2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished the afternoon low slack at Entrance today.
So many little shakers!

No keeper chinooks but 4 small 5-6 lb hatchery cohos around 90-100 ft on 6 in watermelon coyote and green pack herring
Congrats. Thought I was the only person fishing watermelons. I've been using 4" and getting most of my springs on them this year, but only 1 coho all season. Maybe the 6' leaders.

Congrats. Thought I was the only person fishing watermelons. I've been using 4" and getting most of my springs on them this year, but only 1 coho all season. Maybe the 6' leaders.
Back in Tofino we called it the “ lure of desperation”, lol

I Kept going larger in my presentation trying to keep the shakers off

Reactions: RBL

I fished them 1st in Bamfield after a recommendation, then tried them here. Honestly I'm unconvinced colour makes a heck of a lot of difference. Action 1st, Size 2nd, and colour 3rd or not at all. I've got spoons that out of the box are 'identical', but some outfish others 2 or 3 to 1. On the topic of size, did the 6" keep the shakers off?

Lol that’s funny. My buddies and I have one too but it’s the Party Girl.

I fished them 1st in Bamfield after a recommendation, then tried them here. Honestly I'm unconvinced colour makes a heck of a lot of difference. Action 1st, Size 2nd, and colour 3rd or not at all. I've got spoons that out of the box are 'identical', but some outfish others 2 or 3 to 1. On the topic of size, did the 6" keep the shakers off?
As far as some out fishing The same lures I have found it even more prevalent with plugs.

The watermelon one , yes It did slow them down but I was still getting them on the 7 inch Tomic 602 which blew me away. Must have been the glow finish that attracted them

I cought all my Salmon this year on a silver horde 3" Herring Aide spoon, I tried Hoochies and othe spoons
on the other rod but everyone hit the Herring Aid.

Might as well discuss tackle on here because not much to report fish wise, 15 boats and 1 fish brought in according to creel surveyor today, if we taped all our smalls together we could have had a keeper :eek:

Might as well discuss tackle on here because not much to report fish wise, 15 boats and 1 fish brought in according to creel surveyor today, if we taped all our smalls together we could have had a keeper :eek:
Where did you go today? Me and my dad went out to entrance at 11 today and had to turn back as he was feeling a little sea sick. Pretty decent chop this am.

Yeah, it's almost insult to injury that the loosen the regs about the same time all the fish swim away. I did OK early in the week at Entrance, but if this year is like last for me Labor Day is pretty much it.

Fished yesterday from 3:30 - 8:00 pm. Started at entrance and hooked a bunch of shakers and a couple 50 ish cm chinook before we decided to move over to the fingers. Couple more shakers before we hit a 65 cm Chrome red on the sand flats.

Pretty slow night but the weather and sunset were both great. Just about time to dust off the prawn and crab traps I guess!

It's probably a no but thought I would ask. Does Nanaimo have a decent coho fishery out front. Never fished it late Sept and Ocrober etc...?

Went out this evening for a couple hours before dark. Brechin launch was dead. Fished Pipers to Neck Point to the Fingers. Pretty slow. Few shakers and one undersized. Tried all depths from 80-160’. Spoons and hootchie. Bait around Neck Point but no fish.
Beautiful evening though. Wind died down completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back