Status
Not open for further replies.
5E5B3051-1B82-4CAC-B9A7-A312A7BBD2FC.jpeg47BD4442-74D4-4C8D-B787-7376E98DB0F6.jpeg
Got out for an evening fish yesterday. Lost another good fish. Then nothing.

The pain is real on my boat. Last two times skunked and fish lost.

Fished around Clark Rock and the channel. Plus down to Neck Point and Fingers. Lots of bait around. Lots of schools and bait shallow. Like 40’-60’. Tried running a spoon shallow but nothing.

Always can hope that the next time you will get fish.

Last edited:

Fished around Clark Rock and the channel. Plus down to Neck Point and Fingers. Lots of bait around. Lots of schools and bait shallow. Like 40’-60’. Tried running a spoon shallow but nothing.

I was out for a couple hours this afternoon. Mixed up sea state big wind and current, seemed fishy but no love again today. Tried trolling plugs fast and shallow on the structure, jigging and spoons at 120-170 and didn't get a sniff.

I was out for a couple hours this afternoon. Mixed up sea state big wind and current, seemed fishy but no love again today. Tried trolling plugs fast and shallow on the structure, jigging and spoons at 120-170 and didn't get a sniff.
Hmm debating Nanaimo or French creek on Sunday

View attachment 84196View attachment 84197

Hang in there. The Chinooks seem to go on and off the bite a lot more than earlier in the season.

Yesterday was definitely a highlight of the season for me. Teamed up with another outfit to get 2 boats for the group. Had a corporate group of 8 from Alberta doing a golf/fishing trip. 6 out of the 8 had never fished on the salt before so I don’t think they knew what was in store, especially since it was blowing a good 18kn early in the morning. Was out on the water by 7:30 and limited out with 4 plus one for myself by 9:30. The bait was so thick right off the bottom, so went down deep 195-210 right off the get go and it was on. Hootchies and spoons both did there fair share of damage. Also had an awesome humpback show as well. We packed up and went to calmer waters for bottom fish but the tide wasn’t in our favor so just a couple throw back rock fish, dogfish and small salmon for the rest of the day. It took the other charter a bit longer but they came through with 4 nice ones as well plus one for the cap. A few guys on the other boat saw their previously enjoyed food enter the ocean a few times. Luckily for us we were in calmer waters before that chum fest began. The fish are just moving right through now a days, no more holding so everyday is completely different. But for a late august day In Nanaimo, this will be a hard one to beat. 11EF79AE-3C64-469B-9AAE-9849FA03CE3A.jpegBEFCF8DE-838E-4249-889E-23E72D8BF3D4.jpeg

Yesterday was definitely a highlight of the season for me. Teamed up with another outfit to get 2 boats for the group. Had a corporate group of 8 from Alberta doing a golf/fishing trip. 6 out of the 8 had never fished on the salt before so I don’t think they knew what was in store, especially since it was blowing a good 18kn early in the morning. Was out on the water by 7:30 and limited out with 4 plus one for myself by 9:30. The bait was so thick right off the bottom, so went down deep 195-210 right off the get go and it was on. Hootchies and spoons both did there fair share of damage. Also had an awesome humpback show as well. We packed up and went to calmer waters for bottom fish but the tide wasn’t in our favor so just a couple throw back rock fish, dogfish and small salmon for the rest of the day. It took the other charter a bit longer but they came through with 4 nice ones as well plus one for the cap. A few guys on the other boat saw their previously enjoyed food enter the ocean a few times. Luckily for us we were in calmer waters before that chum fest began. The fish are just moving right through now a days, no more holding so everyday is completely different. But for a late august day In Nanaimo, this will be a hard one to beat. View attachment 84235View attachment 84236
Well done, Champ!

Yesterday was definitely a highlight of the season for me. Teamed up with another outfit to get 2 boats for the group. Had a corporate group of 8 from Alberta doing a golf/fishing trip. 6 out of the 8 had never fished on the salt before so I don’t think they knew what was in store, especially since it was blowing a good 18kn early in the morning. Was out on the water by 7:30 and limited out with 4 plus one for myself by 9:30. The bait was so thick right off the bottom, so went down deep 195-210 right off the get go and it was on. Hootchies and spoons both did there fair share of damage. Also had an awesome humpback show as well. We packed up and went to calmer waters for bottom fish but the tide wasn’t in our favor so just a couple throw back rock fish, dogfish and small salmon for the rest of the day. It took the other charter a bit longer but they came through with 4 nice ones as well plus one for the cap. A few guys on the other boat saw their previously enjoyed food enter the ocean a few times. Luckily for us we were in calmer waters before that chum fest began. The fish are just moving right through now a days, no more holding so everyday is completely different. But for a late august day In Nanaimo, this will be a hard one to beat. View attachment 84235View attachment 84236
Nice one guys!!

