2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back after another 6 day stay at Nootka. Some days were spectacular others poor. We managed to get Springs inside and at the Lighthouse. We found first light produced best. Lots of hos at Wash. Got a small Hali offshore. We found ourselves losing a lot of fish. We could hook up but we’d long line release. Had to play with the gear to fix that. We used primarily Chovy this trip. Some average weather and snotty days offshore. Note to self, only pull boat out at Gold River with 4 feet of tide or more. It was dicey this morning. We had to load off the loading dock concrete ramp. Past the end of the concrete. Got to see that large rock though north of the seaplane dock. Wish I’d taken a pix but I was busy avoiding obstacles. It’s big and was out of the water today. Be careful there at low tide. Good luck guys.
I second that. Had to work hard for the fish we had this trip. 5 days off fishing and no limits on chinooks or coho between 4 guys. But we’re still going home with about 20 salmon. Biggest 17lbs 3 15s the rest 10-12 and a bunch of coho in the 5 pound range. Broke one off and lost another which were like 15+ and could’ve been in the 20s. Lighthouse was coho city. Mostly little rats a few 3-6lbers sprinkled in. Some luck at camel rock. Most nice fish at maquinna early in the morning. Seems we timed it wrong with our trip this year. I had slightly higher expectations for Nootka fishing wise but hey—it is was it is. I don’t think the bulk of the canuma River fish have started to stage yet. Had a good morning today with a couple coho ling. We found a hole on a 30 foot mound at maquinna the other day were we picked up about 10 black bombers in an hour. Delicious eating and the biggest I’ve ever caught.

Quick question is there water available at cougar creek. Would rather fill the camper there than haul it from Victoria.

Apparently not, according to several sources.

Cougar Creek (Gold River)​

Boating
Fishing
Boat Launch
Camping
  • Rec Site #:REC0471
  • Type:Maintained
  • Fees:$15.00 Camping
  • Fee Applies:May 13, 2022 - Sep 26, 2022
    All Days
  • Campsites:65
  • Access:Road
  • Facilities:Boat Launch
    Tables
    Toilets
    Wharfs
  • Site Operator:GOLD RIVER RESOURCES LTD.
  • Site Description:**No garbage or recycling services provided - please pack out what you pack in.

A popular destination for anglers and those wanting to explore Nootka Sound. Great views looking out over Tlupana Inlet with many campsites.

Camping Fees: $15/party, $10/senior rate - CASH ONLY

Additional Fees:$5.00/boat launch. Reserved Parking $10/night,$40/week. Firewood available for purchase. Reservations not accepted.
  • Driving Directions: From Gold River, continue west across the bridge and turn left at the junction toward Tahsis. Turn right onto the Head Bay FSR. Turn left onto Tlupana Mainline (around the 37km marker). Green and white signs guide you to Cougar Creek. Continue on past the log sort and up the Galiano Mainline. The site is located on the right at the bottom of the hill after you pass the a viewpoint overlooking the inlet. It is 39.6 km from the highway junction in Gold River to the entrance to Cougar Creek Rec Site (approximately 50 minutes or longer if you're towing a boat or trailer).

No water at Cougar Creek, but I fill my jugs up at the visitor centre in Gold River

Mike

Off topic but was wondering how the road from Gold River into Cougar Creek was.
Any help much appreciated

Last edited:
Great thread here, I read the whole thing! Not to hijack, feel free to tell me to post a different thread if that makes most sense, but my questions are specific to Nootka. I will be there the week of August 15-19 with my wife, my buddy and his 8 year old daughter. We're staying at Moutcha Bay resort and renting one of their rental boats (18-foot aluminum center console Quay Craft) for a couple days. I'm entirely a freshwater guy and have a fair bit of experience in a 14' on the lakes around the Island, but have never piloted a boat in the chuck. Actually, only fished saltwater twice - once off Nanoose, once off Port McNeil, guided both times. Most of my salmon fishing has been river, including the Conuma. Do have my PCOC and will be brushing up ahead of time. We'll be trolling for Salmon on the inside waters most likely. I believe they don't allow the rental boats more than 1km off the surf line on the outside anyway. Any tips for areas a couple newbs can try to have some reasonable success on the inside, without getting in over our heads or being a general PITA to the other boats in the area? Or for that matter, general etiquette if it gets crowded, which I expect it will in August? Feel free to lay fishing tips on us too, but have already got a lot of great ones from this thread already. If there is anything specific to the time we will be there or area we'll be fishing, feel free to let me know.
you will have a good chance at hot fishing on the inside. We caught a fishing trolling the bluffs right off of moutcha a few years ago. Camel rock, the wall, San Carlos, and Hoisse are all good places to go. I've always done well fishing glow white needlefish hootchies at Nootka, or anchovies. Will be there on August 6th (also renting boats at Moutcha) so I'll provide a report.

