2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Pretty sure that’s what mine is. I’ll snap a picture when I get home. I moved to a smaller wheel as it was in the way of my sounderscreen. It’s a rubber coated 5 spoke I believe.

So... a few photos.

The Flag Pole Mount , (the flag is temporally attached to the pole for fitting)

The flag pole comes out for fishing and for the times between sunset and 8:00 am, etc. etc.

1641263489944.jpeg

1641263537838.jpeg

1641263571562.jpeg

Note: Temporary Stern Door still in place.

Upholstery Install Begins.

At the same time that we ordered the ShockWave seats we ordered additional upholstery material so that all the upholstered pieces would match. (V-berth, rear seat, the two inside bench seats and backrests, and the solo exterior seat box).

All the seat cushions snap on and off.

Today the backrest on what Robert refers to as "The Admiral's Seat," was installed.

Note, the Bait Prep Board has stern side drains, and the seat and back cushion will snap on and off.

1641264408739.jpeg

1641698829484.png

1641698858993.png

Last edited:
A quick weekend update, but I'm not Colin Jost , or Michael Che.

No photos this week but messy cluttered progress.

The V berth surround has been Rat-furred, I learned that there are two available colours of rat fur. Robert chose the colour and it was the right choice

Upholstery is all done and Robert has installed cushion snaps on aluminum boxes, etc. so that cushions can be removed.

The cabin floor, cockpit deck, side decks, and foredeck have been painted with what I refer to as the "black, grainy non slip sort of but not really sticky stuff."

Robert called me and asked me which way I wanted the cabin hatch to open. I nearly said up but went with the opens up from the rear. His response "correct."

At present they are pulling all the wire for the electronics and installing them. Next week Gavin from SeaComm will be by for the hook up.

All of us are starring in the Marine version of the situation comedy made famous by Samuel Beckett , "Waiting for Window ." Both Robert and I hope that the windows arrive in the correct size for the openings. (Robert sends templates to the manufacturer with the order which was in July)

The elusive Transport Canada Registration plaque is somewhere in Fedex land.

Robert now has 3 builds in line behind us.

As i said to my wife," If a boat build has to be delayed, it is best to be delayed when things are snowy and blowy",

These delays are a far great pain in the butt for the builder than the customer at this time of year.

I added a barometer and clock to the boat's instruments. Dials work for me.

Last edited:
A quick weekend update, I'm not Colin Jost , or Michael Che.

No photos this week but messy cluttered progress.

V berth surround has been Rat-furred, I learned that there are two available colours of rat fur. Robert chose the colour and it was the right choice

Upholstery is all done and Robert has installed cushion snaps on aluminum boxes, etc. so cushions can be removed.

The cabin floor, cockpit deck, side decks, and foredeck have ben painted with what I refer to as the "black, grainy non slip sort of but not really sticky stuff."

Robert called me and asked me which way I wanted the cabin hatch to open. I nearly said up but went with the opens up from the rear. His response "correct."

At present they are pulling all the wire for the electronics and installing them. Next week Gavin from SeaComm will be by for the hook up.

All of us are starring in the Marine version of the situation comedy made famous by Samuel Beckett , "Waiting for Window ." Both Robert and I hope that the windows arrive in the correct size for the openings. (Robert sends templates to the manufacturer with the order which was in July)

The elusive Transport Canada Registration plaque is somewhere in Fedex land.

Robert now has 3 builds in line behind us.

As i said to my wife," If a boat build has to be delayed, it is best to be delayed when things are snowy and blowy",

These delays are a far great pain in the butt for the builder than the customer at this time of year.

I added a barometer and clock to the boat's instruments. Dials work for me.
Keeping a weather eye on your barometer helps immensely with weather prediction.
I agree with you, most phones can do pressure, but dials make a ship right.
Looking forward to seeing her floating on her lines.

So.... the windows remain in transit much to Robert's and my chagrin.

However, there is good news (as there is every day one remains vertical) the coveted brand spanking new Aluminum plate has arrived and is now in position as the rear cockpit door.