Got a couple nice ones this morning by the fingers after we switched up from the spoons that were only catching shakers. White hoochies were the ticket. 77 and 78 cm. Thanks to the big blue grady for setting his prawn traps at 7:30 am right on the tack we were working all morning...20220828_105211.jpg

Got a couple nice ones this morning by the fingers after we switched up from the spoons that were only catching shakers. White hoochies were the ticket. 77 and 78 cm. Thanks to the big blue grady for setting his prawn traps at 7:30 am right on the tack we were working all morning...View attachment 84266
Nicely done. Must be the weekend lol

Had a great day at the grande today, started at 9 am, hooked a really nice fish about an hour in, probably my biggest ever, was solo and I couldn’t net it well, but had it right beside the boat and it must have been 30 pounds at least. That fish was caught on a trailhead skinny g and a green Gibbs flasher. Again solo so no pics of that beauty but a little later on I got a nice mid seventies cm, that put up a great fight and will taste great tonight. That fish I will credit to @ExFlyGuy after seeing his post I switched one side to a white hootch. Probably another dozen unders throughout the day. All in all a great outing.

Attachments

• CE86C99C-3EAE-4DEA-8681-D77215974E13.jpeg
    CE86C99C-3EAE-4DEA-8681-D77215974E13.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 31241A78-84B8-437A-A9D9-A72498EBBBEB.jpeg
    31241A78-84B8-437A-A9D9-A72498EBBBEB.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 93
Went out for a couple hours with my dad and kids. Started out flat calm then the wind picked up as predicted. Met @Unreel at the dock and gave me his expert guide tips. Lots of under springs. Managed a keeper coho and pink, lost a couple nice ones at the boat. Was a fun morning on the water.20220828_084544.jpg

Last edited:
Got a couple nice ones this morning by the fingers after we switched up from the spoons that were only catching shakers. White hoochies were the ticket. 77 and 78 cm. Thanks to the big blue grady for setting his prawn traps at 7:30 am right on the tack we were working all morning...View attachment 84266
Yeah what a dick!

Saw your pal in the blue Grady pulling their set as we are trolling thru this afternoon. Nice rig, and yes, 3 traps set right down Main Street off the rocks.

Did a quick 2 hour late afternoon session with the kids. Was more sporty than I anticipated for a 10 knot wind. Kids weren't loving it. Has a good hit that was missed, threw back a dinker, and that was it for us. Saw a couple caught and some action at the table.

Definitely more of a scratchy morning. Got out late after 8 and was pretty slow right off the bat. Don’t think we had a sniff for almost an hour, only saw a few boats reeling in small shakers. Marked tons of fish On the first deep contour of the trough that I’m guessing were pinks as they were 50-100’ down. Started getting into a bite around 930ish that lasted till about 1030-11. Picked up 2 keepers, 68 and 72 and released a bunch of unders. All down 185-210 in 180-200’, spoon and hootch. Still a nice morning with lots of boats out. Nice to meet another member @MikePA at the launch, sorry I was in a rush stuffing my traps before clients arrived lol. As for the blue Grady, I’ve never seen that boat out before, probably from somewhere else, so most likely they had no clue the usual spots people fish. Still a pain understandably.

Definitely more of a scratchy morning. Got out late after 8 and was pretty slow right off the bat. Don’t think we had a sniff for almost an hour, only saw a few boats reeling in small shakers. Marked tons of fish On the first deep contour of the trough that I’m guessing were pinks as they were 50-100’ down. Started getting into a bite around 930ish that lasted till about 1030-11. Picked up 2 keepers, 68 and 72 and released a bunch of unders. All down 185-210 in 180-200’, spoon and hootch. Still a nice morning with lots of boats out. Nice to meet another member @MikePA at the launch, sorry I was in a rush stuffing my traps before clients arrived lol. As for the blue Grady, I’ve never seen that boat out before, probably from somewhere else, so most likely they had no clue the usual spots people fish. Still a pain understandably.
"Blue Grady" here. This is my first season of salt water fishing. Sorry guys, indeed no clue about the area, and thought it was ok (btw noticed a few more traps in the same area later in the day). Also got the downrigger line tangled in someone else's trap too (my bad, I guess). Lesson learned.
Kept 63cm Spring, a nice size Coho, a Pink, and a couple of Rockfish. Released a few smaller springs and a dogfish.
Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back