2021 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

I haven't jigged, but last year had moderate success with hip waders and a salmon net, and then a homemade rake. The rake worked best for the bigger ones. Oh, and that was from Pt. Holmes - where the whole fleet of gillneters currently are.

Anyone had luck jigging for herring from shore?
Lots of spawn at point Holmes in close. I jigged half bucket from river boat. Look for the 2 yellow buoys in close and cast out to the buoys. Watch out for the sea lion they are aggressive had a few bump my boat from underneath.

Got out to Kitty to try and slide one in before the door slams closed - unfortunately forgot the patented "fish stretcher" as I had several in the 55-60cm range, just couldn't find one a couple cms bigger.
Nice day on the water anyways. Was at least a dozen other boats out there.

I just moved to comox... took a job at the comox valley marina as the dock manager. Would love to meet some local fish nutz. Please stop and say hi. I need to learn the local tacks for trolling. Neale
Hi Neale
I'm not your guy but Lane, near the head of B dock, welded aluminum docked beside our boat, Juliery Too, can help. Very nice guy.

Hey Everyone,

Family and I are bringing the boat up to hornby for the first time this year and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for prawns and/or ling around hornby? We are from Victoria and usually just prawn the saanich Inlet so I was planning on putting some weight in the traps but was also wondering about potential areas to try and depths?

Cheers,

Hey Everyone,

Family and I are bringing the boat up to hornby for the first time this year and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for prawns and/or ling around hornby? We are from Victoria and usually just prawn the saanich Inlet so I was planning on putting some weight in the traps but was also wondering about potential areas to try and depths?

Cheers,
Try off the bottom of the Flora Is reef. But make sure you weight your traps well as there can be a nasty current .. Lings-- ? Look for dropoffs in the 35 to 100 ft range.

They prawn deeper up here around 350 feet not 225 feet like saanich there are no squat lopsters here.

They prawn deeper up here around 350 feet not 225 feet like saanich there are no squat lopsters here.
Good to know! Are prawn ever caught in the 225-275 range in the area? I just have 2 400ft lines and it probably won’t be worth it to upgrade for a couple days of prawning

Got out for the first day of Chinook retention and was rewarded with a keeper within ten minutes. Fished near Kitty Coleman.
fished east of the can at Lazo, lots of little coho and springs no keepers. How deep and what were you using at Kitty? Likely headed the monday.

Went out Sunday afternoon from comox, trolled south at the 250ft contour line along the east side of denman island, not one bite

Back