2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skipped work to get out yesterday. Had a look around UBC, bell to QA nada, no bait, no bites, lots of dolphins.
Pulled up and went to Tunstall. One missed and one just under released, 120ft depth green glo hoochie South end of Tunstall. 3 other boats there.
As we pulled up for the day a pod of orcas cruised by; made for a great day to be out, a bit foggy but seas calm as glass.
Watch out for the logs and debris south of entrance to Queen Charlotte strait, south of Cowan.

IMG_4545.jpg

Fished 12:00pm to 2:00pm at Tunstall Bay yesterday. 3 fish on: 1 lost, 1 undersized, 1 lovely fat hatchery keeper. Fish were caught in 140'-155'.

Picked up and went to Grace Island from 2:00pm to 4:00pm and it was hot on the undersized fish. We truthfully lost count of the fish we landed but a good guess was 16 in the 2 hours. 4 separate doubles and all the fish were like clones – aggressive and just undersized. Fish were caught deeper – from 160' to 220' on the contours.

Chartreuse hoochie and chartreuse glow flasher on one side, irish cream glow spoon with blue / purple / silver flasher on the other and both seemed equally effective.

As mentioned above, water was calm as possible with some debris and logs in patches. Broke 2 rods and still was a beauty day out there.

They didn

They're just adding more areas to the closure list. These aren't huge areas and mainly not in the most productive parts of the Sound but I see this as part of the "death by a thousand cuts" program. Not sure how much "consultation" has been happening with the SFAB but the timing of the notice is definitely questionable. Issued on Friday, effictive as of today!!

For the last few years, we haven't been able to retain Chinooks after April 1st anyway so let's enjoy the winter fisheries in area 28 while we still can. :confused:

View attachment 74015
So it i fish too far out from the waterfall or too far past grace will i be groundtruthing. What does that mean? the dark grey areas

So it i fish too far out from the waterfall or too far past grace will i be groundtruthing. What does that mean? the dark grey areas
Just don't drop a trap in the green highlighted area and you'll be fine. DR fishing is open in those parts:

1642641743259.png

I've put the coordinates in my sounder and it gives me a general idea of where prawning/crabbing is a no-no.

Got out yesterday and it was a great day to be on the water - flat and no wind. One run along Ambleside to pink palace but no bait no arches and no bite. Then tried one run from Cowan Pt along the south of Bowen but no bait no arches and no bite. Then motored to Tunstall to join the 10 other boats already there and after 45 minutes of running gear near the bottom hooked into a nice keeper on an Irish cream then 15 minutes later a double header on the Irish cream and anchovy. I started out initially with homeland security and avocado Dream and it was only when I switched to the green and white of the Irish cream that I hit fish. Saw several other boats land fish so would be good to hear what lures they were using.

Anyone find any fish today? No love at tunstal for us today . Didn’t venture too far as was just me and my 7 yr old daughter. Lots of fun non the less . Came home with a few prawns at least
I was in Tunstall for a couple hours this a.m. and boxed one spunky little keeper and released a couple that were just undersized. There were two massive and incredibly dense bait balls that were +/- 75 ft to 100ft in height that I passed thru a number of times and that sent the fishing rods into grilse like vibration each time thru … couldn’t find a salmon in the bat balls.

Absolutely stunning morning our there … wish I could do it all over again tomorrow.

I was in Tunstall for a couple hours this a.m. and boxed one spunky little keeper and released a couple that were just undersized. There were two massive and incredibly dense bait balls that were +/- 75 ft to 100ft in height that I passed thru a number of times and that sent the fishing rods into grilse like vibration each time thru … couldn’t find a salmon in the bat balls.

Absolutely stunning morning our there … wish I could do it all over again tomorrow.
I didn’t see too much out there today from 9-12 . Couple small bait balls which hit a couple shakers . Nothing worth noting .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back