2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

The sandy bottomed bay in front of the lighthouse Friendly Cove sometime has Halibut feeding on certain tides.
I've been out to Nootka 9 times in the last 5 years. and always been skunked on halibut till this year in late April...literally jigging a 6oz Deep Mac in 60ft of water for bottoms in front of the light house and caught my first ever Hali...go figure. I've heard all stories about guys picking up a few here and there trolling for salmon and I'm sure it happens all the time but just not to me. I've picked the brains of a few guides at Moutcha and most have never caught a Hali and don't ever target them. 90% of the Hali's they catch are just by fluke when trolling for salmon. I'm headed back at the end of June for 10 days and will give it my best effort offshore when the weather allows. I've also been told by the guides that Esperenza is the place for halis and just a a basic spreader bar drifting a 10' off bottom in the Inlet...since most of the inlet is all sand dragging a cannon ball on bottom is super productive...Funny, when picking the brain of the locals and i mention my struggles with halibut and they look at me like I have 3 heads. Either way I'll figure things out hopefully sooner than later. Anyone fishing the Moutcha Bay Derby...Since I'm the 2019 Derby champ I'd forgo my secret salmon tips for some Halibut spots:);)

We fished with Matt from NIL last June 15-19th.
Grabbed 5 Hali in two days front of the beach…
Trolled close to the bottom with flashers and squid( turds)!
hoping to do the same this year, first trip June 18-23rd.

I've been out to Nootka 9 times in the last 5 years. and always been skunked on halibut till this year in late April...literally jigging a 6oz Deep Mac in 60ft of water for bottoms in front of the light house and caught my first ever Hali...go figure. I've heard all stories about guys picking up a few here and there trolling for salmon and I'm sure it happens all the time but just not to me. I've picked the brains of a few guides at Moutcha and most have never caught a Hali and don't ever target them. 90% of the Hali's they catch are just by fluke when trolling for salmon. I'm headed back at the end of June for 10 days and will give it my best effort offshore when the weather allows. I've also been told by the guides that Esperenza is the place for halis and just a a basic spreader bar drifting a 10' off bottom in the Inlet...since most of the inlet is all sand dragging a cannon ball on bottom is super productive...Funny, when picking the brain of the locals and i mention my struggles with halibut and they look at me like I have 3 heads. Either way I'll figure things out hopefully sooner than later. Anyone fishing the Moutcha Bay Derby...Since I'm the 2019 Derby champ I'd forgo my secret salmon tips for some Halibut spots:);)
I’m a Moutcha lifer. Been going steady for a while with them. I’m usually there late July early August as that’s when the inshore turns on and you can limit on Springs with a good afternoon bite at Hoisse point

We fished with Matt from NIL last June 15-19th.
Grabbed 5 Hali in two days front of the beach…
Trolled close to the bottom with flashers and squid( turds)!
hoping to do the same this year, first trip June 18-23rd.
Nice, I hooked a Mola Mola near there last year. Wrong kind of flatfish

There’s some better spots out past Bajo reef on the edge of some of the contours in 160-200 ft water look on your chart be aware of the closed areas around bajo reef
Good luck use salmon bellies and herring you should see some results

billydoo
This ^

we always do well out there every year. 3 or 4 boats, easy Hali limits. Never disappoints. Bajo for Hali is where it’s at, man.

A few Halibut around offshore from Esperanza out of Port Eliza20210607_173012.jpg. They had to work for their limit today, seas were still pretty big from the last several days of storms which seemed to put the bite off. Not much effort for salmon lately but moderating sea conditions should mean a few guys will be trying

We are heading up to Nootka (South Side) on June 27th for 6 nights. Booked a floating house and can't wait to get there. We will be fishing from Bajo to almost Estevan point. Depends on the action. Will be at Beno in the early AM looking for a springer or 2... lol I haven't fished north of Nootka but is on the bucket list when I retire next year and move over to the island. Can't wait to get out of this LM zoo... I'm amazed I lasted this long coming for the flat lands. I love the island and spend as much time as I can over there ever year. Cheers, Rob

We are heading up to Nootka (South Side) on June 27th for 6 nights. Booked a floating house and can't wait to get there. We will be fishing from Bajo to almost Estevan point. Depends on the action. Will be at Beno in the early AM looking for a springer or 2... lol I haven't fished north of Nootka but is on the bucket list when I retire next year and move over to the island. Can't wait to get out of this LM zoo... I'm amazed I lasted this long coming for the flat lands. I love the island and spend as much time as I can over there ever year. Cheers, Rob
If the weather gods are friendly I’ll see you out there around Beano. At Critter on the 29th

Nice, I hooked a Mola Mola near there last year. Wrong kind of flatfish
try these spot you alway look for a nipple or some kind of drop off small nipple mean when tide change you can fish both size without moving anchor and fish will also move around hope that help you bud

Attachments

• nootka hali map.JPG
    nootka hali map.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 373
try these spot you alway look for a nipple or some kind of drop off small nipple mean when tide change you can fish both size without moving anchor and fish will also move around hope that help you bud
Where did you access this map from? I like the “sand / mud” extras on the map. Thx

For someone new to Hali fishing, I find this helpful. It helps me understand how you look at the map and identify structure. Can't wait to get out around the island and try different spots with this thinking in mind. Thanks for posting!

For someone new to Hali fishing, I find this helpful. It helps me understand how you look at the map and identify structure. Can't wait to get out around the island and try different spots with this thinking in mind. Thanks for posting!
Been anchoring for halibut out of Esperanza for 15 yrs. one tip I have, others may not find this so, but I find outside the inlets on the west coast the tide always flows in the same direction west to east. regardless of flood/ebb. It will slow down obviously at the tide change, but pick back up at a different speed but always in the same direction. I keep this in the back of my mind when I’m dropping the pick. I want to be close or on top of structure but always have better luck on the downwind end, or east end. My theory is the flatties don’t like laying in the structure but come up to feed on it or close by. If you’re on the west end the fish to the west can’t catch the scent, and the fish to the east have to travel further to find you. There are always exceptions, but this works for me. I used to run a chum bag, although effective a pita and causes other problems. For years I just been running 4 rods as much as possible, keep two set ups similar weights and baits so they hang similar. The other two I usually stagger with lighter weights and bigger baits so they are dragging behind the boat further reducing the chance of tangling. I still get tangled often with 4 out, but it puts fish in the box so I deal with it. And there’s nothing worse than running two rods, fish finally move in after an hr waiting and you are playing two fish with no gear left in the water, gotta keep them in the gear ime. At least 3 rods soaking and one on deck ready to toss out the instant it’s needed.
Of course this only works with the predominant westerly swell and wind, when that swings and comes from the south/east it changes everything, sitting sideways with gear running under the boat sucks, tangle city sometimes two rods is better with a couple baited ready to toss out. As far as depths, although I catch a lot of halibut trolling closer to the surfline I’ve always found better numbers closer to the 50fathom edge. 210ft minimum, and generally 270-300 are my honey holes.
I always run salmon bellies or herring. Pilchards and mackerel were good when they were around but I refuse to pay for them.
Good luck

But if you do just want chickens, troll the sand/gravel not far off the surfline 120-150ft of water. Slow the troll down a bit, I just run flasher/hootchies with clip 5 feet above ball and drag the dirt fairly hard. If you hit a couple can always turn around and try drifting through there with a spreader bar/herring etc. I did this for my first ten years on the coast always got my chickens but rarely anything over 30#.

Back