2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

They're out there again today. Fishing just off Kits beach. Crab traps, no floats. View attachment 62427Should DFO be involved? Out of zone/season? Or do some people have no rules?
I'm getting hesitant to fish the freighters with so many things that you can lose your gear on at the bottom. Last week, all the action was at the waterfalls and south of Hutt anyways. All decent fish caught in two trips were at the bottom between 137 and 151 feet on coho killers - both Homeland Security and Herring Aide. The freighters only offered shakers. Seems like every trip to the freighters, we get caught on something at the bottom or see someone else get caught. I'm not sure what can be done about crabbers that don't use floats.

I'm getting hesitant to fish the freighters with so many things that you can lose your gear on at the bottom. Last week, all the action was at the waterfalls and south of Hutt anyways. All decent fish caught in two trips were at the bottom between 137 and 151 feet on coho killers - both Homeland Security and Herring Aide. The freighters only offered shakers. Seems like every trip to the freighters, we get caught on something at the bottom or see someone else get caught. I'm not sure what can be done about crabbers that don't use floats.
They're also in the area closed for contamination. Not sure about commercial openings but these are not sports fishers

I’ve seen them yesterday as well .Certainly they don’t look like sport fishermen
Forget my ignorance but how can you fish crab traps without a float ?!
D

Does this flasher belong to anyone who can tell me what happened at Tunstall? Here's the story. Yesterday around noon we hooked what we thought was a big fish. After a while we realized it wasn't a fish but we were caught on something else, maybe a crab trap. We circled around and finally got our gear up, still heavy with something. Turns out our hook was caught on someone else's line without another boat anywhere near us, and that other line was caught on something. We untangled our gear and started hand bombing in the other line, which was still very heavy. Then, we saw a seal surface. That other line we had snagged had a seal attached to the other end of it. We pulled and pulled that other line by hand and I could feel the seal fighting. Then, suddenly the line went slack and we kept at it until we reached the end of the line with this flasher attached. The flasher looks like it was spray painted red on the bottom. I would love to know the story about how this gear was lost and if there had been a seal attached to it at the time it was lost. Also, when did it happen?

I agree. I won’t fish the harbour after hooking a line yesterday. Could lift it about 40ft off the btm but had to cut and lose two sets of gear. Maybe later in the year when you don’t need to fish near the btm.

Last edited:
Fished up the sound today. Beautiful day, was warmest I’ve been this winter fishing on my open boat. Only 2 hits dragging spoons and small chovies from 10am-2:30pm. Thankfully first one was a keeper which didn’t require a tape, second one got sealed pretty quick. Chased it into 10’ of water trying to stay over top of him but just ended up with the head. Hard to say if it would’ve been a keeper. Tried exploring some new prawn ground which paid off. Managed to get our 250 and return a few to the prawn gods. Not too many berried either which is a plus. Came back to raided crab traps in the harbour. Salmon carcasses for bait in each in my usual hole which produces. Bait nearly all eaten and 1 small female in 1 and zip in second trap. There was a aluminum sled nearby with stacks of traps(30+ on-board) pulling in the harbour. Didn’t see them pull them so won’t make any accusations but frustrating for sure! Last picture is the aluminum sled, keep an eye on your gear!
i was out yesterday and saw those guys too with all the traps i stayed close to mine to keep a eye they never went into the shallows stayed out more north from the markers i noticed i managed to get one keeper yesterday off the bell and one under which i released

This is where I picked up mine in relation to the fixed vessel births off Spanish Banks. This thing was laying rather horizontal and I got it to the boat, lucky for sure. It was flat calm and I caught it before spinning around too much. Lots of junk down there and it's a bummer as the freighters can produce. If I'm fishing there I stay outside this line of ships.

Attachments

• 20201211_074533.jpg
    20201211_074533.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 123
This is where I picked up mine in relation to the fixed vessel births off Spanish Banks. This thing was laying rather horizontal and I got it to the boat, lucky for sure. It was flat calm and I caught it before spinning around too much. Lots of junk down there and it's a bummer as the freighters can produce. If I'm fishing there I stay outside this line of ships.

Back