2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Hi Chris73,

How deep and how far out did you have to go for your Halis? I have found that the last 2 years for halis out of Nootka were slow compared to prior years. Hoping this year will be more productive.
We found them pretty much anywhere. Right around the lighthouse and towards the middle of the sound mouth anywhere from 80-200' deep. Also near Bajo. Last year we trolled a bunch of chicken at the 100-200' drop off between lighthouse and Maquinna. Didn't try this year because jigging was so much more fun.

Just got back from Nootka. Stayed at Moucha and the accommodations were spectacular as always. Fishing never got super hot for us. From Wash to Maquinna was the most productive for us with the clear UV flash fly being the hot lure again. All fish were caught on bottom, was a tough week for cannon balls. 3 man limits on springs with 17lbs being the biggest. Never went more than 10 to 15min without a bite( shaker city). Not sure if the massive amounts of shakers are a sign of good things to come. The local biologist at the cleaning station thinks the next few years will be superb fishing with massive runs returning. Tons of coho off shore at out ling spots too. Limits of lings as well and a 133 Hali on the nose to cap the week. FYI DFO was in full swing checking boats and we got boarded. Great guy and had a fun 15 min with him. So make sure your boats are in order. Heard a few rumours of fish on the inside but never tried. One evening I counted 7 boats at camel rock.

We found them pretty much anywhere. Right around the lighthouse and towards the middle of the sound mouth anywhere from 80-200' deep. Also near Bajo. Last year we trolled a bunch of chicken at the 100-200' drop off between lighthouse and Maquinna. Didn't try this year because jigging was so much more fun.emed
Thanks Chris. Glad to hear numbers are good. 2019 and 2020 seemed like the numbers were low at the areas you mentioned for Halibut from my personal experience and talking to the fish processing guys. I am heading there next week and was thinking that I might have to head towards Esperenza for Halis.

Fishing is hot in Esperanza and you dont need to go far From the Lodge. Fish are all over, inner black, Pin Rocks, low rock, high rock, mushroom..... getting them on bait, hootchies, spoons. Get in on some of the best Chinook fishing of the year.minutes from the fishing spots at Port Eliza Lodge. IMG_5613.jpg

Fishing is hot in Esperanza and you dont need to go far From the Lodge. Fish are all over, inner black, Pin Rocks, low rock, high rock, mushroom..... getting them on bait, hootchies, spoons. Get in on some of the best Chinook fishing of the year.minutes from the fishing spots at Port Eliza Lodge. View attachment 67851
We had such a great time staying at Port Eliza Lodge. Chef Joanne is amazing!!! Eric gave us good advice on the hot spots. Had our limit in under an hour. Definitely going back. Thank you for an Epic 3 days !!!

hey Dennis B,
has DFO being checking pleasure craft operator cards? i know a guy who doesn't have his card lol.....other than that are they are checking the usual flares, lifejackets, licenses ect?

hey Dennis B,
has DFO being checking pleasure craft operator cards? i know a guy who doesn't have his card lol.....other than that are they are checking the usual flares, lifejackets, licenses ect?
Nope, not us. Checked out our Hali cause it was just on the line and checked our salmon and hooks for barbs and a decending device. Never asked for any safety equipment. He was just hanging inside friendly bay waiting for boats to go by. He only spent 5-10 min with the boats he pulled over. Very nice and friendly guy.

Nope, not us. Checked out our Hali cause it was just on the line and checked our salmon and hooks for barbs and a decending device. Never asked for any safety equipment. He was just hanging inside friendly bay waiting for boats to go by. He only spent 5-10 min with the boats he pulled over. Very nice and friendly guy.
We got stopped as well. Very nice guy. Even took the ribbing about his tactical helmet well LOL. We called him the Navy Seal of conservation.
Checked our licenses, rot cord on crab trap, took a picture of trap for reference.

I know one boat got nailed the day before…. Barbed hooks, undersize spring, license not marked. They got off with fines which is light…. Boat coulda been seized for the barbed hooks

We were out last weekend with the family again. I got stopped by DFO 2 times in one day. Once on the north side of Bligh (they were waiting just past San Carlos and just checking boats coming in. by one guy and then in the evening by a different boat in the Zucarrdi channel. Both were nice and decent and asked the right questions. it was good to see. we had our stuff in line so we had no issues.

For the trip we only fished a couple hours each morning and then the one afternoon with the kids. Ended up with 5 salmon and 3 halibut so for the little time we put in i think we did alright. biggest spring was only 22.

cool thanks guys, also anyone know if they close cougar creek gate at night, with my ferry times pulling in at 830pm wondering if thats too late usually...just have to crash in the overflow if so no biggy

cool thanks guys, also anyone know if they close cougar creek gate at night, with my ferry times pulling in at 830pm wondering if thats too late usually...just have to crash in the overflow if so no biggy
8:30pm you will be fine.

Mike

Well, up here now 3 days at Nootka and nothing but shakers. Probably the quietest Ive ever seen it. Been watching the cleaning table and DFO survey guy and very little activity. I guess it was on last week but this week its not on. A lot of sea weed off shore at Beano today. Almost impossible to fish. Plenty at the Lighthouse as well. Inside blew up today. Weird, lots of wind inside today. Anybody know if Esperanza is really on? Hard to believe its dead here and hot up there, but, guess that could happen.

Well, up here now 3 days at Nootka and nothing but shakers. Probably the quietest Ive ever seen it. Been watching the cleaning table and DFO survey guy and very little activity. I guess it was on last week but this week its not on. A lot of sea weed off shore at Beano today. Almost impossible to fish. Plenty at the Lighthouse as well. Inside blew up today. Weird, lots of wind inside today. Anybody know if Esperanza is really on? Hard to believe its dead here and hot up there, but, guess that could happen.
This may sound strange but u need to go deep.
Limited out at Wash and Beercan but was 130’ in 200’ of water at Beercan. At Wash follow the contour where it goes from 100’- 178’. Every single fish i got had sandlances in them no squid or anchovy.
Was using no bananas skinny g and loony spoon. 6’ leader

Esperanza has been on fire. Yesterday a 3 hour fish produced 12 chinook up to 25 lbs. It has been been like that all week. I am not at the lodge today so don't know if it slowed down today. the weather was rougher today. Don't let the secret out that Esperanza has better fishing than Nootka.....;)

lots of shakers. We fished mornings of June 30 and July 1. Got a spring behind rocks at Maquinna fishing more traditional depths, but got the rest of our chinooks and a coho out in 100 feet of water with balls down 105-110… bump the bottom and pick up a few feet. Scraped the beach looking for some early mature fish and all we could pick up were weeds (and more weeds) and a couple undersize ling. Tried inside in the evenings (half a$$ attempts) and only got shakers.

Back