2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

why do you want a compass on a metal boat lol. just install a DGPS heading unit like the simrad HS60/HS75 and get 100% accurate compass readings on your chartplotter regardless of magnetic intereference.
Aluminum doesn't affect compasses..... Maybe some big speakers near the compass would though.

why do you want a compass on a metal boat lol. just install a DGPS heading unit like the simrad HS60/HS75 and get 100% accurate compass readings on your chartplotter regardless of magnetic intereference.

Pretty sure having a compass on board is a boating requirement, and if your off shore and your plotter fails, I would like to know which direction is home

www.tc.gc.ca/boatingsafety
Safety Tips and Requirements for Pleasure Craft.

A magnetic compass is not required if the boat is 8 m (26’3”) or less and you operate it within sight of navigation mark

Thanks for posting the regs.

Aluminiferous is 27' 11" and on occasion we will be out of sight of navigational markers so a compass is required by both the Regs and FCS.

I have been in the high alpine when clouds came in and a compass was mighty handy to get home. As Captain Party Marty says so eloquently
" if you are off shore and your plotter fails, I would like to know which direction is home, " and to quote Smokey Robinson, "I second that emotion."

Last edited:
Dec 24th was the end of a long road to get the CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRY for Aluminiferous. We started dealing with Transport Canada in June.

The process to get your boat registered is overly complex and could be much faster if the Government had better examples. Either the staff were great to deal with, or they were nice enough folks who were as confounded by the process as we were.
I will put something together over the Holidays on how this process could have been faster and easier.

Dec 24th was the end of a long road to get the CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRY for Aluminiferous. We started dealing with Transport Canada in June.

The process to get your boat registered is overly complex and could be much faster if the Government had better examples. Either the staff were great to deal with, or they were nice enough folks who were as confounded by the process as we were.
I will put something together over the Holidays on how this process could have been faster and easier.
Thank you for holdIng TC to account. Our acceptance of poor governance is a real failure in Canada. Send your feedback to the minister if you can!

A pleasure craft license couldn't be much easier to get than it is now,all done online. Registry is a different thing and I thought it was only for larger vessels or commercial use.Why do's your boat need to be registered?

A pleasure craft license couldn't be much easier to get than it is now,all done online. Registry is a different thing and I thought it was only for larger vessels or commercial use.Why do's your boat need to be registered?

It is optional to do this .
Best proof of ownership, needed to go to Seattle or Alaska. We now have a legal title to our boat.
Your Boat name becomes unique and registered to your vessel.
Our AIS can have our name showing,
Cost is $250 and a learning experience.
My wife and I jointly own the vessel easier estate admin to transfer ownership and no probate fees

It is optional to do this .
Best proof of ownership, needed to go to Seattle or Alaska. We now have a legal title to our boat.
Your Boat name becomes unique and registered to your vessel.
Our AIS can have our name showing,
Cost is $250 and a learning experience.
My wife and I jointly own the vessel easier estate admin to transfer ownership and no probate fees
Do you have a link to the info for a Canada Registration requirement for USA travels?

Historically the only requirement for the Registration was if you wanted to take a loan out against your vessel - in that case the lender requires it to properly put a lien on the asset.

The only other benefit is you don't need BC #s on the side of the vessel.

My BC registered boats over the years have been to USA and back without any hassles with BC registration #s. Must be a new requirement - one of mine is headed down next week so I'd like to know for sure as it only is BC reg'd.

Do you have a link to the info for a Canada Registration requirement for USA travels?

Historically the only requirement for the Registration was if you wanted to take a loan out against your vessel - in that case the lender requires it to properly put a lien on the asset.

The only other benefit is you don't need BC #s on the side of the vessel.

My BC registered boats over the years have been to USA and back without any hassles with BC registration #s. Must be a new requirement - one of mine is headed down next week so I'd like to know for sure as it only is BC reg'd.

In the end this is an internet forum and everyone is best advised to do their own research

You will like the answer that I received from the US when I called in the summer "It Depends"

We have Nexus and the value of that is something I never want to risk, and I figured having title to the boat was worth $250 CDN.

We have crossed lots of borders all over the world (and been stripped searched at the US border because I lacked a letter from a Radiologist) and never found that having more than the basic documentation required was a problem.

We decided to err on the side of caution and register the boat

Answer a few questions about your vessel, and we’ll let you know if you need to license or register it.
Does your vessel need any of the following?
  • A marine mortgage to be registered with Transport Canada Bill 310 (No)
  • A registered unique name Bill 310 (yes)
  • To travel abroad and be recognized internationally as a registered vessel. Bill 310 (who knows it depends. It took me months to get the boat registered. I wasn't able to get a straight answer and I didn't want to get to the Canada/Alaska border and get turned around.

