2021 Ucluelet Reports

Does anyone know when the squid come into the harbour? I’m trying to get into squid jigging just not sure when to go.

As per the backgrounder, Opal squid tend to be a summer spawner on WCVI. On good squid spawn years the “show” has been on at Wya and Wreck Bay during my typical trips first half of June, though never tried for them in the harbour. Members like Aces or Ucluelet Charters should be able to give you some better, more specific local info but, there’s a lot of variability in nature year to year. When the new and full moons occur in the late spring/summer, ocean currents and temps, pressure systems, relative stock abundance, etc, etc all will play a role in shifting the spawn earlier or later.

Cheers!

thinking of heading out next week for some fishing. Any reports or advice for this time of year? Salmon or Hali. I’ll be happy to report on my findings.

we will be there from the 1st to 14th family vacation and fishing trip. We will see you guys on the water again im sure.
Do to a change in my work schedule I had to move my booking up a week. Thankfully I was able to do so and all is rebooked successfully. I have been a little disappointed as Aug is usually ones safest bet for top Chinook fishing as well as dealing with the offshore size restrictions. I was just reviewing the tides for July and looks like I couldn’t have timed it better for the big flood. We will be starting our trip on the biggest flood for the month. Should push some of those big hogs up onto the rocks and make for some good inshore fishing.

Counting the days now, trusting the travel restrictions will be lifted, be darn disappointing if they aren’t I’ll tell yah.

Do to a change in my work schedule I had to move my booking up a week. Thankfully I was able to do so and all is rebooked successfully. I have been a little disappointed as Aug is usually ones safest bet for top Chinook fishing as well as dealing with the offshore size restrictions. I was just reviewing the tides for July and looks like I couldn’t have timed it better for the big flood. We will be starting our trip on the biggest flood for the month. Should push some of those big hogs up onto the rocks and make for some good inshore fishing.

Counting the days now, trusting the travel restrictions will be lifted, be darn disappointing if they aren’t I’ll tell yah.
Pretty sure you’ll be fine. I think this current restriction (both BC’s and Alberta’s) are the government’s last kick at the can. People will go apesh!t if their summer plans are cancelled.

Pretty sure you’ll be fine. I think this current restriction (both BC’s and Alberta’s) are the government’s last kick at the can. People will go apesh!t if their summer plans are cancelled.

Yeah bud... I can't wait to come see the island again. Been allot of years,.

Never fished Ukee before heading up this weekend.I have a few ideas where to go,any suggestions for this time of year welcomed.Thanks

Austin and Cree are a good bet early season. 55' to 65' on the rigger, small spoons in glow green usually money.
Thanks Charleygirl,I usually fish Cree/Austin out of Bammer and it was the one spot I had in the back of the mind that could be productive from Ukee

Is there any good shore fishing around Ucluelet? I'll be there working next week but can't hall out the kayak for the few days I'm there. If thers a good spot what's good to bring.

Lots of Surf Perch near the rocks at the end of any beach-2 or 3ounce weight and a simple bar rig with any type of bait especially fresh smashed Mussels just pried off the rocks.

Austin and Cree are a good bet early season. 55' to 65' on the rigger, small spoons in glow green usually money.
We were getting them at 80' over the long weekend.

Back