2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just got back from Bamfield staying at McKay Lodge in the Creekside Cabin from August 3 to August 7 with my family. This is my 4th year fishing Bamfield and still love it but first for my family to come up since both boys are 6 and 8 and they also loved it and didn’t want to come home. The staff and guest were so good to them throughout our stay.

So, as for fishing goes me and my dad were usually on the water by 6am and always found at morning bite somewhere….Fleming, Sanford, Robbers or last day the Wall and usually picking up a few fish each morning and had a harder time finding the bigger springs but did pick up a 26 pound spring on an afternoon fish with the kids at Robbers. I usually picked up the wife and kid around 9am each morning and went out for another fish as the kids were eager to catch a salmon which they were able to catch some coho and also a few springs each. Also did a few night bites with the kids and picked up a fish or two at the wall the few nights we went out.

I knew this trip wasn’t all about fishing so we did end up walking the boardwalk one afternoon for ice cream, kayaking and also went to Brady’s beach which was a beautiful beach and a great way to break up the day.

On a side note one morning when fishing Fleming with the family on the second day and the fog just rolled in and myself thinking this isn’t great as it’s going to start getting cold and could be a bit scary not seeing land for them. I just dropped the gear and was trolling for maybe 5 mins and out of my starboard side I had a whale come out of the water and brushing against my boat!! Now this is the first that it’s ever happened to me, but we all had a good story to tell and had a bit of a laugh shortly after.

So, all in all great trip. Fishing was definitely harder this year to find the big ones. The spoon of choice was the Herring aid coho killer which was lights out also a glow hootchie was great the first few days. I’m back up again for another 4 nights from August 28 to September 1 so hopefully some bigger fish will be in.
Is it just me or have the reports become awesome as of late?

Ya all the reports were a bit down for a bit there, was sounding slow all over but some better reports now. I’m going to try and hit the sound Thursday morning for a few days. Keep the reports rolling on in

Ya all the reports were a bit down for a bit there, was sounding slow all over but some better reports now. I’m going to try and hit the sound Thursday morning for a few days. Keep the reports rolling on in
I'll be there Friday afternoon for 4 nights, looking forward to it since last year

Offshore for Hali again today, 7 miles out, foggy and calm, on the anchor with no action so far. How long do you guys give it before picking up and moving spots? We have 4 on the boat and we vary in opinion from 1 hr to 3 hrs.
Stick and stay make it pay.

Hi, what’s the new eatery in town called, wondering what the hours are and if kids are welcome. Is it something that could be reliable for dinners, as in no need to pack food in for the trip. May be nice to get in for an early dinner and then out for an evening troll as opposed to our regular troll til dark then try to cook food late in the dark

Hi, what’s the new eatery in town called, wondering what the hours are and if kids are welcome. Is it something that could be reliable for dinners, as in no need to pack food in for the trip. May be nice to get in for an early dinner and then out for an evening troll as opposed to our regular troll til dark then try to cook food late in the dark
I was gonna head there for dinner and a beer or two tonight. Closed. Sign says Thursday to Sunday. Can't recall the hours of operation.

The bamfield wreckage. Lived they're this weekend. Great burger, fish tacos, and a few other items quality food fine for kids.
Thursday to sunday 3-9pm
You can also grab a pizza at the bam mercantile and marine. Nice trolling the wall with a fresh burger and fries or a pizza.

Is it worth hauling crab and prawn traps to Bamfield or just concentrate on fishing?
We tried for crab last year without much luck

The bamfield wreckage. Lived they're this weekend. Great burger, fish tacos, and a few other items quality food fine for kids.
Thursday to sunday 3-9pm
You can also grab a pizza at the bam mercantile and marine. Nice trolling the wall with a fresh burger and fries or a pizza.
Nice, thanks for the info, looks like it’s down the boardwalk a bit from the store and inn, what the best option to dock up while eating, do they have dock space?

