Looked like lots of boats out anyone got any intell . Planning to get out Sunday debating Hali or salmon but likely get skunked on both :-(
I went for salmon today. Got a couple of smallish keepers over by Albert Head. Lost or released a few more. Beautiful day out there. Lots of undersized crabs, no keepers. Seems to be all I get lately.

Went out today for halibut. About to drop anchor and realized I forgot the hooks, spreader bars, etc in my garage. So off to troll for salmon we went. Out at Constance fishing along the anchored freighters. Lost one, one small released, and one 8lb hatch keeper. Nice day and quite a few boats out doing the same. All caught on skinny g, 30 ft off the bottom. Saw a few other boats getting some salmon and one boat looked like it picked up a 10lb+. Good luck tomorrow.

Went out today for halibut. About to drop anchor and realized I forgot the hooks, spreader bars, etc in my garage. So off to troll for salmon we went. Out at Constance fishing along the anchored freighters. Lost one, one small released, and one 8lb hatch keeper. Nice day and quite a few boats out doing the same. All caught on skinny g, 30 ft off the bottom. Saw a few other boats getting some salmon and one boat looked like it picked up a 10lb+. Good luck tomorrow.
In the long ago past when the freighters didn’t park there and I didn’t have a depth sounder I would triangulate if I remember the grain elevator and little saanich mountain with the discovery light house and ten mile point??? I must be older than dirt

In the long ago past when the freighters didn’t park there and I didn’t have a depth sounder I would triangulate if I remember the grain elevator and little saanich mountain with the discovery light house and ten mile point??? I must be older than dirt
30 Years ago + we use to fish for halibut a lot closer in, in less than 80' of water, just on the inside of what we now call the flats.
Roughly quoted from the old "Outdoors with Alec Merriman" :"To find the OB halibut grounds, line the St. Charles water tower wit the golf links, and the end of the Great Chain Island with Ten Mile Pt."
There is still the occasional fish caught there. I got a big one near there last year.

It was common to catch Halibut while trolling for Salmon on the Flats
as little as 10 years ago.
80-100' on spoons and hootchies.
Not so many around these days. :(

Just out bumping around in OB and around Discovery today, dropping for greenling or cabazon where we could. A LOT bumpier water than predicted, and some truly substantial waves in Bayne's channel. Released a couple of under-sized (and out of season) lings, but took home one nice cabazon and one nice greenling. Weirdest thing, though: DFO met us on the ramp at Cattle Point to check out our catch. All was good -- we know the rules and abide by 'em -- but I've never been checked by them before. I wish they'd show up more often, truth be told.

Hey ghostprof i was the guy in the small gray guy you were talking to after you pulled your boat out. You never know when dfo will show up but they are often at Cattle Point. We launch there most of the time and see them regularly. Your boy seems very enthusiastic about boating/fishing. How do you cook the cabazon?

Hey ghostprof i was the guy in the small gray guy you were talking to after you pulled your boat out. You never know when dfo will show up but they are often at Cattle Point. We launch there most of the time and see them regularly. Your boy seems very enthusiastic about boating/fishing. How do you cook the cabazon?
I got a cabazon about 10-12 lbs jigging off some kelp beds near cattle point. Scary big bullhead. About half its weight was head. It was nice firm meat like lingcod. Very good fish and chips.

Thanks for the info guys. Almost went to Constance but fished Whirl Bay today. Had steady but slow action and a great day in the sun. Fish were really colourful and good scrapers. Fish ,Waves,Birds,Seals, oh and how about a Black Bear staring us down. Magic!

Attachments

• 56EA559C-D875-4CFF-8924-2FEDF4342EAD.jpeg
    56EA559C-D875-4CFF-8924-2FEDF4342EAD.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 142
Ah cool! Good to see you -- the DFO came up behind me when I was talking to you which is why I was a bit surprised by them. I've seen the creel survey guy there a few times, but that was my first encounter with DFO (though I did see them handing out a book of tickets to some guys last summer, now that I think of it). We boned and skinned the cab and then beer batter and fish tacos. Good eating. I love catching them because they fight like hell, but hate handling them because they are slimy as can be. So gross. But get rid of the skin and you're looking at nice fish.

Looked like lots of boats out anyone got any intell . Planning to get out Sunday debating Hali or salmon but likely get skunked on both :-(
Robb any luck?

We always throw the cabezons back. years ago my Chinese neighbors gave us some fish cakes made from a huge cabezon I gave them, worst this I ever ate. since then we figured they were garbage fish, will have to try them battered as we catch them often and they are up tp 10lbs easy. Quite often the Oak Bay police are at the ramp doing inspections also.

Back