2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a couple of days in the broken group. Tried offshore for halibut, no luck. Swells were sort of big. Fished for salmon from Cree to swale. Got a nice one for dinner and lots of shakers on a white hootchy. Tried a green and glow coyote at swale and hit a 15er or so. Really hit the spoon hard. Landed one and lost another, then the bite went off.

I’m not catching much fish here at Amohitrite, I did hook this halibut rig, still in pretty good shape.

Keep fishing!
When you find a Daiwa rod w a blue Avet HX and blue line
.that WAS mine... Sigh
(stoopid plastic rod holder)

Ditto...and when you hook onto an Ugly stick with a 330penn on it I know the guy who lost that, (buddies set-up fishing off my boat doh)
Edit added a pic of setup he lost

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Back from a week fishing Bamfield (Aug 23 - 30). It was our second time there so still learning the best spots. Fishing was great for us, except for 1 really slow day in the middle of the trip (we just went to the wrong spots that day)

Limit of springs and coho, since we had so many days there we released some decent springs early so we could keep fishing. Largest Springs were 27.5 lbs (spoon and personal best for me) and 23 lbs (bait and personal best for my wife) from Swale. Picked up some of our other springs on the Wall and Robbers but Swale was our top spot. Early in the trip spoons (coho killer) were the ticket and our last few fish were all on chovies. No love for us at Whittlestone despite multiple attempts. Coho up to 11 lbs were caught on spoons and bait at Pill and Diplock mainly.

Excellent trip, and the weather cooperated most of the week. Wasn’t expecting to be able to go for a swim off the boat mid day so late in the season on the West Coast!

Booking in for next year right away! Should be a better than normal derby weekend as there were reports of more fish coming in the day we were leaving.

Ditto...and when you hook onto an Ugly stick with a 330penn on it I know the guy who lost that, (buddies set-up fishing off my boat doh)
Edit added a pic of setup he lost
The rod isn’t worth much but the reel is a Penn 330 GT and seems to be in perfect shape.

Apparently there are halibut there? None for me, just a shark, a halibut rig, and an octopus.

Attachments

• F845B6C8-EE3C-4C00-8C55-4D7754FB082E.jpeg
    F845B6C8-EE3C-4C00-8C55-4D7754FB082E.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 115
Caught the 10o clock boat and made it to bamfield by 3. Roads were good. Went to the wall tonight to dial the boat in. Hit 4 fish over 2 hours but nothing over 10lbs. Any sfbc members
Who plan on anchoring or camping in the sound for the derby or what not i have dock space in grappler you can tie up to. Up solo till Sunday and I like to bs about fishing. Send a pm
Mo

Caught the 10o clock boat and made it to bamfield by 3. Roads were good. Went to the wall tonight to dial the boat in. Hit 4 fish over 2 hours but nothing over 10lbs. Any sfbc members
Who plan on anchoring or camping in the sound for the derby or what not i have dock space in grappler you can tie up to. Up solo till Sunday and I like to bs about fishing. Send a pm
Mo
Ah man wish I was there

Went out to big bank today. Caught our Hali 3 overs and 3 unders. 1 ling
Couldn’t find any salmon that were keeps out there. Perfect water conditions, flat calm.
Way to go John! Currently at Swale catching nothing.

Heading to Bamfield for the tuna derby and it looks like the wind might keep us in the inlet for several days fishing salmon. Any fishing reports?

Heading to Bamfield for the tuna derby and it looks like the wind might keep us in the inlet for several days fishing salmon. Any fishing reports?
We were at the nook for the long weekend We had no luck on catching salmon ended up with 4 coho , released a bunch of small springs. Tried every where from assists ,pill ,swale effingham too Beale down to the nook. Even off shore sucked for salmon. But that’s fishing .

Fished my last crew of the season during the Labour Day weekend. It was still decent fishing. Was into 8 springs on Saturday and again on Sunday. Fished a half day on Monday, landed 5 and took home three. Was fishing chovies at Robbers Pass mostly, 30 feet on the downrigger. Saturday had a good mid morning bite at Dixon just past the wall. The far west side of Kirby was good Saturday afternoon. A half dozen coho thrown into the mix. Was very much worthwhile. I saw a few fish caught on glow white hootchies as well.

,this guy kills fish , Hopefully... my good friend Robert , best neighbor ever , doesnt mind me posting this , easy pickins for him yesterday , all close ta home , still a few good clean fish around for sure , last year i had one of my best trips Sept 27 , non stop action at Flemming for big springs... Enjoy ... gd luck to the Tuna fleet , time for the Bamfield Tuna Shootout , few tickets left im hearing , contact Jerry at Mills Landing. Plenty of fish this year , nice and close too....see ya all there...

Robert.jpg

Keeping an eye on the offshore conditions via buoyweather and vessel finder. Looks like tuna water out around 53 miles. Sept 10th look ok but the 11th and 12th are an issue. 13th to 17th also look ok at this point....west coast don't like the weather wait 5min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back