2022 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds cool. We do fish Sangster quite a bit. It’s about an 18 minute run from here.
be nice to stay at an inn or air B&B at secret Cove.
Upwood isn’t far from sangster. I fished it yesterday picked up a couple nice keepers about 13 /14 lbs. Worked a bait stash and we watched a pod of orcas out in the deeps of Sabine channel the whole time. Eventually they came right under our boat and close to Upwood and moved on towards Epsom pt

That sounds cool. We do fish Sangster quite a bit. It’s about an 18 minute run from here.
be nice to stay at an inn or air B&B at secret Cove.
I occasionally run over to Sangster from Thormanby, about 30 minutes. Like @ab1752 says, you can fish your way over. Easy to make a heading for Thormanby coming out of Nanoose, its white clay cliffs are quite visible that other side of the SOG. And yes, Epsom Pt is the NW tip of North Thormanby, best fished on the flood through high slack.

Cooler weather and deeper lines (140-106+) are still producing nice springs! Threw back a 91 cm / 21 lb wild yesterday out of Quarry Bay. Lost another beside the boat. A couple of shakers and just undersize as usual. Have to go back to the mainland for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I think this season will likely be finished before returning in late August but will keep checking on this page for updates!

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck on Bjerre shoals for either coho or springs. Or-- outside of Pender Harbour..
Thanks.

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck on Bjerre shoals for either coho or springs. Or-- outside of Pender Harbour..
Thanks.
Was at Epsom yesterday and Friday - it was productive. Good depths for Chinookn were 82' and 135', in about 200 to 300 FOW. Landed a marbled one right at 80 cm. Had to measure 4 times just to make sure it wasn't over!

Hey all,
I've never fished the sunshine coast for salmon before, although I have in Vancouver quite often. My buddy and I are going to be coming up there in a couple days so I was just wondering if anyone could give me a quick breakdown of any productive spots for chinook on the coast. It would also be great if you could be a bit specific with location and depths as I'm not super familiar with the area. Any information is very much appreaciated!
Cheers

Hey all,
I've never fished the sunshine coast for salmon before, although I have in Vancouver quite often. My buddy and I are going to be coming up there in a couple days so I was just wondering if anyone could give me a quick breakdown of any productive spots for chinook on the coast. It would also be great if you could be a bit specific with location and depths as I'm not super familiar with the area. Any information is very much appreaciated!
Cheers
Maybe read thru this thread and make note of where the posters mention? Then you can look at a chart plotter and figure out where to try

Thanks.
I usually fish north Bjerre as it’s closest to home. July was good when the season opened. Lots in the 10-13 lb range. August has been relatively slow. At times lots of shakers but sometimes there’s nothing. If you fish long enough you’ll eventually get something legal if you don’t get bored first.

Sunset the last couple nights has been decent.

I usually fish north Bjerre as it’s closest to home. July was good when the season opened. Lots in the 10-13 lb range. August has been relatively slow. At times lots of shakers but sometimes there’s nothing. If you fish long enough you’ll eventually get something legal if you don’t get bored first.

Sunset the last couple nights has been decent.
Thanks. We tried Bjerre for a couple of hours this week. We only jig and had no salmon hits. Have any coho shown up??

Thanks. We tried Bjerre for a couple of hours this week. We only jig and had no salmon hits. Have any coho shown up??
Haven’t seen any coho. I only troll. I caught 3 springs while jigging for lingcod before the season started. Couldn’t keep them as it was too early and I was using barbed jigs.

Coho are stacked at Pirate Rock (South end Thormanby) right now. Had a blast for couple of hours jigging and releasing. Lost count after 8 or so but not one lottery fish.

View attachment 83669
Wow! Just like the late 60s. We used to go to Pirate Rock, anchor our 12 ft boat at tide change and when the water was running fast catch coho after coho near the surface. Exciting times for sure. Any jigging going on at Bjerre shoals? Or near Pender Harbour mouth??

The other boat from our cabin jigged a 15 lb spring this evening on Bjerre Shoal. I was trolling there a couple days back and hooked onto an absolute freight train. Upped the drag a bit too soon and got broken off after 5 minutes of the fight.

The other boat from our cabin jigged a 15 lb spring this evening on Bjerre Shoal. I was trolling there a couple days back and hooked onto an absolute freight train. Upped the drag a bit too soon and got broken off after 5 minutes of the fight.
Terrific. Thanks so much. Weather looks great for jigging. Did well 3 years ago in August on the shoals. Will give it a go tomorrow if all goes well.

Bombed over to Sangster from Secret Cove late yesterday afternoon for the 3:45 slack low tide. First time for me fishing Sangster so reviewed the contours and structure and trolled the SW to NW side, anywhere from 100’ to 400’.

One small fighter to the boat until I reached the NW corner where an underwater bank extends N in a finger. Then a flurry of 6 or so undersized fish, all cookie cutters in the 4-5 lbs range off the 120’ ridge. Good fun.

Dropped down into a 200’ trough E of the bank and started marking lots of fish right on the bottom. Stretched the riggers down to 205’ and this lumpy football latched on.

9F1DB661-6E52-4D82-A649-51A941AEB721.jpeg

A pretty much dead-weight fight later and he was bonked in the well. Marble flesh and 72cm on the tape, nothing in the stomach.

8110E506-677D-47A0-B797-E2170C6F7E3E.jpeg

30+ knots back across the flat, open water feeling that “pinch me” sense the whole way back.

Fished outside of A frame down entrance of Agemmenmon channel in 200 feet of water picked up a few in 13 -15 lb range seal got one , snapped the leader on 2nd one and brought in this 13 lb spring. All hits were at 120 on the rigger using Green Onion flasher and splatter back glo hootchies with silver flash inserts.

Attachments

• 20220816_205453.jpg
    20220816_205453.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 89
Fished outside of A frame down entrance of Agemmenmon channel in 200 feet of water picked up a few in 13 -15 lb range seal got one , snapped the leader on 2nd one and brought in this 13 lb spring. All hits were at 120 on the rigger using Green Onion flasher and splatter back glo hootchies with silver flash inserts.
Good to know. I fished Hodgson Islands outside the Ag on Tuesday afternoon during low slack. Didn’t even get a bite.

Hit Sangster today, dropped in @10:45 ish big expectations ............. One hit? bait happening but not like the old days, nothing, the only other Gangster @ Sangster working the area had no nets in the air, OK, fish them up! off to Upwood after the tide, Yay! 2 cookies that fit the Trudeau mandate at upwood, Calm water good times happy to be out! Sent yesterday with the good folks at St Mary's in Sechelt dam they are good!

Attachments

• IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 82
Any fishing reports coming outside of Pender? We are on week two of our annual Summer trip and striking out hard! Fished Hodgson islands, A-frame, Quarry Bay and have a sun burn to show for it. Marking tons of bait and fish on the sounder but can't seem to pull one in the boat. Whats working for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back