2021 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Id say the afternoon winds will be from the NW give or take. Windy or FishWeather combined with the government marine forecast, you have a decent weather picture. It’s definitely looking very fishable this weekend.

had a lot of fog today that is currently building again this evening- looking out the living room window. Hard to say what the weekend will hold for fog but id count on some in the morning most days.

as for safe boating, I run around in a 17ft aluminum bow rider (lake boat) and im not intimidated by the forecast at this point and I will likely be on the backside at least one day this coming weekend, and possibly as far out as one of the banks If the wind is still sitting by 9-10am. But I don’t mess around with the wind past noonish, especially if there’s a big tide change, but if you have the freeboard and can handle the pounding, it’s usually not too bad unless it blows over 20knots against the tide. The fog will likely be the bigger impact.

heard a few coho finally showing up, but mostly springs (which are still closed).
Thank you very much for the reply and the detailed info. Maybe we will see you out there - my boat is a grey river hawk.

I never thought I would post this about Telegraph, but it's almost to hot to fish here.

How is fishing around Port Mcneill at the end of July? I am going to Winter Harbour with a group from July 26th-29th and are thinking about bringing the boat up and leaving it with some friends in Port Mcneill to extend the trip through the long weekend after WH. Never fished the area before

How is fishing around Port Mcneill at the end of July? I am going to Winter Harbour with a group from July 26th-29th and are thinking about bringing the boat up and leaving it with some friends in Port Mcneill to extend the trip through the long weekend after WH. Never fished the area before
Fished it the last week of July in 2019 and we had no fog the entire week. Maybe we got lucky. We had calm waters and sunshine. Fishing was hit and miss. One day we got Coho and pinks then next day had to scratch up the odd one. Halibut and ling fishing was good.

I'm coming up end of June with a friend to go kayak fishing out of Alder Bay. The 25 to 27 of June. Iv never fished up there befor what's the tide and current like in the area? I would have looked for a lower tide change but can't pick the days.
Was hoping for salmon but I guess not till July so mostly hunting halibut and lingcod.
How did you make out on your trip? Im heading up on the 17th and there's not much for reports.

How did you make out on your trip? Im heading up on the 17th and there's not much for reports.
We did not do well. We were not prepared for the current up there and so basically were paddling up river all day. We did enjoy the camp but we're just to beat up fighting the current to go for the second day.

Well opening day at TC has come and gone with a few fish had by most that went out, today was another story more later.. The wife put in 9 hours on the boat with me yesterday had our 2 springs in the first hour and a half then went and put the crab traps down and anchor for a few hours and gave the boat a good deep clean , which apparently it needed ,so she tells me. left the traps and went Linging and came up with a nice 15#er . Back to todays story, she wouldn't get up so I went at the crack of 7am made my way to my favorite kelp bed and sure enough I was into my personal best spring. Hard to believe after running the lodge in the Charlottes for all those years and guiding into more 40,50 and even 60 #ers that my personal best was 41#. Well today it got beat by 2#s, a beautiful 43 # was caught and released and swam away hopefully health with no blood in sight. Just to clarify, the weight was an estimate from the weight xgirth time girth divided by 800. 47x27x27 divided by 800

Last edited:
Well opening day at TC has come and gone with a few fish had by most that went out, today was another story more later.. The wife put in 9 hours on the boat with me yesterday had our 2 springs in the first hour and a half then went and put the crab traps down and anchor for a few hours and gave the boat a good deep clean , which apparently it needed ,so she tells me. left the traps and went Linging and came up with a nice 15#er . Back to todays story, she wouldn't get up so I went at the crack of 7am made my way to my favorite kelp bed and sure enough I was into my personal best spring. Hard to believe after running the lodge in the Charlottes for all those years and guiding into more 40,50 and even 60 #ers that my personal best was 41#. Well today it got beat by 2#s, a beautiful 43 # was caught and released and swam away hopefully health with no blood in sight. Just to clarify, the weight was an estimate from the weight xgirth time girth divided by 800. 47x27x27 divided by 800
Awesome, congratulations

Nice job Capt Ed. Awesome to hear about the startup of another TC season and with a big exclamation mark! That is a nice fish--worthy of a dram of single malt reflecting at the Saltery. I'm looking forward to another good chunk of Aug (starting Aug 6) in TC, otherwise quietly known to some as the best place in the world!

Opening day we caught a nice 13 lb spring and the on 16th yesterday, an 8 lb coho... borh off Swanson Is. No complaints here!

Attachments

• 20210715_091753.jpg
    20210715_091753.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 75
Anyone been picking up springs around port McNeill lately? Been fishing the last couple days around malcom point and only finding coho and pinks. Tried going out deeper but not having any luck for springs

Anyone been picking up springs around port McNeill lately? Been fishing the last couple days around malcom point and only finding coho and pinks. Tried going out deeper but not having any luck for springs
Randy, the guide in Sointula, was catching at Ledge Pt about a week ago - 3 over 30 one morning. More under 80 cm.

We caught one 95 cm and one 85 in Wells and Fife middle of last week. Unfortunately a month too early to keep. 55' on anchovies.

Made it through the fog from TC to Donegal this morning to start. Had a ton of hits on anchovies between 65 and 95’. Released 2 really nice wild coho. Tied into a real runner on a mostly white hoochie 75’. Fit the a slot at 75cm so made the morning all the better.

Tried ledge point to start to morning, nothing going on for us. Went over to lizard point, fishing anchovies and a spoon 57-87 caught and released some nice coho. Moved down to donegal and released some more coho and lost what was probably a nice spring. Ended with food at the pub in TC to finish off a good day

Back