2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Today we started at RC. Lots of boats, we got a couple Chinook but fairly insignificant size. Approx mid 50s cm. Tons of weeds in the water. At 100 pm we moved over to grace. At grace we got a ton of action, got three decent fish. Two hatchery at Approx 65 and one big wild at about 75. The brighter flashers worked better and the big guy was caught on a splatter back green hoochie. The rest were caught on sand lance spoon. Great day.
Where you close in to shore at Grace or out in the 250 - 285ft depth?? I usually fish in the 150ft range with hit-and-miss success, but I have seen charters out in deep water.
Thanks

Where you close in to shore at Grace or out in the 250 - 285ft depth?? I usually fish in the 150ft range with hit-and-miss success, but I have seen charters out in deep water.
Thanks
At Grace we fished in about 150-200 range. Along the shore. And did some deeper loops on the turn. I fished around 80 feet

Full Sunday report: Had really rough time prawn fishing Howe sound Sunday: Commercial guys set right across our early morning set traps twice! 2 out of our of 4 sets kyboshed ( Purposely? Nah, nobody could be that evil?) Had bugger of a time getting them off us, weighed a ton, poor old Scotty puller was ground to a halt. Started to smell hot motor, wasn't good. Both of us hauling could barely move it, finally dragged it around with boat in all directions till our traps pulled free, had to do this twice! And all that and only a couple dozen prawn. Not worth the HUGE effort, so putting traps away till the commercial boys done. They win I guess. Reset traps at best "clear" spot to get traps off boat and then went and fished with the boys Brett83 etc. at RC for a while, couple shakers , TONS of fibrous seaweed, so gave up on that. So for fun pulled Grandpa Jack's old paper charts out ( remember those?) , found a non-RCA legal spot (have to check = some of his old spots are no longer legal) in area 29 he had drawn a fish on with words "ling cod" , right middle of freaking nowhere. Said 'WTH!" checked regs, allowed one ling cod each, and went for for a long run to try it out, late in the afternoon. And I will be darned! a 50 year old mark in the middle of nowhere on a paper chart wasn't lying!!!; On jumbo herring we caught in winter: We quickly hooked up with "bottom? " nope bottom doesn't PULL!l! And after a hard fight, thought my rod might break was bent so bad, yanked one massive one Ling cod each, ( double header, had to "hold" one, while dealt with other) , and exhausted called it a day, as it had FINALLY ended on a good note. We knuckle bumped, and burned it home, dead tired from our efforts, and darn happy we got our traps back. And double tired from hauling these 2 monsters in: Al said "We are going to need a bigger net " he wasn't lying, look at pic. Barely enough prawn for 2 shrimp cocktails, but at least got two nice +65 CM jumbo cod to feed for our families for our efforts. Fish and chips tonight I think and some Robax.

Attachments

• Lings (3).jpg
    Lings (3).jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 262
Full Sunday report: Had really rough time prawn fishing Howe sound Sunday: Commercial guys set right across our early morning set traps twice! 2 out of our of 4 sets kyboshed ( Purposely? Nah, nobody could be that evil?) Had bugger of a time getting them off us, weighed a ton, poor old Scotty puller was ground to a halt. Started to smell hot motor, wasn't good. Both of us hauling could barely move it, finally dragged it around with boat in all directions till our traps pulled free, had to do this twice! And all that and only a couple dozen prawn. Not worth the HUGE effort, so putting traps away till the commercial boys done. They win I guess. Reset traps at best "clear" spot to get traps off boat and then went and fished with the boys Brett83 etc. at RC for a while, couple shakers , TONS of fibrous seaweed, so gave up on that. So for fun pulled Grandpa Jack's old paper charts out ( remember those?) , found a non-RCA legal spot (have to check = some of his old spots are no longer legal) in area 29 he had drawn a fish on with words "ling cod" , right middle of freaking nowhere. Said 'WTH!" checked regs, allowed one ling cod each, and went for for a long run to try it out, late in the afternoon. And I will be darned! a 50 year old mark in the middle of nowhere on a paper chart wasn't lying!!!; On jumbo herring we caught in winter: We quickly hooked up with "bottom? " nope bottom doesn't PULL!l! And after a hard fight, thought my rod might break was bent so bad, yanked one massive one Ling cod each, ( double header, had to "hold" one, while dealt with other) , and exhausted called it a day, as it had FINALLY ended on a good note. We knuckle bumped, and burned it home, dead tired from our efforts, and darn happy we got our traps back. And double tired from hauling these 2 monsters in: Al said "We are going to need a bigger net " he wasn't lying, look at pic. Barely enough prawn for 2 shrimp cocktails, but at least got two nice +65 CM jumbo cod to feed for our families for our efforts. Fish and chips tonight I think and some Robax.
Nice work! Are there areas of 29 open for lings other than 29-5?

