2017 Tuna Adventures

Did some more homework and that blue water is still far out. Best chloro shot is in Wa. off Long Beach. Doesn't look too far. The SW wind we have been having should help your cause. Or just come down to Washington. One of the best bait stops we ever had was in greenwater. You could see the break. The fish were hogs too. Like the bait was trapped against a wall. Threshers would be a fun catch. Had a thresher chase a maurauder once. Slapping it's tail loudly as it tried to intercept the lure. August fellas.

I would like to add that the best hottest insane Tuna fishing I ever had here was in the first week of July about 6 years ago.

This day started the day before when I could not get out and my buddy could and I saw this bay on terafin that looked great and I told my friend and told him to go there. At the time he was not a big believer in the "shots" (years ago) so he did his usual routine in the ammo dump but he ended up in this spot in his last hour of fishing and just started getting them but had to leave. The weather was holding for another day and I had my boat so I went straight to it the next morning very early.
We arrive in the area and everything looked good. I was letting out the first hand line, the first line to go out and half way back WHAM!!! fish on. We fished for 2 hours and then we had to stop. IT was hard to get all the gear out due to the hot action. We left for home at 10 am. The added bonus to this was the average size. It certainly was the best average size I ever saw for the intensity of the bite. Ill never forget what that shot looked like and I will aways look for that in the future.

Keyword to this story: ONCE

The numbers for me in the top of july have always been low however the size average is always very good!

Last edited:
Largest pelagic fish usually are found at the extreme of their range.
If there are 10, there are more...

Anyone heading out on Saturday? Weather is looking good and I've got a new crew that is eager to give it a shot.

heading over to Tofino Friday. Winds look light on Saturday...

Good luck to anyone that heads out. Looks good. Things are really shaping up.
Work trip this weekend. Looking forward to reading any reports.

Last edited:
We r on way over anyone plan to go out of Tofino Saturday or Sunday?

We headed out from Renfrew @ 1600 Sat afternoon for Nitnat canyon, fished tuna until dark, stayed on station Sat night. Did some deep dropping with swordfish rigs and catch and release on blue Sharks. On the tuna troll at first light, Nitnat canyon, Barkley canyon and up to 30 miles south. Now the bad news, not a single tuna bite, we had great water fished temps from 59-65 degrees chloro from dirty green to crystal clear blue. The biomass was just not there, farther west maybe,but Nitnat and Barkley forget it!!!!

Commercial fleet working on some fish about 40 south of the border as of yesterday. Still no body to speak of in our waters yet...

We headed out from Renfrew @ 1600 Sat afternoon for Nitnat canyon, fished tuna until dark, stayed on station Sat night. Did some deep dropping with swordfish rigs and catch and release on blue Sharks. On the tuna troll at first light, Nitnat canyon, Barkley canyon and up to 30 miles south. Now the bad news, not a single tuna bite, we had great water fished temps from 59-65 degrees chloro from dirty green to crystal clear blue. The biomass was just not there, farther west maybe,but Nitnat and Barkley forget it!!!!
Hey Brick good to see you away from Camper for a day or two you reef hog :D

Water in JDF strait near the shipping lanes way off Sheringham was 64 degrees F last week. Not gin blue but significantly clearer than near shore water. Anyone get a terrafin shot of that? I'm curious if it was just a localized warming event because of how calm it was or if there was actually some warm water that blew in from way out (or the transducer wasn't reading correctly) . There was a school of 2-3cm fry, brown in colour, swimming around the boat but I couldn't nab any for a better ID. No tuna birds or finning tuna but a guy can hope:).

Also, how light do guys go with leader on their clones? I've read between 50-150lb, but I'm leaning towards the lighter end of things.

Water in JDF strait near the shipping lanes way off Sheringham was 64 degrees F last week. Not gin blue but significantly clearer than near shore water. Anyone get a terrafin shot of that? I'm curious if it was just a localized warming event because of how calm it was or if there was actually some warm water that blew in from way out (or the transducer wasn't reading correctly) . There was a school of 2-3cm fry, brown in colour, swimming around the boat but I couldn't nab any for a better ID. No tuna birds or finning tuna but a guy can hope:).

Also, how light do guys go with leader on their clones? I've read between 50-150lb, but I'm leaning towards the lighter end of things.
I use 200 lb test line

Back