2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Guys. I kid you not I have NEVER been sealed. I'm honestly shocked at how often people do. There's no point to this comment. Just a cool story...bro.
I got sealed 4 times last time I was out. Once at waterfall, and 3 times at Grace. I was the only boat so the little ***** knew where to feast I guess.

Does this flasher belong to anyone who can tell me what happened at Tunstall? Here's the story. Yesterday around noon we hooked what we thought was a big fish. After a while we realized it wasn't a fish but we were caught on something else, maybe a crab trap. We circled around and finally got our gear up, still heavy with something. Turns out our hook was caught on someone else's line without another boat anywhere near us, and that other line was caught on something. We untangled our gear and started hand bombing in the other line, which was still very heavy. Then, we saw a seal surface. That other line we had snagged had a seal attached to the other end of it. We pulled and pulled that other line by hand and I could feel the seal fighting. Then, suddenly the line went slack and we kept at it until we reached the end of the line with this flasher attached. The flasher looks like it was spray painted red on the bottom. I would love to know the story about how this gear was lost and if there had been a seal attached to it at the time it was lost. Also, when did it happen?

Attachments

• flasher.jpg
    flasher.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 103
Does this flasher belong to anyone who can tell me what happened at Tunstall? Here's the story. Yesterday around noon we hooked what we thought was a big fish. After a while we realized it wasn't a fish but we were caught on something else, maybe a crab trap. We circled around and finally got our gear up, still heavy with something. Turns out our hook was caught on someone else's line without another boat anywhere near us, and that other line was caught on something. We untangled our gear and started hand bombing in the other line, which was still very heavy. Then, we saw a seal surface. That other line we had snagged had a seal attached to the other end of it. We pulled and pulled that other line by hand and I could feel the seal fighting. Then, suddenly the line went slack and we kept at it until we reached the end of the line with this flasher attached. The flasher looks like it was spray painted red on the bottom. I would love to know the story about how this gear was lost and if there had been a seal attached to it at the time it was lost. Also, when did it happen?
Nice to retrieve someone's lost gear! Hopefully the owner is on the forum.
That is a common flasher however - "Bloody Nose". It came like this from the factory.

I lost 6 of them last fall so I'll PM you my address and please send it to me ..... Its mine ! :) For the hell of it we should put our names on them , interesting to see where they end up though (other than on the bottom)

Fished all around the harbour yesterday, the seals are smashing shakers now that we are dragging around, this seal must have got the hook
on it's mug, what a violent pop off the clip, finally saw him at the surface pulling away,, then hook popped of his lip, now i know these missed
hit's, aren’t always a missed fish, managed a good haul of crabs and a nice winter keeper Bell area...
IMG_2976.JPG

Got sealed at Grace 2 weekends ago. Chased seal into the shallows and it was dragging around someone else’s gear, however the flasher looked purple. We got our gear back, but not the fish. I’m sure there’s a few of the buggers swimming around with some extra jewelry.

Last edited:
Wrist rocket will help you get your gear back if he is close to the boat can maybe utilize that they got two minutes of air time try to stay on top of him .

Got sealed at Grace 2 weekends ago. Chased seal into the shallows and it was dragging around someone else’s gear, however the flasher looked purple. We got our gear back, but not the fish. I’m sure there’s a fish of the buggers swimming around with some extra jewelry.
There was about 100 feet of line attached to the flasher so it must have broken off near the rod rather than at the leader. I am thinking the seal got the other person's salmon and gear, but couldn't shake the hook, and was dragging all the gear around until we snagged it.

Wrist rocket on board. Very handy, very cheap, very fun and very effective.
They were all sub surface steals unfortunately.

I find most of my interactions with whiskers is when the fish has surfaced and goes for a spring across the surface.

Btw who's gonna hit it tomorrow only 70 to 90 kmh winds forecast haha...

I find most of my interactions with whiskers is when the fish has surfaced and goes for a spring across the surface.

Btw who's gonna hit it tomorrow only 70 to 90 kmh winds forecast haha...
Tomorrow is off BUT early saturday morning is on.. just deciding between howe sound or bell buoy!

Got sealed at Grace 2 weekends ago. Chased seal into the shallows and it was dragging around someone else’s gear, however the flasher looked purple. We got our gear back, but not the fish. I’m sure there’s a few of the buggers swimming around with some extra jewelry.
the rock dogs up at Langara look like punk rockers with all the piercings and jewellery hanging off of them!

Back