Nice work! Are there areas of 29 open for lings other than 29-5?
I too had an experience with the commercial guys but Saturday. Was rolling about 200 ft of the sunset marine barges when a boat comes at me no more than 20 ft away. Saw them pick up a line (never saw a float) and started hauling in traps for the next 1000 ft where there was a bouy. Sad they feel the need to drop all around the same area sporties drop. So be very careful around sunset or you might just lose your traps.

They have I believe 44 days to make their living they’re not going to be concerned about your gear. I stop prawning once they get going and let them have at it not worth the hassle.
Ok that's not totally a true statement but I do think it's worth keeping away from them. I don't bother. It would be nice to have some areas kept out of their reach to maintain the hotter rec areas. I'll get flamed for that but whatever. Wouldn't be hard to implement and would keep everyone happy.

Ok that's not totally a true statement but I do think it's worth keeping away from them. I don't bother. It would be nice to have some areas kept out of their reach to maintain the hotter rec areas. I'll get flamed for that but whatever. Wouldn't be hard to implement and would keep everyone happy.
No flaming necessary is what it is they won’t intentionally set on your gear but you have to realize they have a short day to check all their gear and re set etc and then race to the dock to sell their catch i have a few friends doing it and it’s a serious grind they are setting traps at 8knots sometimes.. barely time for a ****. we may not like it but I wouldn’t take it personally my thoughts give them the time we have the rest of the season.

No flaming necessary is what it is they won’t intentionally set on your gear but you have to realize they have a short day to check all their gear and re set etc and then race to the dock to sell their catch i have a few friends doing it and it’s a serious grind they are setting traps at 8knots sometimes.. barely time for a ****. we may not like it but I wouldn’t take it personally my thoughts give them the time we have the rest of the season.
What I figured , one of their buoys was 10 feet from on of mine, but would call it "casual indifference" and not malicious intent, I long-lined for Halibut when young, know how driven captains can be, all about the buck. Is what it is and don't mind putting traps away for month or so, thanks for explanation. My real concern is how the numbers have dropped last couple years, Wonder why? They getting to good at catching the males? Hope it is something seen and just a cycle. Because Even if it is only males they catch and are getting too good at it commercially; as the males become females in winter, ( yes they are hermaphrodites) = no males = no females = species decline, really-really hope this is not the case.

Took the day off work to head across the pond. After going through lots of undersized lings finally landed a 10-12 pound keeper - nothing too exciting but when i went to clean it saw something I've never seen before - the ling had recently eaten a fairly large squid. Has anyone else come across this in our local waters? Now I want to figure out how to catch these squid!!!! I tried a couple times in the harbour this winter for opal squid like they do in Puget Sound but no luck. I'm assuming this is an opal squid that was in the lings stomach?

Attachments

• May 31 Ling.jpg
    May 31 Ling.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 368
  • May 31 Squid.jpg
    May 31 Squid.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 334
Took the day off work to head across the pond. After going through lots of undersized lings finally landed a 10-12 pound keeper - nothing too exciting but when i went to clean it saw something I've never seen before - the ling had recently eaten a fairly large squid. Has anyone else come across this in our local waters? Now I want to figure out how to catch these squid!!!! I tried a couple times in the harbour this winter for opal squid like they do in Puget Sound but no luck. I'm assuming this is an opal squid that was in the lings stomach?
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Haven’t seen one that big before in a ling but also have never made much of an effort to check.

That's from T&T for sure. Someone missed the bite.

Found a string of prawn traps up Indian Arm today at low slack, line looks like it was cut by a prop and was floating with no marker. Traps smell like they were down for a while. Shoot me a private message with a description and location to claim. No opportunists please.

Fished Cowan Point for pinks and chum on the high slack on an overcast day earlier this week. A green spatter back hoochie at 140 on one rigger and a big eye avocado dream at 50ft on the other while I was getting ready to double stack . Just before I reached over to do the double stack clip the pin popped and the line zinged out with a 10-12lb hatchery spring safely released. Brought the hoochie up to 65ft and the pin popped with a slightly smaller safely released spring. Eventually caught and released 5 fish at 50-70ft in the space of an hour. My thoughts are: slack tide so fish coming up to feed or move to find feed, and overcast with no sun early in the morning so fish coming up higher in the water column.
Later in the day, fished just south of Hutt Island for pinks and chum on a warm bright late afternoon with the same gear and safely released two 6-8lb in the space of 30 minutes one on each lure all at 190ft on the rigger. My thoughts on this one: bright sunny day with tide changing so those lazy butt fish are sitting down low on the bottom and need to have the lure in their face in order to bite.
Hope this helps the newby fishermen out there.
Tight lines

Back