are caught then it will turn from "no fishing for Chinook" To "no fishing for salmon"

nothing wrong with going out there to fish for coho or in odd years pinks.

Its more DFO BS
The reason why guides stay away from the area if they are not targeting pinks or coho is they know that if to many chinook are caught then it will turn from "no fishing for Chinook" To "no fishing for salmon" Except for the Gill nets in the River of course.

This is now really veering off topic. Again, there is plenty of space in the Conservation forum to discuss DFO and their restrictions, rules etc. Other than new notices regarding updates to current regulations, this type of discussion needs to cease in this thread.

I agree. It's the wording that's frustrating me most here. Some guys will take advantage of that, and some guys won't like myself. And by the sounds of it, the guides are saying that difference means no fishing. I still want someone to explain how you target one salmon over the next. Even when I'm fishing sockeye we're catching Chinook. I'm not advocating for less fishing here, I want a clearer picture of what we can and can't do.
Didn’t mean to like the post. You simply release the salmon you can’t keep, I don’t understand that’s so hard to get. Gaff release in the water…..

Didn’t mean to like the post. You simply release the salmon you can’t keep, I don’t understand that’s so hard to get. Gaff release in the water…..
That sounds just like non retention. Hmmmn

To me, if an area is open to coho and pinks or whatever it is, that's what I would target. Its the same as getting rockfish while fishing for other species. It happens. We have nowhere to fish anymore anyway so take it while we can. As long as you don't have bonked Chinook in your boat who cares! We just want to fish!

That sounds just like non retention. Hmmmn
My 2 cents. It's just a bad rule. There is no way to prove that you are fishing for Chinook and not coho. It's the same gear. Is DFO gonna clock your trolling speed? Can't see that fine holding up in court. I believe the spirit of the rule is, don't be out there playing catch and release with chinook. Running long leaders and large Herring etc.

My 2 cents. It's just a bad rule. There is no way to prove that you are fishing for Chinook and not coho. It's the same gear. Is DFO gonna clock your trolling speed? Can't see that fine holding up in court. I believe the spirit of the rule is, don't be out there playing catch and release with chinook. Running long leaders and large Herring etc.
Can keep pinks and coho ? So no it’s not non retention of salmon.
Anyway let’s not ask for more closures.
You're all right. And I'm just being a **** about this because I think our "leaders" should set a better example. This whole rule is a joke. There shouldn't have to be any kind of "spirit" in law. God I hate them all.

Anyone finding coho’s of west van shoreline or cap these days? I’m gonna head out tomo midday and will likely start with targeting some Ho’s. Will report on any success tomorrow.

Anyone finding coho’s of west van shoreline or cap these days? I’m gonna head out tomo midday and will likely start with targeting some Ho’s. Will report on any success tomorrow.
Would look by Ambleside. Had a few jump near me Sunday morning and Aquaholic got a nice one in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back