2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I'm at Mosquito Creek and really like it. Security is excellent and everything I need ( Martin Marine, Highwater Tackle, Rona, Canadian Tire, etc.) is within a few miles. However lots here are trying to get into Burrard Civic mostly for the outstations, covered slips, and comradery.

If the reason for having a boat is to go fishing, Burrard Civic has got to be the most central location, from Sandheads to Howe Sound.

The drystack system at Milltown is a great option too, keeps the boat clean and growth-free.

Last edited:
mare lots of guys running snaps straight to lures? I feel like it’s kind of a clunky presentation , why not just have a leader board tied up ready to snap in at your flasher / bead chain .
Ditto

It's not without its flaws but it was a new lure, and the leader was handy, so off it went and the performance next to the boat seems ok. I like being able to quickly change junk and I dislike tying knots when the boat is bouncing. Far be it for me to set an gold standards around fishing techniques, however...
Why not go with a small snap swivel at the spoon end and a ball bearing swivel at the flasher end? Snap swivels are way easier on office hands.

Quick question, if you had a choice to use any marina on the mainland, what one would you choose?

My answer would be Thunderbird or Sewell's.
Hope to get into one of those in a few years once my name comes up on the list.
I’ve been on the waiting list for sewells for a while now hoping this next season will be the one ….
We go to gambier a lot and would be nice to be close to there and still a easy ride to fishing grounds

I’ve been on the waiting list for sewells for a while now hoping this next season will be the one ….
We go to gambier a lot and would be nice to be close to there and still a easy ride to fishing grounds
I could be into Sewells or something up the Sound. Only problem is the damn bridges. I avoid the North Shore at all costs. I'd rather have another 30 minutes of boating through the Harbour. I live in East Van though so it makes sense for me. More about where home is I say.

I could be into Sewells or something up the Sound. Only problem is the damn bridges. I avoid the North Shore at all costs. I'd rather have another 30 minutes of boating through the Harbour. I live in East Van though so it makes sense for me. More about where home is I say.
I live out in the valley closer to Abby/Chilliwack area so I should have included home location in my question.

I have had my boat at Reed Point and Mosquito Creek in the past and have found including the drive into the Marina and then the an additional 1 hour drive to the fishing ground not great. Unless of course fishing the cap from mosquito which is quick and easy.

Most of the time I am fishing bowen or QA areas so was hoping to drive more in the truck and less in the boat with fuel costs these days being what they are.

So based on that is why I am trying to get into something closer to Horseshoe Bay.

I am not sure where Burrard marina is so will look into that.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback so far.

I’m in Langley so driving to horshoe bay on a good day Isn’t so bad . Almost quicker then driving the boat around . My boat is 17ft and 90hp on the back so we’re not setting and speed records that’s for sure

I live out in the valley closer to Abby/Chilliwack area so I should have included home location in my question.

I have had my boat at Reed Point and Mosquito Creek in the past and have found including the drive into the Marina and then the an additional 1 hour drive to the fishing ground not great. Unless of course fishing the cap from mosquito which is quick and easy.

Most of the time I am fishing bowen or QA areas so was hoping to drive more in the truck and less in the boat with fuel costs these days being what they are.

So based on that is why I am trying to get into something closer to Horseshoe Bay.

I am not sure where Burrard marina is so will look into that.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback so far.
If that is the case, Thunderbird is an excellent option. I have kept my boat there for many years and it is an excellent facility, in all respects, in my opinion.

Thank you for your feedback.
We used to be @ Burrard Civic. I like the guys there and the commute (from E. Van) was easy, but the facility/docks aren't nearly as clean and well kept, and the overall service wasn't great, especially when Cássio was managing, not so much that Eric's been there. We're @ Thunderbird now, which we love! We spend most of our time fishing W. Van, Bowen, Howe Sound and exploring both S. Islands and Northern. Not many marinas are as central for what we do, once we leave our slip, we're in the Sound. Thunderbird also has a great boat lift, their scheduling and service has been top-notch, the scenery around the marina is gorgeous as well. I would HIGHLY recommend Thunderbird.....OH....and there's a new fantastic (so I hear) restaurant across the street.

Last edited:
That poor location has the kiss of death. I wish them well, many others have not been able to make a go of it.
Yea, hear ya......fingers crossed they last this time. Menu looks stellar though

I'm at Mosquito Creek and really like it. Security is excellent and everything I need ( Martin Marine, Highwater Tackle, Rona, Canadian Tire, etc.) is within a few miles. However lots here are trying to get into Burrard Civic mostly for the outstations, covered slips, and comradery.

I'm there as well, end of dock C which is still the one with sketchy floats but the location can't be beat. Parking is never an issue and the marina has a great vibe between us boaters and the live aboards.

I'm on the North Shore so I'm biased but I like being able to be in the straits 10 mins off the docks. Fuel at chevron only now but that's fine the fuel dock at mcm was sketch af.

Because of all the trees and logs going down the Fraser after the big storm I'm curious how the in-water lumber is in the Strait and English Bay.
??

Back