you will have a good chance at hot fishing on the inside. We caught a fishing trolling the bluffs right off of moutcha a few years ago. Camel rock, the wall, San Carlos, and Hoisse are all good places to go. I've always done well fishing glow white needlefish hootchies at Nootka, or anchovies. Will be there on August 6th (also renting boats at Moutcha) so I'll provide a report.
I’ll be at Nootka Sound Resort Aug 4-8 in my 18’ Bridgeview. Maybe we’ll see you up there!

Off topic but was wondering how the road from Gold River into Critter Cove was.
Any help much appreciated
Th HBFSR is in typical summer condition - potholes in sections, especially bridge approaches, and the KM44 hill is washboard. Dust control material has been applied so wash your truck and trailer as soon as you can. Can't speak to the condition of the Nesook spur.

Hi all -

After a 2 year Covid hiatus, my fishing group is headed back to Nootka - July 26 to Aug 2nd.

My role with the group is to make sure we know the daily and possession rules.

Attached is my best understanding of the rules - anybody see anything obviously wrong?

Thank you all for looking at it.

Attachments

• Nootka Fishing Rules 2022.pdf
    528.5 KB · Views: 205
Hi all -

After a 2 year Covid hiatus, my fishing group is headed back to Nootka - July 26 to Aug 2nd.

Attached is my best understanding of the rules - anybody see anything obviously wrong?

Sad, that the complexity of the regulations requires a spreadsheet. I'm heading up next week (Esperanza) so I have been reviewing the regs too. My understanding of the regs is consistent with yours. Looks like it is going to be hot weather next week. We were up in Nootka last year during the heat wave and the hot weather seemed to really slow down the fishing. We found that there was usually a good bite very early, and as the day wore on, the fish went deeper and further from shore. I guess those things are generally true but all the more so when the temperature rises.

Hi all -

Seaward of the Surfline ( 1 mile line) effective Aug 1 you can take over 80cm. Which is where’d I spend all my time personally.

Seaward of the Surfline ( 1 mile line) effective Aug 1 you can take over 80cm. Which is where’d I spend all my time personally.
I got a 77 cm Chinook jigging while anchored for halibut about 10 miles out from Esperanza on Wed. Up about 25 feet from bottom in 215 fow. It just happened to be our 12th spring (3 guys) so I didn't jig much after that. Also too many Yellow eyes.

I think there are piles of salmon out there deep.
We got all the rest on the shoreline near Sandstone early am was best, using only anchovy - Gray's harbor brand from River Sportsman 10/pack and some RD from the Bible camp fuel dock 12/pack. Last year's perhaps.
Lots of blue sharks chasing Hali baits down too. It was a mistake to dress fish out there maybe.

I got a 77 cm Chinook jigging while anchored for halibut about 10 miles out from Esperanza on Wed. Up about 25 feet from bottom in 215 fow. It just happened to be our 12th spring (3 guys) so I didn't jig much after that. Also too many Yellow eyes.

I think there are piles of salmon out there deep.
We got all the rest on the shoreline near Sandstone early am was best, using only anchovy - Gray's harbor brand from River Sportsman 10/pack and some RD from the Bible camp fuel dock 12/pack. Last year's perhaps.
Lots of blue sharks chasing Hali baits down too. It was a mistake to dress fish out there maybe.
We’re you on the “Highway”? That’s where some nice fish are taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back