2021 Ucluelet Reports

Squid are still in the harbour. Just caught a bucket full with my kid off the dock.
We are coming up Friday and staying by the Floathouse dock. Can you get them in the daytime or just at night? Also, will the Floathouse Restaurant dock be a good place to try?
Thanks!

We are coming up Friday and staying by the Floathouse dock. Can you get them in the daytime or just at night? Also, will the Floathouse Restaurant dock be a good place to try?
Thanks!
Frankie's resto bar was great also seom korean restaurant was a real surprise, floathouse was definitely the worst of the 3 that I tried

Thanks!
if you’re staying near the float house I would highly recommend making the walk up to howlers pub and restaurant.

Thanks!
no you won’t get them at the float house restaurant Atleast I’ve not seen anyone try there. Go to the aquarium and there is a dock that you can drive on 10 to 15 feet above the water that is where people are catching them. During the day and night but we have only tried during the day. My son got 60 today and it didn’t take to long.

no you won’t get them at the float house restaurant Atleast I’ve not seen anyone try there. Go to the aquarium and there is a dock that you can drive on 10 to 15 feet above the water that is where people are catching them. During the day and night but we have only tried during the day. My son got 60 today and it didn’t take to long.
do you eat them or bait?

do you eat them or bait?
I am guessing that they are basically calamari which I like. Can you please tell me what to use to catch them as I will go to Berry's Bait and Tackle today to pick up what I need. Drop to the bottom and jig for them?
Thanks!

Great info, thanks! Have you eaten them and are they like the same squid you would buy at the fish market?
J

25 hours till we make the trip over... can't wait. If anyone see's my black Misty River feel free to say hi!

Attachments

• Resized_20210729_164715_345.jpg
    Resized_20210729_164715_345.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 41
Lots of people are finding halis, hatchery cohos, and some springs all around Amphitrite. Flo is slow, but the beach is picking up for bigger springs. Big Bank is good, but only go there if you need a big hali and want to mix in some other fishing while there.

afternoon, I moved my boat to ukee yesterday, and did a few hours fishing . WYA point area had fish and decent size, Couple of dozen boats nicely spaced out, and the bite can one at high water and continued for a couple of hours, on one pass, we saw five boats all close to us with fish or double headers on, Didn't see all the action as we were busy with a couple our selves. Little bouncy and definitely warm. Going back this weekend for a bunch of days. Also saw a Washington state boat, he must have been first in line for border openings. Boat basin is full, allow yur self time coming in for the road delays, it looks like they open road to clear backlog at top of hour then close again. closed 5-7am and 11-3, at 830 going in, the outbound line extended well back beyond toquart turn off. The fish we caught had belly full of needle fish.

afternoon, I moved my boat to ukee yesterday, and did a few hours fishing . WYA point area had fish and decent size, Couple of dozen boats nicely spaced out, and the bite can one at high water and continued for a couple of hours, on one pass, we saw five boats all close to us with fish or double headers on, Didn't see all the action as we were busy with a couple our selves. Little bouncy and definitely warm. Going back this weekend for a bunch of days. Also saw a Washington state boat, he must have been first in line for border openings. Boat basin is full, allow yur self time coming in for the road delays, it looks like they open road to clear backlog at top of hour then close again. closed 5-7am and 11-3, at 830 going in, the outbound line extended well back beyond toquart turn off. The fish we caught had belly full of needle fish.
We came back yesterday. Fished WYA Monday night. Loaded with Springs. 28lb,27lb,25 and almost got spooled on one we didn't see. Like a freight train. Also full of needle fish!

Well got home last night from a couple great days over there... first time so didn't really know what I was getting into and my buddy who was going to show me the ropes decided to take off 15 minutes before me and we were left to figure it out.
Long story short we fished in fairly close and so many small springs it was crazy. We scratched a few 12lb class fish up but that was all... Rock fish were fun my kid couldn't get enough of it and so a few just short lings to boot. On a side note though... Over population of Cabazon, WOW are they ugly and everywhere you'd drop a jig (Fight like a bugger too). All and all great trip. Silver Horde spoons were are top go-to's not much luck on anything else.

Lots of big Chinook being caught inshore the last week. Get out there while it's good.. Wya and Lighthouse to BlackRock shoreline.

Back