Nice, thanks for the info, looks like it’s down the boardwalk a bit from the store and inn, what the best option to dock up while eating, do they have dock space?
walk or there is usually space in front.. if yer boats small enough there are spots on the back of the dock. limited dock space..

walk or there is usually space in front.. if yer boats small enough there are spots on the back of the dock. limited dock space..
Very limited dock space actually. Poor Marcella, the girl that runs the lodge, is constantly running down to shift boats because people from the Wreckage end up taking lodge customers spots. Happened to me every time I came in. They're still working out the kinks. I'd just take the water taxi or dingy if you can.

Very limited dock space actually. Poor Marcella, the girl that runs the lodge, is constantly running down to shift boats because people from the Wreckage end up taking lodge customers spots. Happened to me every time I came in. They're still working out the kinks. I'd just take the water taxi or dingy if you can.
making room for the big beluga. lol

So last weekend I got married. Included in my vows was. " I promise to always put you first even during fishing season" to ad a little humour.
Thursday i took off to bamfield solo for 4 nights. So have I already Blown them?
Fishing report
I'm pretty consistent where I fish up there and in the 30 days I've put in up there I consistently find steady fish at Sanford ohuat Kirby area but this trip the area seemed pretty void of fish and bait except the odd coho. Friday night headed to whittlestone and managed to find a couple decent springs and good sized coho. Saturday morning as I pulled out of grappler you could see bait boiling along the wall so I dropped in and had steady fish. Mostly coho but a few springs in the mix. Don't know if fish were hitting soft but had some good powerful hits that didn't stick. After a burger and margaritas at the wreckage I took out a guy and girl i met there for an evening fish. they were mapping out Barkley sound for contours and pinnacles for the gov. Took them to whittlestone and we got 2 nice springs. 14&18 so they had fish to feed the folks at bmsc. Next morning nothing but coho at the wall so went back to whittlestone. Lost a decent 1 and released a 8lb spring but no solid action.
I will say it looked extremely fishy on the sounder and was expecting a solid bite to break out but just didn't happen. Back up on the 15th with the wife's side of the family and fishing the derby with some buds 20 - 21st. .
80% of fish on white ogl55 hootchy. A few on green white hootchie. Skinny gs hit non stop dinkers so I give up on them quick. Coho killers or wee g's should do well. As all bait in stomachs was small. Had 1 spring that had 30 needle fish in its gut. Capt mo

Attachments

• 20220809_104458.jpg
    20220809_104458.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 20220809_104429.jpg
    20220809_104429.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 221
So last weekend I got married. Included in my vows was. " I promise to always put you first even during fishing season" to ad a little humour.
Thursday i took off to bamfield solo for 4 nights. So have I already Blown them?
Fishing report
I'm pretty consistent where I fish up there and in the 30 days I've put in up there I consistently find steady fish at Sanford ohuat Kirby area but this trip the area seemed pretty void of fish and bait except the odd coho. Friday night headed to whittlestone and managed to find a couple decent springs and good sized coho. Saturday morning as I pulled out of grappler you could see bait boiling along the wall so I dropped in and had steady fish. Mostly coho but a few springs in the mix. Don't know if fish were hitting soft but had some good powerful hits that didn't stick. After a burger and margaritas at the wreckage I took out a guy and girl i met there for an evening fish. they were mapping out Barkley sound for contours and pinnacles for the gov. Took them to whittlestone and we got 2 nice springs. 14&18 so they had fish to feed the folks at bmsc. Next morning nothing but coho at the wall so went back to whittlestone. Lost a decent 1 and released a 8lb spring but no solid action.
I will say it looked extremely fishy on the sounder and was expecting a solid bite to break out but just didn't happen. Back up on the 15th with the wife's side of the family and fishing the derby with some buds 20 - 21st. .
80% of fish on white ogl55 hootchy. A few on green white hootchie. Skinny gs hit non stop dinkers so I give up on them quick. Coho killers or wee g's should do well. As all bait in stomachs was small. Had 1 spring that had 30 needle fish in its gut. Capt mo
4 days solo fishing after you got married ?!?!?
I’m sooooo jealous, congrats

Walk or water taxi from where? My boats 24 feet. Sounds like a bit of an issue to get there if your not moored up in town.

Walk or water taxi from where? My boats 24 feet. Sounds like a bit of an issue to get there if your not moored up in town.
You might have to just call ahead. I let several people raft up to me when I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back