2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is a " Forecast or Outlook " for Salmon returns 2022 season Barkley sound ? even the lodges are being tight lipped this year , whats up ?

Its been forast in the same range as last year.. it takes time for the Dept. to get all the numbers together... I think we will see a better Late may june fishery as the Columbia early runs is bigger and I believe we are in 3 or 4 years of chinook release for the SRKW in Puget sound.. just my thoughts

Hey Derby , so your saying the DFO will shut everything down like area 29 . You know they'd rather sit on their asses than have to check boats out there :)

Current forecast for Robertson (Barkley Sound) Chinook is very similar to last year. Looks to be shaping up to roughly 120K returning to terminal fisheries. That data will be updated further as more of the stock composition dna is resolved for the Alaskan spring troll fishery. Their modelling has actually been fairly consistently accurate within a range of certainty. I wouldn't panic, if anything you can take some comfort from how other Chinook runs down south of us are forecast to return - all good indications for improved and stable returns. Also good numbers and quality (size) of mostly hatchery fish in Barkley Sound now. Those will be largely Puget Sound origin fish that stick around until June, but we should also see a bunch of Sacramento and spring run Columbia fish cruising down the coast and poking into the Sound from time to time.

Thank you for the reply Sea Run , appreciate that , i guess any info on Coho returns will be out super late again ? .

Which choice would be better in terms of travelling to Bamfield from Alberni? Trailer the boat to Bamfield? Or boat from Alberni and tow the empty trailer up to Bamfield? I need to get the truck to Bamfield either way. I'm pulling a 20 foot boat and going in August. Thoughts? Thanks, I've heard the road is terrible so it's a bit of a dilemma.

Tough call, I would not like to do either. Not sure what damage that road will do to an empty trailer. At least with the boat on it it may bounce a bit less when driving "SLOWLY"

Which choice would be better in terms of travelling to Bamfield from Alberni? Trailer the boat to Bamfield? Or boat from Alberni and tow the empty trailer up to Bamfield? I need to get the truck to Bamfield either way. I'm pulling a 20 foot boat and going in August. Thoughts? Thanks, I've heard the road is terrible so it's a bit of a dilemma.
I’d find a place to store the trailer in Albernie. I multiple parts off my truck due to my buddy driving it back. It could wreck a trailer even empty. F…. ing Clydesdales. I look big guys who love to charge but it is hard on my gear.

I go every year. Have driven with the vehicle but never trailered in. There is no easy or guaranteed way to trailer in there. For myself, I would not risk the damage to the boat, even if you drive slowly. Also, the weight of the boat on the trailer makes it pretty unhappy for the trailer to go in loaded.
I would recommend leaving the trailer at China Creek and running the boat/ truck separately. When in August are you going?

I go every year. Have driven with the vehicle but never trailered in. There is no easy or guaranteed way to trailer in there. For myself, I would not risk the damage to the boat, even if you drive slowly. Also, the weight of the boat on the trailer makes it pretty unhappy for the trailer to go in loaded.
I would recommend leaving the trailer at China Creek and running the boat/ truck separately. When in August are you going?
I'm heading to Bamfield from Alberni on August 8th. China Creek won't work. I called.

Last edited:
It's for guests only. You can't launch and run up to Bamfield for a weekend anymore.

So lame. Good luck doing a weekend trip and finding parking in Port. Clutusi is already jammed as it is. So now all that traffic is going to come to Port. What dumb decision.

I just towed my travel trailer in last Thursday. I do it in the evening so I don’t have to deal with traffic. 3 hrs to go from the asphalt to Poett nook. Roads not in the best of shape. Run your boat up the inlet and run the trailer in empty. And drive slow. Have fun !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back