2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a report but my fishing partner and I arent able to make our stay at critter this summer so im looking to sell the trip.
Its in one of the small cabins. Checkin is July 28 and checkout is Aug 1st. Check out their site for details on the accomodations. Text me if interested. Just looking to get back what we paid. 250-203-3894
Wes

Not a report but my fishing partner and I arent able to make our stay at critter this summer so im looking to sell the trip.
Its in one of the small cabins. Checkin is July 28 and checkout is Aug 1st. Check out their site for details on the accomodations. Text me if interested. Just looking to get back what we paid. 250-203-3894
Wes
Have you asked Critter if they can move your reservation to next year? We're heading up there this week, and have always found Cameron to be fairly reasonable.

After a few days of slow fishing after the storm that blew in from the south, it has picked up again. Lots of chinook around all the way from Sandstone down to Pin Rocks. Coho scattered in there too. Coho killers, 3" spoons and hootchies have all been effective. Bottom fishing has picked up as well. More halibut around after a bit of a sparse spring for them. We have some Bring your own boat availability (and a couple of guided slots) from July 21st to August 7 due to some cancellations for Covid and other reasons.

July 4 Hughart.jpg

After a few days of slow fishing after the storm that blew in from the south, it has picked up again. Lots of chinook around all the way from Sandstone down to Pin Rocks. Coho scattered in there too. Coho killers, 3" spoons and hootchies have all been effective. Bottom fishing has picked up as well. More halibut around after a bit of a sparse spring for them. We have some Bring your own boat availability (and a couple of guided slots) from July 21st to August 7 due to some cancellations for Covid and other reasons.

View attachment 81884
How long does it take to shoot upto Esperanza from critter cove if one wanted to fish there for a day?

How long does it take to shoot upto Esperanza from critter cove if one wanted to fish there for a day?
45 minutes to an hour depending on which spot nearshore you want to fish. You could map it out in navionics webapp for distance and then factor in speed to get ETA to your desired fishing spot.

45 minutes to an hour depending on which spot nearshore you want to fish. You could map it out in navionics webapp for distance and then factor in speed to get ETA to your desired fishing spot.
Perfect thanks. I have fished Nootka for a couple of years now but have yet to try for bottom fish. Previous boat was too small to venture to far. From what I've read on here I think the bottom fishing is better off Esperanza?

Perfect thanks. I have fished Nootka for a couple of years now but have yet to try for bottom fish. Previous boat was too small to venture to far. From what I've read on here I think the bottom fishing is better off Esperanza?
It is but if you are targeting bottom fish in esperaza it is a long way from nootka-salmon is do-able late july aug

Bajo has always been my go to for lings. When it closes on the 15th where in Esperanza is a good area to find them. Not asking for a secret spot. Just a general area.

Well just finished a whirl wind tour of Esperanza and Nootka Sound, just some comments after reading some of the recent posts.

Fished Esperanza from June 23 to the 26th. Stayed at Port Eliza and totally agree with everyone regarding the hospitality of Robert and crew at his operations. It takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get from Critter to Port Eliza, this was with totally flat water and running at about 25 mph.
I did the BYOB route and the accommodations and food was great. The first fishing grounds are about 10 minutes from the dock (inner Black) and I fished this mostly as the coho and chinook fishing was good and it was quiet (only a few boats would come and go). The early morning bite was really good, with Skinny G's working fine for me (No bananas and Cop Car). I also used bait (cut plug), however, I was fishing alone so when the bite was on I couldn't keep both rods fishing so I switched back to artificial (first world problem). Once the morning bite subsided I moved outside the bay and trolled towards the outer rocks. I never made it that far as there was always something willing to keep me busy. Some of the other boats were doing good at Tatchu and Grassy, Pin Rocks had some good slots but Ferrier didn't seem to be producing while I was there. I would agree that one can get addicted to this area as it is more technical than the outside fishing accessed from Critter. Will be definitely going back and check out the other traditional area as it is an amazing place. Thanks again Robert for all your assistance with getting me familiar with the area.

After Esperanza I headed to Critter for the Shakedown. Fished the Shakedown from the 27th to the 30th. Most of my success was at Birdwood, right against the wall and outer Wash Rock. The boys did well on coho but never did catch any chinook over about 15lbs but the fishing was always entertaining and the accommodations and hospitality at Critter were awesome. Skinny G,s and spackle back hootchies (green, white and silver insert) worked fine.

After the Shakedown I was honored to participate in the Kid's Heart Fund Weekend @ Critter. I will post more about that later. If you folks have any questions that I may be able to answer: "have atter".

Cheers,
Itchy

It’s been closed for last few years after the 15th. Assume it will be this year. Area that comes out from Beno then all the way to Ferrer.

Attachments

• 8229F050-B030-4E33-862E-DB54ED70A864.jpeg
    8229F050-B030-4E33-862E-DB54ED70A864.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 125
It’s been closed for last few years after the 15th. Assume it will be this year. Area that comes out from Beno then all the way to Ferrer.
It’s been proven thru dna testing that the majority of the Clayoquot sound wild chinooks migrate thru there.

So been up 5 days now. Fishing is probably the best I’ve seen it in the last 5 years at Nootka. Lots of fish from the Monument to Wash and just beyond. Our biggest is 19. Lots in the 10 lb range tho and lots of Coho in the 5 lb range. Water has been really calm. We’ve been off shore 3 days. Flat calm. Water has been really clean too. Beano has some Eel grass but that was manageable. I’ll post more details Saturday when I’m home. But 45 feet chovy and Tomic watermelon worked for us. Here’s a shot looking towards Beano this morning from Wash.

Attachments

• 265154A8-B187-426C-AC1A-483F5F2AE63A.jpeg
    265154A8-B187-426C-AC1A-483F5F2AE63A.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back