2017 Tuna Adventures

Thanks Sculpin. That's close to what I figured. My boat only has a 70 gal tank so would have to mess around transferring fuel... Less than ideal if the seas are less than calm.

Thanks Sculpin. That's close to what I figured. My boat only has a 70 gal tank so would have to mess around transferring fuel... Less than ideal if the seas are less than calm.
You could look into a on deck fuel bladder. It seems like guys will size them so that the bladder will be empty when you arrive at the fishing area. Roll it up when it's empty and run the rest of the day on your tank. I realize that the distance of the run is tough to know for sure but it seems like you can bet on a 30-40 mile run at least. I should add that I've never used one so do some research. Packing a bag of gasoline kind of seems crazy the more I think about it. But guys do it.

Last edited:
Starting to look interesting again at the Barkley Canyon. Good temp and Buoyweather looks decent. Just waiting for some updated chloro shots.

We will decide on Friday if we are going prospecting :).

Charlie Cat, we will be Offshore weather permitting starting tomorrow for a few days.
I sent you a text, we'll keep in touch.
Sculpin, we will pop down for a drink with you over the weekend.
Good luck out there and be safe.

Ive been passing trips up this week. 60 miles min run to the good water. 60 turns into 65 then 70 then 75. No thanks! trying to keep it around 50 mile max. Still watching the water tho. Lots of epic weather in the forecast which will help the water move in as well.

Looks like ukee and bam town are the out of locations on the coast for the next little while. Its not very often you get almost two weeks of calm weather. there is just no end in sight to it. Ill be starting out on the south side of loudoun.

Where is the "boarder" out there?

Looks like ukee and bam town are the out of locations on the coast for the next little while. Its not very often you get almost two weeks of calm weather. there is just no end in sight to it. Ill be starting out on the south side of loudoun.

Where is the "boarder" out there?

Half way through the Nitinat Canyon. It's on the charts.

Just about to leave work. Gotta gas and ice up the boat once we get up there and then try to get some sleep! We will be launching around 4:30 a.m.

I'll give you a ring after dinner.

Hey guys, like following this thread too it's exciting. Something about albacore tuna makes me want to catch them, I booked a trip last year for this summer in tahsis for salmon/Hali and a day chasing tuna. I'm booked for aug 4-7 and I followed last year and seems maybe too early for good tuna fishing. Just wondering what you all think if we're better using our time for salmon/bottom fish and plan a different trip later like sept or head further south for them? Love the pics and updates on here!

Prospecting trip report.

Well we found the water on Saturday and scratched an itch. We started on the NW outer edge of Barkley Canyon after seeing a school of bait fish jump out of the water. 5-6" long bright silver fish and around 100 of them jumping as a school. We had a good 2 degree spike over a short distance and the water was clear but not really blue. Not a lot of bird activity either. Saw one lonely albatross and a hand full of tuna birds all day. We trolled around that area and covered a few miles along the contours without a sniff. I decided to head west outside the canyon towards the egg to find even warmer and cleaner/blue water. There was lot's of kelp balls out there and we zigzagged through them for a while trolling right next to them.

While cruising by one patch real close to the boat I looked down and saw a fish and yelled tuna. It looked like a tuna at first but then I noticed it didn't have the long pectoral fins like an albacore and it had a yellow/green tinge to it's color. It was about 5 feet under water and I believe it could have been a yellowtail. Pretty cool. We should have stopped and tried casting some jigs. We trolled around that area for about another hour and then started to troll back in to the canyon. We didn't have time to go farther South to the Nitinat but wish we did as it is cool to try covering ground out there. After 5 hours of trolling with no action we decided to pull the pin.

On the way back in we took a detour and stopped at the rat to see how the salmon fishing was. The water flattened right out and it was a beautiful afternoon there. Dropped the lines and lost the first couple before my son hooked and landed a nice high teens fish on a 5" green/chrome live prism spoon with no flasher. Cut that one open and they were feeding on medium herring. Todd switched over to a 5" green/chrome spoon and it was game on. We lost one more but boxed our 6 springs and 1 chicken halibut in about an hour and a half! It was a nice way to end the day. All smiles on the way in. One thing was for sure............we had enough ice for those fish lol. Total fuel burn for the day was 61 US gallons (Merc monitor).

Side note: When we iced up, Rob from Neptune told us a couple of commercial boats had been in with very small catches. He figured in the next 10 days they should be showing up in numbers. I was told last night that there is a small fleet of commercial boats heading out. Hopefully the weather co-operates and fish show up in numbers soon.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited:
My buddy and I will be trying labour day long with our boats. We are hoping to break the tuna cherries for a us and some buddies. Love the info thanks Sculpin. Any idea where it would be the shortest run to them in Sept? We were thinking Winter harbour or Bamfield.

Thanks

I did a little prospecting yesterday out of Neah Bay. We ran out to US Blue Dot to fish for salmon. Salmon fishing was SLOW there and we spent most of the day shaking off rock fish that were at all depths. Eventually we got our salmon limit.

During that time (7AM - 4PM), I had trolled SSW and we found ourselves a few miles from the 1000' contour of the JDF canyon. So we ran out and trolled for about 90 minutes. Water was clear and temp was 62-63F. Saw some thresher sharks and reasonable numbers of birds. Had one strike that didn't stick. Could have been a coho. We only made it out to about the 2400' contour. No albacore caught nor seen. The water looked good but we didn't get a hookup. But we really didn't give it much time.

Back