2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out for a late afternoon troll last night around the high slack. Lighthouse. Fisheries. And almost to the pink apartments. Nothing and not much at all on sounder. There was nothing fishy about it. And didn’t see anybody else even trying their luck.
Ditto, a noticeable lack of other boats in that area right now.

Sillyness. Thank you
Very silly indeed…
Also, seeing if I got this correct… (per FN0692) the portions of 29-3 to 29-5 east of the line Gower to Shah (on Valdez) is still closed to chinook until Aug 31? Previously this was “until further notice…”

So, if I’m correct: Tomorrow (Jul 15) chinook retention up to 80cm in 29-1 & 29-2
Aug 1 adds 29-3 to 29-5 except the massive portion excluded above (including sand heads etc) and of course that north arm section mentioned above. So basically just more area around thrasher. And some areas within the gulf islands.
So no chinook retention around south arm until Sept 1. Weak. Pretty sure we all know how much opportunities we’re gonna get for sockeye this year…

I see thats area is already outlined on my Garmin charts. Takes a big chunk of area out for Sockeye fishing if it opens this year

I see thats area is already outlined on my Garmin charts. Takes a big chunk of area out for Sockeye fishing if it opens this year
I noticed that too, I recently posted the Navionics chart plus this one and wondered if it was added to our Garmin/Navionics data to coincide with the SRKW regs, or if DFO chose the area using lines that were always there.

Last edited:
This map is usually distributed with that SRKW notice.

View attachment 82320

This says it all. DFO is so out to lunch. Biology degrees mean nothing, bunch of sheep who listen to politicians and have no gumption. I would like to see some biologists stand up and ask how a few sport boats with a couple hooks off of UBC has any detriment to whales. Meanwhile the DFO completely wiped out the herring fishery in 2021, Chinook salmons main diet.

Killer whales dont chase around a 8 pound spring. They will chase an 18 pound spring or bigger. Bring back the herring = Bigger Salmon = Problem solved.

Report side: I have been fishing offshore entrance to thrasher couple times over past week, and my opinion average size is 8 pounds... years back (2008-15) I would say 12-15 pounds was average IMO

Staying at Silva Bay the next couple nights. Went out this eve after arriving to test the waters. Fished 2 hrs, 9 Chinook to the boat. Probably 14 hits total. Of the 9 to the boat there were 5 over 62cm (most around 70). One was well over 80cm. Good fight from all of them, even the unders. Almost all hits popped the clip.

Fish everywhere from 50-175 (we didn't go lower than 175). 3.5" Spoons and various hoochies all produced equally. Didn't try bait.

Staying at Silva Bay the next couple nights. Went out this eve after arriving to test the waters. Fished 2 hrs, 9 Chinook to the boat. Probably 14 hits total. Of the 9 to the boat there were 5 over 62cm (most around 70). One was well over 80cm. Good fight from all of them, even the unders. Almost all hits popped the clip.

Fish everywhere from 50-175 (we didn't go lower than 175). 3.5" Spoons and various hoochies all produced equally. Didn't try bait.
Heading to Pages Saturday! Thanks for the report.

Nice GWT75

Good news to hear GWT75 were u at thrasher? In tight or out deep?

One boat working Entrance from what I can tell.. windfinder suggesting it's 17 knots out there but not a chance. Half a dozen boats at Snake / the Fingers. Happy opening day everyone, let's see some photos!

Attachments

• 16578986808294029123492830868871.jpg
    16578986808294029123492830868871.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 85
One boat working Entrance from what I can tell.. windfinder suggesting it's 17 knots out there but not a chance. Half a dozen boats at Snake / the Fingers. Happy opening day everyone, let's see some photos!
Scratch that, took out the binoculars and it's howling in the straight. If you are on this side already tucking in behind entrance or tight to snake seems to be the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back