2022 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to reports... There was a literal and figurative ocean of tuna 40 miles out on Tuesday. Took us a couple ours to find them, but once we did there were jumpers in every direction as far as you could see. Fished four hours then pulled in the troll gear and picked up a few more casting light jigs and swim tails. Came in with 38. One boat came in with 60 and our friends from down south who are way more dialled in with jigging had over 100 to the boat and brought back 50.

Here's a couple vids from the past couple days...

Tuna mayhem...

Caught this one on the spinning rod. Our biggest fish the first day (20 lbs) was caught this way.
Great videos. Perfectly shows the synchronized mayhem involved in tuna fishing. And while hand lines are way more efficient at putting tuna on the deck, it's not fishing without a rod and reel. A lot more work but a lot more fun.

I'm hooked on TUUUUUNNNNAAAAA!
What a whirlwind 36 hours. Got the call Thursday from @Aces ,his buddy Johnny had an opening due to "the incident". Caught a ferry Friday afternoon, on the water at 5:30AM. Bit of a grind as the fish had moved out. Ended up at 60 miles. Lot's of singles bit finally had a good bite where we had a quad, a triple and a few doubles. Ended up with 27, which by the sounds of it was pretty good for the day. Can't wait to do it again.
20220917_175409.jpg20220917_091526.jpg20220917_091152.jpg20220917_073821.jpg

What a whirlwind 36 hours. Got the call Thursday from @Aces ,his buddy Johnny had an opening due to "the incident". Caught a ferry Friday afternoon, on the water at 5:30AM. Bit of a grind as the fish had moved out. Ended up at 60 miles. Lot's of singles bit finally had a good bite where we had a quad, a triple and a few doubles. Ended up with 27, which by the sounds of it was pretty good for the day. Can't wait to do it again.
View attachment 85278View attachment 85279View attachment 85280View attachment 85281
Fkn eh man. I hope to get out at some point in my life .

View attachment 85278View attachment 85279View attachment 85280View attachment 85281
I only count 26 though :p

Maybe some of you see rods setup for an exciting day and there is that-I see two headed for Davy Jones' Locker-the one's in the Scotty holder on that downrigger mount.

Nice, we were in the same area, but a bit further out. I heard Captain John say he had @Aces on board so there was no schedule today! Sounded like you guys got into them when you moved up by that black and white troller, but we headed past you on our way in shortly after (BTW, on Thursday there were 20 - 30 commercial boats all working that area so the tuna have definitely dispersed). Hope your ride in wasn’t too bumpy. Nice grade today with a couple over 20 lbs for us.

We brought back seven today and lost one on a double header at the boat. Pretty scratchy today, but put 101 in the boat this week over the five days we made it out so no complaints at all! Also picked up our limit of coho one afternoon on one of our days off with a bonus lingcod thrown in.

800C82F7-DF09-41E4-A0BE-28AB5076DE8E.jpeg523FBFB9-38B8-44B2-94B1-89F82A9FE3A2.jpeg0BD6F9DA-9518-47B5-92CC-F1724C5825F0.jpegCEBA032D-D5F5-43D0-95B2-313FC4FA431D.jpegF606778D-3CA1-4C56-945F-FFCAE2E076E4.jpegF8CD4A80-1FF8-49DE-8957-453528C83C5B.jpegA7464950-E2AA-4E48-A60C-0CB675F080E0.jpeg

Awesome!!! Is that rod on a dive board or something or fish on?

What kind of pursuit is that. Looks nice. Definitely need the larger platform for tuna.

Nice, we were in the same area, but a bit further out. I heard Captain John say he had @Aces on board so there was no schedule today! Sounded like you guys got into them when you moved up by that black and white troller, but we headed past you on our way in shortly after (BTW, on Thursday there were 20 - 30 commercial boats all working that area so the tuna have definitely dispersed). Hope your ride in wasn’t too bumpy. Nice grade today with a couple over 20 lbs for us.

We brought back seven today and lost one on a double header at the boat. Pretty scratchy today, but put 101 in the boat this week over the five days we made it out so no complaints at all! Also picked up our limit of coho one afternoon on one of our days off with a bonus lingcod thrown in.

View attachment 85282View attachment 85283View attachment 85284View attachment 85285View attachment 85287View attachment 85288View attachment 85289
ok well done on all parts but that sunset surf pic is off the chain. seriously that should be a postcard

Maybe some of you see rods setup for an exciting day and there is that-I see two headed for Davy Jones' Locker-the one's in the Scotty holder on that downrigger mount.
Just went through 8 hours of video looking for our regular scotty boom rod holder snapping off and me running over grabbing the rod. @zloy said "I have never seen someone move so fast in my life" Next time I'll be prepared to do this if it's calm and no fog https://www.facebook.com/reel/411268894402060
Glad you and @Aces got out! What a rush.

@wdlfbio what were you using for lures? Looked like one or two slow pitch reels in the mix? I subscribed to your channel, nice work on making the trek. Hope the Bamfield Shootout is in your future.

Nice work bud,that shoulda been me 2 weeks ago!!! Nice haul!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back