2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit my last two fish of the season last year off the corner at Roger Curtis. I'll be at the dock with a hole in my wallet and no faith in anyone anymore. Best of luck guys.
Hey Rain City, Grandfather, uncle and cousin were boat builders ( see link below = my family) and I trained under them "old school" ( kicked in butt if did something wrong), for entire youth and beyond. Built my own boat with dad and was helping family with everything nautical related bow to stern, including rebuilding 440 Chryslers since I was 11 years old etc. all you could imagine for 40 years ( not my present trade - weekends only).

May I offer to lend a hand with anything? I make a good living , so don't need any compensation. This is a private exclusive offer as you have been very much a gentleman to me here in this forum.

And a word out all please to my cousin = Mike Gooldrup who just passed, a phenomenal man and a super-talented boat-builder.

Hey Rain City, Grandfather, uncle and cousin were boat builders ( see link below = my family) and I trained under them "old school" ( kicked in butt if did something wrong), for entire youth and beyond. Built my own boat with dad and was helping family with everything nautical related bow to stern, including rebuilding 440 Chryslers since I was 11 years old etc. all you could imagine for 40 years ( not my present trade - weekends only).

May I offer to lend a hand with anything? I make a good living , so don't need any compensation. This is a private exclusive offer as you have been very much a gentleman to me here in this forum.

And a word out all please to my cousin = Mike Gooldrup who just passed, a phenomenal man and a super-talented boat-builder.

Wow. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. There are some amazing people on this forum and I'm finding myself more and more committed to this community and lifestyle because if it. That is a VERY generous offer so thank you. Right now it's just a waiting game as parts are half off and waiting for repair. One of those frustrating things that would be more complicated to cut off half done. I'll unfortunately have to keep waiting, and I've come to terms with it. I appreciate your kind words, again. Hopefully by next week I'll be back up and running and those lings and prawns better be ready for what's coming.

Thursday midnight is the closure cut-off. No chinook retention on Friday. Not too hard to find the fishing notice on DFO's website:

"The plan is to start the 2022 fishing season (beginning April 1, 2022) with measures in place at the beginning of last season, until further notice. As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice.

The management measures for Fraser Chinook are outlined below.

Southern BC waters: Vancouver Area (Areas 28,29)

Strait of Georgia - South - Area 28 and Subarea 29-8 (excluding those portions listed as closed below):

April 1, 2022, until further notice: Chinook non-retention."

Thursday midnight is the closure cut-off. No chinook retention on Friday. Not too hard to find the fishing notice on DFO's website:

"The plan is to start the 2022 fishing season (beginning April 1, 2022) with measures in place at the beginning of last season, until further notice. As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice.

The management measures for Fraser Chinook are outlined below.

Southern BC waters: Vancouver Area (Areas 28,29)

Strait of Georgia - South - Area 28 and Subarea 29-8 (excluding those portions listed as closed below):

April 1, 2022, until further notice: Chinook non-retention."
I thought 28-6 is still open?

Just saw Korsch hit the dock at horseshoe with another 2 man limit , one of very handsome size! I know he was fishing entrance allot earlier this season. Wondering if that’s where he’s been
From his Twitter feed ... "With the forecast inflow winds for Howe Sound, we decided to hit Gabriola today. It was a good call. Landed 5 legal Chinook to 79 cm, and had a shot at a handful of others. 4” Tomic plug was the hot ticket for the larger fish. All but the biggest were hatchery…too bad politics will be shutting down a great fishery for hatchery Chinook bought and paid for by tax dollars in a couple days"

from David Korsch post. Bought and paid for by tax dollars??? Hatchery clip chinook? If we start targeting only hatch clips I wonder what the USA would do in retaliation ? We’re all pissed but politics are politics and u have to try to keep natives from netting early springs, we just pay the price

From his Twitter feed ... "With the forecast inflow winds for Howe Sound, we decided to hit Gabriola today. It was a good call. Landed 5 legal Chinook to 79 cm, and had a shot at a handful of others. 4” Tomic plug was the hot ticket for the larger fish. All but the biggest were hatchery…too bad politics will be shutting down a great fishery for hatchery Chinook bought and paid for by tax dollars in a couple days"
Amen…

You're the only guy I've seen underestimated your fish size. Last summer when you probably had 35# fish you guessed 25-30#. Now this message to raincity. Old Deckhand you are a class act.

You're the only guy I've seen underestimated your fish size. Last summer when you probably had 35# fish you guessed 25-30#. Now this message to raincity. Old Deckhand you are a class act.
Thank-you for the kind words Brett83, blame the core family values = mutual respect and helping out the fellow boater/fisherman. And people don't forget when you stop and help - and certainly don't forget when you motor right by and don't. I'd like to think most of us here are the kind of people that will stop and help considering we already try and help each other here by exchanging useful tips ( thank-you for that all) . Hope we all have a good 2022 , share some good stories, and get some tasty fish for our families.

Was thinking of going to thrasher yesterday seems you would have a good shot at a decent fish. The ob had some sort of vapor lock on the oil feed to outboard tank and had to fill up the main manually so wouldnt of been able to make the distance.

Fish south bowen and hole in wall 4 unders. got some prawns away from bowen.

Had high hopes for the afternoon/evening flood off South Bowen but not much shaking. Couple shorts, that’s was all. Very fishy feel, fair bit of bait and lots of birds off RC but not to be. Worked 117-147 chartreuse and green combos spoons n hootchies. Stunning evening nonetheless

67cm fish caught this evening at halkett point around 6pm. ~150ft of water fishing at 117 on the rigger black blade phantom flasher with small herring aid. Stuffed to the guys with herring and needlefish. Bright red inside
A couple shakers, one orange rock fish (not sure the specific species name).

About 40 seals driving a school of herring down to the bottom, slapping their tails and fins on the surface then diving down to get the fish. Cool to see

beauty evening.

One more day folks. Where’s every one who’s headed out thinking of fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back