2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was right in weeds when I caught all my springs at Rosa. Seems like that is where they were. I picked up more when I stopped checking my lines every 5 minutes.

Kelp beds and weeds they seem to like.
Interesting. I've often wondered if the weeds that get caught on either the downrigger or fishing line actually make it to the lures. Or do they make it down to the release clip and then stop there.

Still some nice ones around. We went out for a 3 day trip on Monday.
Started slow but we got into them near the end of the trip. 12 springs, 3 Coho. Some silvery ones seemed to still be going by and biggest was 21lbs.

Still some nice ones around. We went out for a 3 day trip on Monday.
Started slow but we got into them near the end of the trip. 12 springs, 3 Coho. Some silvery ones seemed to still be going by and biggest was 21lbs.
Thanks for the report. I will be fishing Nootka a lot more next year enjoying retirement.

Just got back for 6 day fishing trip in Esperanza. Had a good time, caught our limit of Springs and Coho, but fishing was fair at best. Long periods of trolling with no action. Fished Saltry, Rosa, Low Rock, Sandstone, and Double Island. Got nothing out of Low Rock and Sandstone produced a few fish but nothing much. Admittedly, it was too windy to go out for about 3 days so, we fished mostly inside. Most fish came from Salty and Double. Nice coho action at Double Island towards the end of the trip. As others have commented, the bait is very small needlefish, so coho killer and skinny G spoons produced most of the fish. Anchovie was not working for us. Need all 6 days to get our limits. There's still fish out there, but one has to put in the time to get them.

Just got back for 6 day fishing trip in Esperanza. Had a good time, caught our limit of Springs and Coho, but fishing was fair at best. Long periods of trolling with no action. Fished Saltry, Rosa, Low Rock, Sandstone, and Double Island. Got nothing out of Low Rock and Sandstone produced a few fish but nothing much. Admittedly, it was too windy to go out for about 3 days so, we fished mostly inside. Most fish came from Salty and Double. Nice coho action at Double Island towards the end of the trip. As others have commented, the bait is very small needlefish, so coho killer and skinny G spoons produced most of the fish. Anchovie was not working for us. Need all 6 days to get our limits. There's still fish out there, but one has to put in the time to get them.
Friday/Sat was good on the top end of the flood at sandstone. Hook a dozen easy in a couple hrs. Mostly mid teens bright fresh fish and smaller dark fish. Windy is an understatement. Fish are not holding but every flood is bringing in fresh fish to the likely spots.

Friday/Sat was good on the top end of the flood at sandstone. Hook a dozen easy in a couple hrs. Mostly mid teens bright fresh fish and smaller dark fish. Windy is an understatement. Fish are not holding but every flood is bringing in fresh fish to the likely spots.
Seas were too rough on those days for my boat.

Its been a busy season (finally) with Covid closures in the past. Fishing was steady for chinooks all season, probably less times when it was insanely good than last year.. We battled weeds more than I can remember in the recent past, esp at Rosa. Took a few days off after 10 weeks of no days off in Osoyoos. Some hot sunny weather and nice wines. We are taking bookings for 2023, spaces are filling up. 20220901_103534.jpg

Its been a busy season (finally) with Covid closures in the past. Fishing was steady for chinooks all season, probably less times when it was insanely good than last year.. We battled weeds more than I can remember in the recent past, esp at Rosa. Took a few days off after 10 weeks of no days off in Osoyoos. Some hot sunny weather and nice wines. We are taking bookings for 2023, spaces are filling up. View attachment 84458
Burrowing Owl?

Its been a busy season (finally) with Covid closures in the past. Fishing was steady for chinooks all season, probably less times when it was insanely good than last year.. We battled weeds more than I can remember in the recent past, esp at Rosa. Took a few days off after 10 weeks of no days off in Osoyoos. Some hot sunny weather and nice wines. We are taking bookings for 2023, spaces are filling up. View attachment 84458
You deserve your days off, Robert! You've worked so hard throughout all summer. Was great meeting you and sharing a bit of your place in fish heaven! Til next time!

Enjoy the well-earned time off, Robert! Thanks for a great season!

Coho fishing has been really good in Esperanza. No big ones yet, most are 6 to 9 lbs, lots in around the kelp beds at Rosa, Flower, and the reefs near double island. My son Alex got his first one using light spinning gear and a jig near double island. Now he only wants to jig for them! Chinook are pretty scarce, but lots of coho around. 1663200540789_image0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back