2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Are those 2 seals swimming around eating bait on the left hand side of the Garmin screen?
Not sure about that but at one point I was able to count 4 seals on the surface and 2 of them were chasing a King Fisher that had 4 rods on the riggers - maybe seals are into some probability analysis game?? :D

1615956765544.jpeg

Going to zip over to Gabriola Saturday morning for some prawning/fishing and spend night at Pages Inn. Anyone know if pub is open yet? When I was there in June it looked like they had started construction but also heard maybe they had some issues with liquor permits? All word of mouth. Wondering if I’m bringing food or if we can grab a burger there. Will report back on any action. It’s definitely a little early but keen to check it out. Winds look like they’ll cooperate a “little better” for us now.

Going to zip over to Gabriola Saturday morning for some prawning/fishing and spend night at Pages Inn. Anyone know if pub is open yet? When I was there in June it looked like they had started construction but also heard maybe they had some issues with liquor permits? All word of mouth. Wondering if I’m bringing food or if we can grab a burger there. Will report back on any action. It’s definitely a little early but keen to check it out. Winds look like they’ll cooperate a “little better” for us now.

I'm pretty sure not much has happened with the pub as of yet but maybe ask Gloria before ripping over. Have a good time!!

Will be interested to hear how the fishing is at Gabriola as we stunk it out during a two hour fish at Porlier on the way to Saltspring today and didn't notice any action around us. The positives were a perfect crossing, an island sunset and not having to return to Vancouver until Sunday. Will definitely try Thrasher/Grande and Porlier (again) before heading back.
IMG_5593.jpeg
IMG_5596.jpeg

Someone posted in nanaimo reports that thrasher was slow and small fish. I think...little early for there I would imagine

Fished the bell buoy, freighters and harbour from 9 am to 4 pm. Marked lots of fish (right on the bottom) and bait. Only caught three undersized. Seemed the fish were holding and not active or feeding (obviously) even at low slack. Probably 15 boats out and no one seemed to be getting any fish. Kept the nets dry.

On the upside, crabs were great off Spanish Banks (limit of 4 keepers in ~55' on two traps, two pulls) and weather was calm and warm.

1615993021173.png

Someone posted in nanaimo reports that thrasher was slow and small fish. I think...little early for there I would imagine
It’s definitely a little early but nice to getaway for a night and see what’s shaking. Hopefully prawning is decent, was last spring in that area before commies moved in. Will report back.

I fished freighters to bell tonight. It was a beautiful night on the water. So much bait everywhere. Off the bottom to forty feet off the bottom seemed to be fairly even in terms of where I saw the bait. But not even a shaker. One side had herring aid small spoon on a black. And the other a cookies a cream spoon on light green glow. My theory is there was too much bait. They weren't enticed by my metal. Great night

Fished the bell buoy, freighters and harbour from 9 am to 4 pm. Marked lots of fish (right on the bottom) and bait. Only caught three undersized. Seemed the fish were holding and not active or feeding (obviously) even at low slack. Probably 15 boats out and no one seemed to be getting any fish. Kept the nets dry.

On the upside, crabs were great off Spanish Banks (limit of 4 keepers in ~55' on two traps, two pulls) and weather was calm and warm.

View attachment 63228
what garmin unit is that?

Back