2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this yesterday...a little louder today.

Some of this conversation is heading into the Conservation realm and can be had in that section. I know reports are difficult right now, but members still expect us to keep the various threads on topic.

Thanks.

Fished on Wednesday. For sturgeon, we got a couple huge fish. Quite the experience. So I took the same crew out today up to Puerto Cove. We caught two nice Ling cods. One shaker and one nice hatch Chinook. That's three lingcod for me in different areas of the howesound in two weeks. None in the previous two years. We also loaded up on prawns for the boys to take home with them. Great day.

Fished on Wednesday. For sturgeon, we got a couple huge fish. Quite the experience. So I took the same crew out today up to Puerto Cove. We caught two nice Ling cods. One shaker and one nice hatch Chinook. That's three lingcod for me in different areas of the howesound in two weeks. None in the previous two years. We also loaded up on prawns for the boys to take home with them. Great day.
Are there many divers, diver down flags at Porteau this time of year? I pop in there on my motorcycle often and always seem to see dive activity.

Fished the low tide today, from 10:45 am to 12:45 pm, N of Gower Point toward Chaster Creek, where I'm pretty confident it's open for catch and release.

Lots of dropoffs and humps in the contours. Some bait, mostly between 150' and 180'. Some fish marked but no real clusters or strong schools. Nothing to mention running into the wind heading N so made the turn S and homeward.

At 145' on the downrigger, got a strike and it was one of those hits where you lift the rod and pull the line from the clip and there's no change in the tug. A solid fish was on the line. Loosened off the drag a bit and tacked into deeper water. A couple of runs and then that silver shape visible through the surface of the water.

Netted, unhooked, quick photo and then back into the drink. Kicked away strongly with its dorsal fin cutting the waves.

IMG_4800.jpg

(Apologies for the crappy photo. Solo fishing has its downsides.)

I didn't tape this fish but the gaff handle is 24" so a decent guess would be 30" (~75cms), and still out there!

Also ran through a flock of a few hundred puffins that I hadn't seen around before, and a pod of porpoises ran along parallel with me for a few minutes. Beauty day on the water.

Fished the low tide today, from 10:45 am to 12:45 pm, N of Gower Point toward Chaster Creek, where I'm pretty confident it's open for catch and release.

Lots of dropoffs and humps in the contours. Some bait, mostly between 150' and 180'. Some fish marked but no real clusters or strong schools. Nothing to mention running into the wind heading N so made the turn S and homeward.

At 145' on the downrigger, got a strike and it was one of those hits where you lift the rod and pull the line from the clip and there's no change in the tug. A solid fish was on the line. Loosened off the drag a bit and tacked into deeper water. A couple of runs and then that silver shape visible through the surface of the water.

Netted, unhooked, quick photo and then back into the drink. Kicked away strongly with its dorsal fin cutting the waves.

View attachment 78789

I didn't tape this fish but the gaff handle is 24" so a decent guess would be 30" (~75cms), and still out there!

Also ran through a flock of a few hundred puffins that I hadn't seen around before, and a pod of porpoises ran along parallel with me for a few minutes. Beauty day on the water.
Sweet, and that 300 Yamaha. Was there any bait showing when you got the hit? There was none on the screen when I was getting hits in my recent outings.

Are there many divers, diver down flags at Porteau this time of year? I pop in there on my motorcycle often and always seem to see dive activity.
No divers. There was good wind. I have no idea how it works but I rarely see them in rough conditions.

I’m pretty sure the area, within the marker buoys is a marine park and dive area and off limits for fishing and boating. 20 years ago I was pulling up to the boat launch and had some divers surface in front of me. They were off course and out of the dive area. Could’ve been bad. Be aware if you’re boating in the area. Watch for bubbles
I dove there 2 years ago and had a sizeable female ling, guarding her eggs take a run at me. I had to use my fins to ward her off.

Attachments

• 8E23FD9B-5B45-45BD-ACB6-E55A65E7A8AA.png
    8E23FD9B-5B45-45BD-ACB6-E55A65E7A8AA.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 74E35540-CB0B-431F-9264-EB88F9A0EC7A.png
    74E35540-CB0B-431F-9264-EB88F9A0EC7A.png
    263.1 KB · Views: 44

View attachment 78789

Puffins ? Most likely Auklets

I tucked into Tunstall today to hide from the wind and currents, came home early though as the forecast was not looking good for the afternoon for wind. VHF on steady with updates all morning. Around 8 boats out in the area. No Bananas flasher was out performing everything the last 2 months so I bought another, both rods were reacting well. Lots of military vessels in Vancouver Harbour, coast guard and RCMP aircraft noticeable last night and today.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the area, within the marker buoys is a marine park and dive area and off limits for fishing and boating. 20 years ago I was pulling up to the boat launch and had some divers surface in front of me. They were off course and out of the dive area. Could’ve been bad. Be aware if you’re boating in the area. Watch for bubbles
I dove there 2 years ago and had a sizeable female ling, guarding her eggs take a run at me. I had to use my fins to ward her off.
One of Canada's mining magnates built a house in West Van on the water that I did a bunch of custom glazing on, he told me he had to keep an area on the bank clear that had (I think) limestone, and there were "resident ling cod" there that Fisheries knew about and monitored. Apparently they are territorial, although yours may have been acting maternal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back