As you will all note we now have matching sheen between hull and cockpit door.

1642199007857.jpeg

So.... the windows remain in transit much to Robert's and my chagrin.

However, there is good news (as there is every day one remains vertical) the coveted brand spanking new Aluminum plate has arrived and is now in position as the rear cockpit door.

As you will all note we now have matching sheen between hull and cockpit door.

View attachment 73834
Robert has the grain going the wrong way.

Robert has the grain going the wrong way.

That is to be expected. Different batches, different mills, different thickness, the colours will never match

A few years in the salt and it the colours will all be melded together and look like aluminum boat grey.

Just getting a new piece of 3/8" aluminum from a supplier, any supplier, for the cockpit door was a big deal.

I was expecting a larger colour variation than we got. We now have a far better looking door with a similar sheen and the door and the hull will age out and meld together, or they won't.

You can all ruminate on the article below, while I figure out where to put the door knocker/door bell

The article below was interesting

Directional and color shade variation with Anodized Aluminum​

Aug 2, 2021 | Blog

By Steven Soderberg, Lorin Industries, Inc.

Aluminum is a natural material and one of the most abundant minerals found throughout the earth’s crust. Being a natural material, there are many steps or processes to go through to take it from its natural form to that of an anodized grade of aluminum. The last steps in the process of producing aluminum coils that can later be anodized, involve the casting, heat treating and rolling of the metal into its final form.
Like many other natural decorative materials such as wood, copper and other metals, the beauty of the material comes from the natural individuality of the material. While the control of this natural variability is limited based on the alloying chemistry used to create the aluminum, there are steps which can be done to reduce variability when one is looking for more consistency in the product.
Like other products, paint, fabrics, leather etc., when you want a reduction of variability you want to use one lot of material, or consecutive lots of the material for a more consistent process and appearance. Some steps which can help assure a more consistent visual product are:
  • Order all of your material from the same lot or consecutive lots.
  • Since this product is rolled to the final thickness, each pass in the rolling process does have an effect on the appearance. The thinner the gauge the more times it goes through the rolling process. The rolling affects the surface by rolling/pressing the surface down further into the material sub-surface. Different gauges of the same alloy will have a different appearance as they will have gone through different processes.
  • The rolling also creates a directionality to the material that can create a difference in appearance when sheets are turned 90-180 degrees from each other.
  • Aluminum oxide is a crystalline structure that is translucent, not transparent. When anodizing you are building an anodic layer on the aluminum. This aluminum oxide layer, like a crystal, will reflect and refract light differently with thickness, giving it a slightly different appearance based on the anodic layer thickness. Design architects typically appreciate how this crystalline structure creates a 3-dimensional effect that helps the building come alive.
  • Variation in the anodized aluminum appearance can be better controlled by keeping this in mind. Same lot or consecutive lots is the first and most important step. So for consistency, definitely all material should come from the same casting house and rolling mill. After that consistent gauge, and anodic layer thickness are the next most important elements for consistent appearance.
  • The more variation you introduce into the processing of the material; the more variation you will introduce into the appearance.
  • Forming the anodized aluminum is an example of a process that can create variation because of how it can alter the anodic layer. This can change how it reflects and refracts light which can alter its visual characteristics. This could be made more apparent when combining differently formed panel types in close proximity.
In summary, aluminum is a natural material with surface characteristics and potential variations that are enhanced in the anodizing process. To avoid unwanted variation beyond what is natural, simply follow the steps listed above. Then, you can allow your creativity in using the material to create beautiful natural effects to make your project truly stand out.

If you run into any other snags for material, I work at a stainless and aluminum shop and could probably source something for you if need be.

Bill, my apologies, I was trying to be funny, I even added an emoji from my phone that did not transfer.

No need to apologize,... the power was out in our building at work and I was working on my laptop using my phone for Wi Fi. My OCD had already noticed the graining , and I thought I might as well put up an explanation on the colour variation.

I didn't see your emoji (obviously) and but figured you were joking, and then sitting at my desk in the afternoon darkness , I really got into looking at the new door. :eek::eek:.

Back