2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Just got home from 4 days at Nootka, the inside was very slow for us but a few dark fish were caught by others. We landed a 15lb chrome spring at Camel rock and released lots of undersized on the inside. Most of our fish came from Beano, inside Maquinna and epic fishing out at the whistle buoy at Bajo, non stop action with springs and coho when we ran the 20 miles outside. There was over 50 boats out there yesterday and almost flat calm.

Attachments

• 90F0683B-7EA0-4C32-AAE1-61CEA1842BEC.jpeg
    90F0683B-7EA0-4C32-AAE1-61CEA1842BEC.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Just got home from 4 days at Nootka, the inside was very slow for us but some dark few fish were caught by others. We landed a 15lb Chrome spring at Camel rock and released lots of undersized on the inside. Most of our fish came from Beano, inside Maquinna and epic fishing out at the whistle buoy at Bajo, non stop action with springs and coho when we ran the 20 miles outside. There was over 50 boats out there yesterday and almost flat calm.
You must mean 20 miles from the dock not from the lighthouse ?

Heading up to Esperanza on Thursday after work for a week and have a few logistic questions. Only fished there once before but am going to prospect and fish area. New boat ready to camp on for the trip.

Questions
1. Want to launch at Gold River Thursday evening. Is the launch available in the evening and can you park there then? Likely there around 8. Can’t get there any earlier.
2. Fuel in Esperanza area. Have to switch crews Sunday in Tahsis. Best fuel prices are where?
3. Is the Weatview Marina pub and restaurant up and running?

thanks Steve

1. Last year they were there until 9 PM. I’ve always been told if they’re not there; launch, leave a note at office with plate number and pay when you retrieve. I just don’t know what they do now with that parking lot gate……..if it’s open or not after 9 pm. I suspect it’s left open all night because the damaged gate was hit by someone after the staff had left retrieving their boat.
3. Yes it’s open, I was there last week. Restaurant, fuel sales and lots of gear for sale.

Last edited:
Fishing In Esperanza continues to be good. Chinook fishing is productive to the North at grassy and closer areas like low rock and Pin rocks. Rosa is Spitting out a few fish as well as the Canuma fish start to arrive. The weather has been wet but will improve over the next few days, but it could get windy. Anchovies and small spoons have been effective.
July23.jpg

Heading up to Esperanza on Thursday after work for a week and have a few logistic questions. Only fished there once before but am going to prospect and fish area. New boat ready to camp on for the trip.

Questions
1. Want to launch at Gold River Thursday evening. Is the launch available in the evening and can you park there then? Likely there around 8. Can’t get there any earlier.
2. Fuel in Esperanza area. Have to switch crews Sunday in Tahsis. Best fuel prices are where?
3. Is the Weatview Marina pub and restaurant up and running?

thanks Steve
Fuel available at the Esperanza fuel dock in the Cut and at the Zeballos fuel dock, both closer than Westview. Esperanza sells tackle, snacks and scotty equipment.

Fuel available at the Esperanza fuel dock in the Cut and at the Zeballos fuel dock, both closer than Westview. Esperanza sells tackle, snacks and scotty equipment.
Thanks for the update. Have to change crew in Tahsis so will go in there once.

1. Last year they were there until 9 PM. I’ve always been told if they’re not there; launch, leave a note at office with plate number and pay when you retrieve. I just don’t know what they do now with that parking lot gate……..if it’s open or not after 9 pm. I suspect it’s left open all night because the damaged gate was hit by someone after the staff had left retrieving their boat.
3. Yes it’s open, I was there last week. Restaurant, fuel sales and lots of gear for sale.
Thankyou for the info. Much appreciated.

Just returned home after 4 nights at Critter Cove. Fishing was extremely slow bordering on dead.

Day 1 - 10 hours no action.
Day 2 - 12 hours, a 20 pounder at 630 am and a 19 pounder at 630 pm.
Day 3 - 11 hours, no action.
Day 4 - 11 hours, no action.
Day 5 - 3 hours, 1 bite but no hook up.

It just wasn't the lack of bites but very few fish showing on the sounder. ( I don't count the numerous bait stealing shakers and tons of jelly fish.)

At least we came home with 2, we saw some people go home empty handed.

It was nice to get away but the fish gods were not smiling on us this trip.

Until next time...............
I like day two. Twelve hours between fish. But it sounds like it paid to get out early and great patience waiting 12 hours for the next one. What were you using?

I like day two. Twelve hours between fish. But it sounds like it paid to get out early and great patience waiting 12 hours for the next one. What were you using?
We were using anchovies ( they were available then ) trolling around the 50 foot range.

Nootka is not slow

2 boat crew this weekend, both coming home with full coolers and full memory banks.

beano was best for us, white hootchies followed by chovies. Wee g spoon when fishing inside.

29 biggest, releasing some in the mid 20s.

Had action at the red can, seemed most of the fleet was there.
first light best as usual but got into some everywhere we went throughout the day.

grabbed a few at camel on the way out on day 1 and evenings. Heard there was a bite mid day as well.
Beano fish had a mix of large squid and needle fish, inside fish empty.

Just got back from critter, Brought home 14 springs and a mix of coho and bottom fish for our group. All fish came from the reef, didn't even bother to fish the inside. Red can . 135 ft deep right on the bottom with spoons or bait. Got into alot of feeder springs out there which was strange but good to see. Back for my last trip of this year this weekend!

Fishing continues to be very good In the Esperanza area. Chinook can be found anywhere from Grassy to pin rocks and some are on the inside too. The coho have thinned out they are still around but no longer a nuisance preventing getting chinooks. View attachment 68574
Nice to see the mechanics can catch fish. Thanks for helping me last year with my mercury trolling 9.9 on my Double Eagle 206

Doing some prep work for my upcoming trip to Nootka this week. Any updates on the inside? Any tackle suggestions also appreciated!

Back