2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be launching out of captains cove tomorrow and would be great if we could hook up with someone along the way for a 15lb finned rigger ball.
The flood tide isn't till the afternoon as well as calmer winds so we may run in to pnt and some lunch...
We should be at Sandheads by 630 am . If you still need a ball send me a text . 778-846-3325
Randy -Bent Gaff

Fished North Arm 330-730. 1 for 3. 14lb white. Pretty slow until about 630pm (nearing high slack), then the bite seemed to come on, saw a few double headers, also lots of guys with nothing to show for their efforts.

Talked to the boys at pacific angler today...they said fishing N Arm on their short charters and struggling for a bite, Sandheads is where it’s at.

Fished Sandhead 12:30 to 4:30. Was non stop action as soon as I dropped the gear. Down 60 feet using anchovy in black/chrome teaser head. Lost 3 or 4 good fish but got my limit. Got to work on my netting technique when fishing solo. I would say that is about as good fishing as I have had all over the west coast. Pretty amazing 30 minutes from my marina. Had to be 100 plus boats out there.
Watched that tug and barge go right through the middle of the fleet Around 4pm. Man those Tug guys know how to control those things. There were guys fishing off another tug and barge and saw them net something off the back.

Oh ran out of new anchovy and found a year old pack in the freezer. They were freezer burnt and mushy. Could,not get them to harden up. Still got 3 hits on those. When their hungry their hungry....

Showed up at Sandheads around 1:30 today. Got the lines in the water in about 500ft of water. Fished all the way to 80ft adjusting depths with nothing to show for it. Left the pack and wandered north a little. When we were back out in 250ft of water we had a double header of absolute freight trains. Longest, fastest runs I've ever had salmon take. We thought we'd been sealed at one point so we motored in that general direction and recovered lots of slack. One fish was screaming around on the surface and the other had dove deep. After probably 10 minutes we had a 26lb in the boat with the other still a long ways out. Every inch we got it would take two. A few mintues after we netted the first fish another boat trolled up to us asking how deep and we obliged 57 and 42. We asked them to give us space as we still had the one fish with a ton of line out. They failed to change course and ran over top of us and cut us off with their down rigger... It was a one sided exchange of words except they said we were "over reacting". No idea how big the fish was, never saw it. I'm sure it's the biggest my boats ever hooked. **** happens, but we were the only boat where we were when we hooked up and they had no business being on top of us. Still a great evening. We ended the evening with a 15, 16, 20, and 26. All on anchovy. 1 at 57, 3 at 42.

Anyone want to go fishing lol. Buddy woke up with a sore throat so we bailed on this trip. Boats loaded and ready to rock.
Good luck out there today boys and girls

Showed up at Sandheads around 1:30 today. Got the lines in the water in about 500ft of water. Fished all the way to 80ft adjusting depths with nothing to show for it. Left the pack and wandered north a little. When we were back out in 250ft of water we had a double header of absolute freight trains. Longest, fastest runs I've ever had salmon take. We thought we'd been sealed at one point so we motored in that general direction and recovered lots of slack. One fish was screaming around on the surface and the other had dove deep. After probably 10 minutes we had a 26lb in the boat with the other still a long ways out. Every inch we got it would take two. A few mintues after we netted the first fish another boat trolled up to us asking how deep and we obliged 57 and 42. We asked them to give us space as we still had the one fish with a ton of line out. They failed to change course and ran over top of us and cut us off with their down rigger... It was a one sided exchange of words except they said we were "over reacting". No idea how big the fish was, never saw it. I'm sure it's the biggest my boats ever hooked. **** happens, but we were the only boat where we were when we hooked up and they had no business being on top of us. Still a great evening. We ended the evening with a 15, 16, 20, and 26. All on anchovy. 1 at 57, 3 at 42.

Thats total bull youde think they would pull their gear and give you a shot. You were too nice to them. Crab traps in the trolling area is almost as bad. Let them learn when someone really tangles in those especially the multiple blue container traps near t10.

That “other boat” was us. First off I’m sorry you lost the second fish. We saw you land a fish and that’s why we asked depth. We appreciated the intel. We had no idea you had another fish on otherwise we wouldn’t have approached.

Our version of events thereafter is a little different. When we saw you had another fish on we immediately veered course in a different direction from you and went a long ways around to give space. When we heard all the foul language quite a bit later we looked to see what the commotion was about. It was as you say a “one sided exchange” because we intently watch our lines and didn’t see anything hit our lines or downriggers. When we were accused of crossing your line we pulled our gear up to check and nothing was tangled or wrapped on our gear. If we had anything to do with you losing your fish I sincerely apologize.
Did you get your gear back? Are you sure your second fish didn’t get sealed? We saw a seal swim by with a nice fish in his mouth.

Anyone been turned away from the #2 road launch due to not enough parking?
Getting worse and worse, not only the parking problem (due to old broken down boats that shouldn't be allowed in there) , its an absolute gong show pulling out with only one ramp and boats wanting in and out. Almost to a point that Mcdonald Beach Ramp is looking better and better

agreed but i can’t look away!
Lol, me too, use to fish that area 20 years ago, was the same deal, lots of boats lots of seals and a complete gong show, but it was fun, fishing out of Renfrew is not way better as far as gong show goes now a days lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back