Register your vessel in the Canadian Register of Vessels

Now I realize that every 10 years my renewal fee will be $250 rather than $10 but if I am still alive and boating in 20years I will be glad to pay the second installment.

See below cut from https://boating.ncf.ca/license.html

This is likely somewhat outdated information , however it gives additional food for thought

Licence v.s. Registration​

Information may become outdated. Get current information from government departments.

Licensing is an identification system for boats. A boat licence does not provide clear title or ownership of a boat. If was pointed out to me by Patick Julien (below) that if a licensed boat is stolen, it is difficult to trace it or to prove ownership. It was hoped the new federal licensing system could be used to prove ownership but it is administered by each province and territory and is designed more for and collecting sales tax and search & rescue operations.

Registration is a procedure for documentation of ownership or title in Canada with a "name" and "port of registration". Licensing is a procedure which identifies a vessel with a letter-number combination after having paid sales tax in a province or territory, and does not necessarily imply ownership or title. There's no easy way to check the ownership trail, liens on the boat, or if it's stolen.

If you plan to cruise to other countries, or just want to secure your ownership, registration may be a good option. Of course, it costs more as it involves legal procedures and measurements from Transport Canada.

Registration is supposed to provide title, but problems can happen - I heard from a boater who had a legal battle getting ownership on a newly built boat when the builder went bankrupt before he had taken possession of it, even though it was already "registered".

Patrick Julien (from Caelis International, one of Canada's major Coast Guard and Transport Canada approved marine documentation consultancies), sent me some interesting comments about licences and registration. Here is what he said:

Licensing is not really the norm for expensive vessels, as owners usually wish to obtain clear title and proof of ownership that comes with registration. A licence is simply a piece of paper which allows you to go on the water; it has absolutely nothing to do with proof of ownership. We recently dealt with the transfer of property of a vessel which had four current and potentially valid licences issued on it. You do not need to prove you own the boat to get a licence -- and boat thefts are rumoured to be in the area of 15% of inventory in Canada. And what of banks and finance companies chasing their security.

A standard 36 foot and up cruiser with good interior living accomodations normally meets this minimum measure. Many people think of this measurement as weight, which is practically impossible for pleasure boats. Very few of us have boats in this weight range (well, perhaps Bill Teron...).

There are some advantages to actually registering a boat, not the least of which are clear title, and sequence of title, and option to borrow against the value of the boat as security (marine mortgage). Most foreign ports will insist on vessel registration to ensure confirmation of ownership and nationality of captain and vessel.

Patrick Julien (pjulien@caelis.ca), Caelis International

Good idea to err on the side of caution - all good points you make. Now back to your build :)

The build thread has been taken over by Samuel Beckett for the time being.

Sam suggested I change the thread name to "Waiting for Window."

Tip the Wait Staff , I will be here all month.

Well first post of the New Year who knew building boat in a pandemic would take longer than expected, :eek:

Robert et.al, will be back on the job Monday.

What's on the Build Agenda for January, 2022.

1. The Rat Fur has arrived and the installation starts Monday.

2. Robert has now seen the cushions and they are, and I quote, "smashing."

3. Electronics are being installed .

4. The side deck, foredeck, rear pod platform, and cabin floor non slip paint paint will be applied.

5. Canadian Vessel Registry Plate to be installed as per regs. https://www.comforthouse.com/canadian-vessel-registry-plate.html

5. Misc, stuff to be installed, including Saddle Man , or Footman loops on rear seat boxes. 4 per box.. This way we can strapdown soft bags

1641168288566.png

on the rear seat boxes and not have it flailing around.

6. Mount Scotty Bases

7. Install AED in visible place in cabin

8. Install Barometer, Clock and Thermometer (if they fit in allotted space)

9. Build and install new stern door.

10. Receive and install cabin windows, cut and fit rear door window .

11. Wrap Cabin door.

12. Hope that the Steering Wheel arrives (seriously)

13. Install cabin and exterior lights, and cabin fans.

14. Things I have forgotten

I’m assuming you’ve got some fancy steering wheel picked out? I’ve got one that I pulled off my thunderjet if you need one for sea trails if yours doesn’t show up. I could ship it to you if you’re in a pinch.

I’m assuming you’ve got some fancy steering wheel picked out? I’ve got one that I pulled off my thunderjet if you need one for sea trails if yours doesn’t show up. I could ship it to you if you’re in a pinch.

Thanks that is very kind of you to offer. I am holding your Wheel as Plan B

We haven't chosen anything fancy, just a Destroyer Wheel, hopefully with the rubber coating on the rim s0 it won't be cold in the winter. It looks like I will be wearing gloves as the rubber coated rims are out of stock.

The good side of that is that a spinner knobs will be easy to attach

We bought the tilt mount to address the ergonomic differences between my wife and I

Back