2022 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hooked on TUUUUUNNNNAAAAA!
What a whirlwind 36 hours. Got the call Thursday from @Aces ,his buddy Johnny had an opening due to "the incident". Caught a ferry Friday afternoon, on the water at 5:30AM. Bit of a grind as the fish had moved out. Ended up at 60 miles. Lot's of singles bit finally had a good bite where we had a quad, a triple and a few doubles. Ended up with 27, which by the sounds of it was pretty good for the day. Can't wait to do it again.
View attachment 85278View attachment 85279View attachment 85280View attachment 85281
The smile says it all! What an amazing first trip!

@wdlfbio what were you using for lures? Looked like one or two slow pitch reels in the mix? I subscribed to your channel, nice work on making the trek. Hope the Bamfield Shootout is in your future.

We run quite the variety. Love the slow pitch gear for sure. Our buddy owns Hookers and Blow (kites and SPJ GEAR) in Westport, so we get a fair bit from his shop. Our iron reels were Ocea Jigger, Accurate BV 300spj and a BV 400 (at least until one of the guys lost it at hookup on day 1…), Tranx 300AHG, Tranx400AHG (actually my favorite), and one other level wind I hadn’t heard of. It was just a tad larger than the Tranx400.

In addition to the various SPJs, we dropped flatfalls and flatsides. We were extremely surprised at how SLOW of an action these fish wanted. We probably caught 175 of the 200ish on iron and most of those were just as we moved the jig after it hanging after the drop or during a slow drop. Ripping jigs through the water column was not productive.

We run quite the variety. Love the slow pitch gear for sure. Our buddy owns Hookers and Blow (kites and SPJ GEAR) in Westport, so we get a fair bit from his shop. Our iron reels were Ocea Jigger, Accurate BV 300spj and a BV 400 (at least until one of the guys lost it at hookup on day 1…), Tranx 300AHG, Tranx400AHG (actually my favorite), and one other level wind I hadn’t heard of. It was just a tad larger than the Tranx400.

In addition to the various SPJs, we dropped flatfalls and flatsides. We were extremely surprised at how SLOW of an action these fish wanted. We probably caught 175 of the 200ish on iron and most of those were just as we moved the jig after it hanging after the drop or during a slow drop. Ripping jigs through the water column was not productive.
Whelp, guess I have to book another trip!
"Honey, this is a TOTALLY different thing than last time!"

Whelp, guess I have to book another trip!
"Honey, this is a TOTALLY different thing than last time!"

I told a couple other folks at the docks, it is a whole ‘nother level of investment, in gear and time on the boat. The basis for troll rods and reels is big enough to handle yarding fish in and line capacity for keeping trolling while hooked up. Huge reels, 30-100# line, broomstick rods, etc will get it done. But jigging well, and comfortably all day, takes very light weight setups, proper rod action, jigs matched to line diameter, and reel capacity for the long runs (light line is a must). You won’t last long jigging with Penn 4/0s or Talica 20s and ugly sticks.

Ya also want everyone on the boat fishing. To begin with, at least 1 rod per person. Each of us has a couple different setups with different jigs tied up. I don’t know if it’s more science or art, but a great challenge to tackle. The controlled chaos of 3-5 on at once, while just drifting along, and each is going 18 different ways from Sunday, is tough to beat.

I told a couple other folks at the docks, it is a whole ‘nother level of investment, in gear and time on the boat. The basis for troll rods and reels is big enough to handle yarding fish in and line capacity for keeping trolling while hooked up. Huge reels, 30-100# line, broomstick rods, etc will get it done. But jigging well, and comfortably all day, takes very light weight setups, proper rod action, jigs matched to line diameter, and reel capacity for the long runs (light line is a must). You won’t last long jigging with Penn 4/0s or Talica 20s and ugly sticks.

Ya also want everyone on the boat fishing. To begin with, at least 1 rod per person. Each of us has a couple different setups with different jigs tied up. I don’t know if it’s more science or art, but a great challenge to tackle. The controlled chaos of 3-5 on at once, while just drifting along, and each is going 18 different ways from Sunday, is tough to beat.
I would definitely see this being my preferred method rather than the trolling I see being done. It’s all about fighting the fish and feeling the fish for me. Running some nice size spin cast reels on 9’ rods heck ya. This method looks like incredible fun.

It starts with Albacore then goes downhill fast. I had a few trips cancelled out of Westport due to weather and or mechanical issues then jumped on the San Diego scene. Way too addictive.
I've had a little birdie assassin bugging me about his SD trips for a while now lol. Next. Level.

I've had a little birdie assassin bugging me about his SD trips for a while now lol. Next. Level.
DO IT!
9th year for me
If you like 20lb Albies on the troll
You LUV 30-50 yft on live sardines and bites with a freespooled reel in your hand not the rod holder

Attachments

• IMG-20181116-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20181116-WA0002.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 209
  • PA010042.JPG
    PA010042.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20181117_163349_HDR.jpg
    20181117_163349_HDR.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20171115_084105_HDR.jpg
    20171115_084105_HDR.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 193
  • 20171114_120942_HDR.jpg
    20171114_120942_HDR.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 201
Heading down to fish the Tres Maria’s, 130 miles offshore PV on my buddies 65 Donzi sport fish . Oct 31 - Nov 21 , will be staying on board for 6 days at a time fishing for cows . The same area that Marlas fishes. Cannot wait , hoping to finally break the magic 300 lb number. Bucket list trip .

Attachments

• 277AECFC-667D-4332-BCA9-D4D3CD706F2C.png
    277AECFC-667D-4332-BCA9-D4D3CD706F2C.png
    774 KB · Views: 129
Heading down to fish the Tres Maria’s, 130 miles offshore PV on my buddies 65 Donzi sport fish . Oct 31 - Nov 21 , will be staying on board for 6 days at a time fishing for cows . The same area that Marlas fishes. Cannot wait , hoping to finally break the magic 300 lb number. Bucket list trip .
Oh wow! What a trip!

9 years nice. How far out the last few years?
Umm.. Thats not quite the right question..
They are 8 to 12 day adventures.
You can fish bft up at Connors bank north of LA.. Or almost all the way down baja to Cabo.
Each trip is a bit different.
Typically they do Cedros Island area, Alijos rocks ( seaspires 150mi offshore) and 'the Ridge' about 40-60 offshore from Magdelena Bay (2/3 down coast of Baja

Umm.. Thats not quite the right question..
They are 8 to 12 day adventures.
You can fish bft up at Connors bank north of LA.. Or almost all the way down baja to Cabo.
Each trip is a bit different.
Typically they do Cedros Island area, Alijos rocks ( seaspires 150mi offshore) and 'the Ridge' about 40-60 offshore from Magdelena Bay (2/3 down coast of Baja
Nice! I can see my future and it is the Baja!

Planning to do a Tuna trip this coming Saturday / Sunday if weather is as forecasted. Would be nice to have a buddy boat - anyone going?

Planning to do a Tuna trip this coming Saturday / Sunday if weather is as forecasted. Would be nice to have a buddy boat - anyone going?
out of what port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back