2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Thanks for the update. Just had a friend return from Critter Cove and what Im hearing is that

Thanks for the response. Looks like crabbing may not be great up there. As far as setting traps where people fish that’s common sense to not do. We have a bit of a run and was thinking along the way that’s all.
thanks anyways will report when I return.
Unfortunately the sea otters also like dungeness crabs.

Am heading up to moutcha bay in a week . Was thinking about bringing a crap trap or two with me. Usually fish the lighthouse and was thinking about dumping them in that general area. Is it worthwhile or am I just wasting my time.
Not looking for spots was just wondering if crab are in the area.
Thanks
Absolute waste of time in that area-crab are elusive in Nootka-there are a few spots but unless you know them Not worth it. I only bother very early in the season(apr,may) when I'm just messing around-not expecting too much for fish.

Due to family stuff, my partner had to book a Nootka trip for Aug 14-17.
I've only fished there twice and it was 10+ years ago, but I studied Springfever's docs back then and still remember most of the spots.
I told him to expect the inside fishing to be sketchy due to lateness, gillnet openings, so-so fishing four years ago, and the fish will be dark, so we may have to run to the highway.
Does this sound about right? We're staying at Moutcha. 4 guys 2525 boat.

I've only fished there twice and it was 10+ years ago, but I studied Springfever's docs back then and still remember most of the spots.
I told him to expect the inside fishing to be sketchy due to lateness, gillnet openings, so-so fishing four years ago, and the fish will be dark, so we may have to run to the highway.
Yes it is late for Nootka-but you never know depending on the year and how the net fishery plays out and where they are allowed to fish. I have had good success at Burdwood that time of year-also think of a run up to Esperanza inshore can be very productive-Saltery bay, centre island , Rosa and the pin rocks to name a few. No need to go off-shore for salmon. Looks like Esperanza is the play this year. Just a thought!!

Well given how slow things have started at Nootka this year it’s possible later may be better than normal. I’ve had good luck some years first week of August.

Yes it is late for Nootka-but you never know depending on the year and how the net fishery plays out and where they are allowed to fish. I have had good success at Burdwood that time of year-also think of a run up to Esperanza inshore can be very productive-Saltery bay, centre island , Rosa and the pin rocks to name a few. No need to go off-shore for salmon. Looks like Esperanza is the play this year. Just a thought!!
We were getting fresh chinook at Rosa well into September last year. Mid August should still produce chinook at grassy/mushroom, low rock, and Pin rocks/ Blind reef area. Saltery bay can hold fish, as Spring fever mentions. Center Island tends to be more of a coho fishery, some pretty big.

Just returned home after 4 nights at Critter Cove. Fishing was extremely slow bordering on dead.

Day 1 - 10 hours no action.
Day 2 - 12 hours, a 20 pounder at 630 am and a 19 pounder at 630 pm.
Day 3 - 11 hours, no action.
Day 4 - 11 hours, no action.
Day 5 - 3 hours, 1 bite but no hook up.

It just wasn't the lack of bites but very few fish showing on the sounder. ( I don't count the numerous bait stealing shakers and tons of jelly fish.)

At least we came home with 2, we saw some people go home empty handed.

It was nice to get away but the fish gods were not smiling on us this trip.

Until next time...............

Just returned home after 4 nights at Critter Cove. Fishing was extremely slow bordering on dead.

It just wasn't the lack of bites but very few fish showing on the sounder. ( I don't count the numerous bait stealing shakers and tons of jelly fish.)

Inside usual spots, or outside?

Sounds like you stayed inshore?

And so it continues. Been like that since July 4.

The thing about Nootka is the hatcheries are there. The fish will eventually show up.

However, there is a big problem when the bait is up the coast 20 miles and holding all the fish off shore. This has happened more than a few times over the year.

Sometimes the water temperature in Nootka is running high, and if it is a period of minimal tides the fish stay off shore in the cooler water until the Sound cools down with big tides or a week of rain.

The later in the year, the more dark fish you will encounter. That is why early August is nice if the fish are inside or close to inside.

Drewski

Heading to Mutcha Bay on Saturday for a week. I hope fishing will be better than what it is being recent but not sure much will change in such a short period of time. Based on the recent reports I'm wondering if I should take the time and spend more time around Esperanza? Will try offshore if the wind allows for my 22' boat.

Got to Port Eliza around noon picked up 2-20 lbers, lost 1. Some fish up here, so not all bad news!

Our group just got back today, two boats, fishing inside was slow slow slow, i managed 19 1/2 my buddy lost another around 20 both at Coopte . And we fished hoise, camel, beer can bay copte up thasis inlet saw very little caught. Outside was on fire the last three days at the reef with springs coho and lings. I think most fishers were at reef, wash or beano because of how slow it was. We even managed to get three halis. All fish were filled with tons of needle fish. We caught most on spoons and occasionally used bait. Seas were great last three days. Now that fish are moving to reef they will likely show up inside. We managed to get a total of eight hatchery springs. Good luck to those heading up right now. Btw successful spoons were all small 3.5” - 4” NB no bait available at Critter and apparently not getting any more.

Our group just got back today, two boats, fishing inside was slow slow slow, i managed 19 1/2 my buddy lost another around 20 both at Coopte . And we fished hoise, camel, beer can bay copte up thasis inlet saw very little caught. Outside was on fire the last three days at the reef with springs coho and lings. I think most fishers were at reef, wash or beano because of how slow it was. We even managed to get three halis. All fish were filled with tons of needle fish. We caught most on spoons and occasionally used bait. Seas were great last three days. Now that fish are moving to reef they will likely show up inside. We managed to get a total of eight hatchery springs. Good luck to those heading up right now. Btw successful spoons were all small 3.5” - 4” NB no bait available at Critter and apparently not getting any more.
Anybody got a line on choivies, getting harder than hens teeth to find , need a case or 2

Back