2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

If anyone was contemplating a run out this afternoon (thinking Environment Canada got it wrong looking at Reeltime's pic) the wind has picked up notably down here in Kits in the last little while.

Beautiful, clearly hidden from the squals outside...I just took the dog for a quick burn down to the waterfront and man, it is RIPPING in the harbor, she didn't even want to stick her head out. Surfing under the second narrows, whos with me haha

Over/under on sailboats on the rocks tomorrow morning? Heading up the sound tomorrow morning. Not going to bother getting up too early with winds suppose to die down overnight. Will report back!

Had enough of work and kitchen reno's so took a buddy out fishing today - yes despite the high wind warning. Started in the harbour, at 9.45am seas were calm and sun was out. My buddy picked up a wee shaker after 2 minutes then things were slow for the next couple of hours. We got both downrigger balls caught on a submerged line on the bottom about 50yards from the bell buoy on the NE side. Lost a ball. Blew a fuse on the other rigger. Got it all sorted while at a standstill going up and down in the swell. Felt sick. Shot over to the serene calm waters Hole In The Wall and did one pass picking up another wee shaker then we shot over to Hutt Island where I picked up a keeper 2ft off the bottom just passing the end of the island heading south, on a skinny G Herring Aid, did another pass but no more action. Seas were fairly calm and a slight wind. Trolled south towards the waterfall at the southmost marker and wind and seas started to get up and rough so we headed North with the wind behind us and I picked up another keeper on the same Herring Aid then 5 minutes later my buddy hits into a fighting 9lb'er on a Skinny G Homeland, which we landed then headed home. Picked up our two crab traps just off Stanley park in 4-5ft swells with a strong Westerley - it was like being on Dangerous Catch - got 3 crabs each. Stopped to get gas at the Coal Harbour Chevron and the gas guy thought we were crazy - and we were his only boat of the day at 4.30'ish.
Yes crazy but 3 fish and 6 crab make for an awesome winter fishing experience.
Also we did check the sea conditions on various web cams before heading out (I would recommend Jericho Sailing clubs and Hollyburn Sailing club for Harbour conditions) and the wind and high seas didn't hit us until 3.45pm when we were on our way back and then we had the wind behind us.

Last edited:
Boy you guys are sure lucky to be able to fish in the winter! Gorgeous scenery up there. WA no longer has a winter fishery as of 2020 and probably not getting it back anytime soon. We've been unable to fish for salmon since september and have to wait until at least July to get back on the water if allowed, but it's not looking good. Sorry for the derail, I really need to stop looking at BC reports!

Last edited:
Had enough of work and kitchen reno's so took a buddy out fishing today - yes despite the high wind warning. Started in the harbour, at 9.45am seas were calm and sun was out. My buddy picked up a wee shaker after 2 minutes then things were slow for the next couple of hours. We got both downrigger balls caught on a submerged line on the bottom about 50yards from the bell buoy on the NE side. Lost a ball. Blew a fuse on the other rigger. Got it all sorted while at a standstill going up and down in the swell. Felt sick. Shot over to the serene calm waters Hole In The Wall and did one pass picking up another wee shaker then we shot over to Hutt Island where I picked up a keeper 2ft off the bottom just passing the end of the island heading south, on a skinny G Herring Aid, did another pass but no more action. Seas were fairly calm and a slight wind. Trolled south towards the waterfall at the southmost marker and wind and seas started to get up and rough so we headed North with the wind behind us and I picked up another keeper on the same Herring Aid then 5 minutes later my buddy hits into a fighting 9lb'er on a Skinny G Homeland, which we landed then headed home. Picked up our two crab traps just off Stanley park in 4-5ft swells with a strong Westerley - it was like being on Dangerous Catch - got 3 crabs each. Stopped to get gas at the Coal Harbour Chevron and the gas guy thought we were crazy - and we were his only boat of the day at 4.30'ish.
Yes crazy but 3 fish and 6 crab make for an awesome winter fishing experience.

You really haven't lived til you've hand bombed downrigger braid with the ball wrapped around some ****** old commercial trap line. Nice save on the one side. That area is full of line, I got hung up there last time I was there but only the shore side and I manged to get the ball back.

Last edited:
You really haven't lived til you've hand bombed downrigger braid with the ball wrapped around some ****** old commercial trap line. Nice save on the one side. That area is full of line, I got hung up there last time I was there but only the shore side and I manged to get the ball back.
I hit one like that just off Tofino in 100’. Got it to 40’ but that was it.

Fished up the sound today. Beautiful day, was warmest I’ve been this winter fishing on my open boat. Only 2 hits dragging spoons and small chovies from 10am-2:30pm. Thankfully first one was a keeper which didn’t require a tape, second one got sealed pretty quick. Chased it into 10’ of water trying to stay over top of him but just ended up with the head. Hard to say if it would’ve been a keeper. Tried exploring some new prawn ground which paid off. Managed to get our 250 and return a few to the prawn gods. Not too many berried either which is a plus. Came back to raided crab traps in the harbour. Salmon carcasses for bait in each in my usual hole which produces. Bait nearly all eaten and 1 small female in 1 and zip in second trap. There was a aluminum sled nearby with stacks of traps(30+ on-board) pulling in the harbour. Didn’t see them pull them so won’t make any accusations but frustrating for sure! Last picture is the aluminum sled, keep an eye on your gear!

Attachments

• A2E61B0F-13C6-429C-B4C4-F5492FD1D5CB.jpeg
    A2E61B0F-13C6-429C-B4C4-F5492FD1D5CB.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 01459113-0437-403E-882F-341D25639781.jpeg
    01459113-0437-403E-882F-341D25639781.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 8E29ABBB-3A79-4C46-A575-08D145465F14.jpeg
    8E29ABBB-3A79-4C46-A575-08D145465F14.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 234
Boy you guys are sure lucky to be able to fish in the winter! Gorgeous scenery up there. WA no longer has a winter fishery as of 2020 and probably not getting it back anytime soon. We've been unable to fish for salmon since september and have to wait until at least July to get back on the water if allowed, but it's not looking good. Sorry for the derail, I really need to stop looking at BC reports!
Are you allowed to catch and release?

Fished up the sound today. Beautiful day, was warmest I’ve been this winter fishing on my open boat. Only 2 hits dragging spoons and small chovies from 10am-2:30pm. Thankfully first one was a keeper which didn’t require a tape, second one got sealed pretty quick. Chased it into 10’ of water trying to stay over top of him but just ended up with the head. Hard to say if it would’ve been a keeper. Tried exploring some new prawn ground which paid off. Managed to get our 250 and return a few to the prawn gods. Not too many berried either which is a plus. Came back to raided crab traps in the harbour. Salmon carcasses for bait in each in my usual hole which produces. Bait nearly all eaten and 1 small female in 1 and zip in second trap. There was a aluminum sled nearby with stacks of traps(30+ on-board) pulling in the harbour. Didn’t see them pull them so won’t make any accusations but frustrating for sure! Last picture is the aluminum sled, keep an eye on your gear!
They're out there again today. Fishing just off Kits beach. Crab traps, no floats. 20210228_125729.jpgShould DFO be involved? Out of zone/season? Or do some people have no rules?

Back