2019 Albacore fishing

Lindsay Greene

Crew Member
Looking into doing some albacore trips this year. I've fished yellow fin and bluefin tuna, but never albacore. I'm all geared up and just waiting for the season . Many guys on here going to be fishing them this year? Would be great to do some off season planning and have some other boats to go out with when the time comes.

After 2 outings with zero tuna to show for it (including a very expensive charter out of Westport) I'm gearing up to do some tuna fishing this summer on my own boat. Me and boat are based in Sidney but I intend to go wherever the tuna are...when the time is right.

After 2 outings with zero tuna to show for it (including a very expensive charter out of Westport) I'm gearing up to do some tuna fishing this summer on my own boat. Me and boat are based in Sidney but I intend to go wherever the tuna are...when the time is right.
Nice. My boats in comox. But the trailer is there too. I would haul it to Port Alice if I was headed north. Or Alberni if I was head central or south.

It’s the most hit and miss fishery there is around here but when you hit it....

... you take on a new addiction. This addiction can assist you with making pour choices.
Looking into doing some albacore trips this year. I've fished yellow fin and bluefin tuna, but never albacore. I'm all geared up and just waiting for the season . Many guys on here going to be fishing them this year? Would be great to do some off season planning and have some other boats to go out with when the time comes.

Its an advantage if you are mobile(boat on wheels) for you can chase the water. I have been doing this fishing out of tofino for quite a few years and I often find myself wishing I was fishing out of bamtown or anther time off the north island. Some times good water is just out of reach, for me anyways but I set pretty strict limits for myself so I am able to self rescue in most breakdown situations.

Sadly the last three years overall have been the worse I have ever seen. Its a combination of weather and fish just not being there.

Sadly the last three years overall have been the worse I have ever seen. Its a combination of weather and fish just not being there.
So true. I have hardly gone the last few years because the conditions haven’t been right.
Doesn’t seem prudent when you can still remember the big load up days when you had filled your capacity of tuna and are heading back to the dock before lunch

Ryanb - you got skunked in Westport ! jesus that 's depressing !! was thinking about going down with some buddies because i heard it was fairly consistent

Ryanb - you got skunked in Westport ! jesus that 's depressing !! was thinking about going down with some buddies because i heard it was fairly consistent
It usually is the most consistent area, the worst we did there was 70 to the boat

+1 on Westport!! After reading about this fishery for many years we went there this summer. It was not disappointing at all. In fact, I am now a Albacore Addict!! Already have trip booked for next summer.

Ok, I have the Yank flag I know, but my heart is more often in the CA waters. ...and we are only 17 nm from the border.

I have done four Westport runs with our 22 Skagit Orca for Albacore. Each trip has produced fish, btw 7 and 12 each time....plenty for our needs. We have been out of country most of each summer but try to get home to fish late summer in the PNW. All that said...

This last summer albacore fishing was dismal...and I did not trailer the boat from Anacortes to Westport as the Reports were that the fish’s were few, small and far off-shore. Previously the years have required paying close attention.

Here to help as Summer roles around. Until then lots of issues and truncated seasons to address

Best,
Doug

Back