2017 Tuna Adventures

And yet i tried to get you numbers off you and you said you were by the trollers. There were around 20 when you scanned the horizon so that didn't help much

Maybe Buy a ticket to the tuna derby instead of waiting for them to find fish and getting free bee Hot tips after they have spent $1000's finding them?

Maybe Buy a ticket to the tuna derby instead of waiting for them to find fish and getting free bee Hot tips after they have spent $1000's finding them?
Who are you and who asked for your 2 cents worth?

I've been out there tuna fishing since 2009 and have always been liberal with information and locations.

That's the code out there.

Why should I enter some derby 2 hours away from where I live and be forced to fish in a specific time frame?

I have a charter business to run which is my priority and go tuna fishing when I have spare time and the conditions are right.

@Sirene it was great meeting you at the dock yesterday. I wish I had longer to chat with you. I could tell right away you were a very nice guy from the bit of chat we did have. And thank you so much for offering to help with getting my boat off the dock in the strong wind when I was untying. Unfortunately my buddy was driving over to the campground boat launch with my truck/trailer to pull my boat out and catch the ferry. Yup I think I'll have a Tuna boner for a few days still lol. Ocean Viagara lol.

Very ****** about the motor but so great the guys at that shop helped you out so quickly!! Those are beauty fish you guys got and you guys sure earned them staying out getting back out there after you had issues etc..I'm with you in the not liking the idea of staying out overnight drifting around. We have commercial fishermen in our family and a good friend of mine is a commercial fisherman and some of the stories we have heard about a lot of mishaps out on the water at night, ie auto pilot and guys falling asleep and collisions with obstacles, other boats, equipment failures going un noticed, all kinds of things. If those things go sideways out there and a sporty is sitting there drifting and a large commercial ship comes by and runs in to them un noticed it would feel like a large stump to them and no one would have a clue what happened till it's too late. These are just possibilities things could go wrong so I know guys do it and haven't had issues but for me I just don't like the idea. Even if you have a watch guy up all night, then that guy is out the next day from being bagged so badly from not sleeping..anyways I'm with you on that one lol.

What a ****** experience with the airline!! Thanks for the heads up about their rules. Hope to see you out there again some time and have more time to chat and grab a beer some time. (Usually have a few on ice in the boat ;)).

Who are you and who asked for your 2 cents worth?

I've been out there tuna fishing since 2009 and have always been liberal with information and locations.

That's the code out there.

Why should I enter some derby 2 hours away from where I live and be forced to fish in a specific time frame?

I have a charter business to run which is my priority and go tuna fishing when I have spare time and the conditions are right.

You dont have to enter the derby, but dont be mad when guys are less then liberal with there info knowing that you were just sitting on shore waiting for them to get on them so you can take the easy route. Glad you skunked!

Huge thanks to Andrew Harper, Guy Martin and Mills Landing for putting the derby together. They did an awesome job and everyone had a blast. A big thanks to all of the sponsors as well, they really helped continue making it such a great event. I had to head back to work so was unable to attend the closing awards but i'm sure someone can cover prizes and winners.

The first few days of the derby were tough. Trophy Hunter did the leg work, finding fish on Thursday before the derby and again on the opening Sunday. While most said there were no fish in Canada, they found them 50-55 miles out, in between Louden and Barkley. Thats basically where the fleet fished the rest of the derby. By Friday, the commercial fleet had joined us and there were 15+ sporties and 6-7 commercial boats working the area.

It was great to get into the fishery again. It's been a while, as I missed out on last years event due to work. We were skunked on Monday, went 6 for 10 on Thursday and 22 for 27 on Friday. Bright colours, way back on the outriggers were our best piece of gear but everything in the spread was getting bit. Our average was 23-24 lbs with a bled out, on the scale, 31.5, 30.5 and 28.5 as big fish. The offshore life out there was also pretty incredible with multiple Blue Sharks landed, Orcas, 1000s of dolphins of various species, Humpbacks, Sunfish etc.

As always, this derby was created to promote the fishery and provide anglers with the opportunity to experience it in a safe and successful manner. Everyone was great in sharing info over the radio including numbers, hot techniques etc. Anyone who has been out there knows that shared intel is the key to success in this fishery as it's a big ocean out there and working together helps put fish in the boat. Derby and non derby boats all were able to successfully hone in on the schools and I tried to get some shots as I trolled past.

Attachments

• 127A9514.JPG
    127A9514.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 127A9530.JPG
    127A9530.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 127A9563.JPG
    127A9563.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 171
You dont have to enter the derby, but dont be mad when guys are less then liberal with there info knowing that you were just sitting on shore waiting for them to get on them so you can take the easy route. Glad you skunked!

Nice attitude!

Considering there are a number of us who have been doing this for a while and have always shared info with any of the boats coming out on the grounds at any time of the season; whether the derby or not. It is talk like this that has been getting a lot of us not to share info anymore with the up and comers of this fishery due to the attitude of some. There have been many boats out looking for these fish prior to the derby; was one of them you? Or were you just out there for the derby and feel you need to put your 2 cents in? Good thing Trophy Hunter went out to see if there were fish out there and do a little recon for the derby guys; or there would have been a lot of boats spread all over the place looking. this is not a fishery for people not to work together or pass along intel for others to enjoy. attitudes like this will turn this fishery into a fishery like every other one and no one will pass along info and then what are you going to do? I have done many a trip in search of these fish and been skunked looking, it ain't cheap but if people don't pass on info many others will be burning fuel and not finding fish; and this may just be you one day. Reassess your attitude!

Nice attitude!

Considering there are a number of us who have been doing this for a while and have always shared info with any of the boats coming out on the grounds at any time of the season; whether the derby or not. It is talk like this that has been getting a lot of us not to share info anymore with the up and comers of this fishery due to the attitude of some. There have been many boats out looking for these fish prior to the derby; was one of them you? Or were you just out there for the derby and feel you need to put your 2 cents in? Good thing Trophy Hunter went out to see if there were fish out there and do a little recon for the derby guys; or there would have been a lot of boats spread all over the place looking. this is not a fishery for people not to work together or pass along intel for others to enjoy. attitudes like this will turn this fishery into a fishery like every other one and no one will pass along info and then what are you going to do? I have done many a trip in search of these fish and been skunked looking, it ain't cheap but if people don't pass on info many others will be burning fuel and not finding fish; and this may just be you one day. Reassess your attitude!

Easy there. you have fished tuna for 2 years. im not saying dont share info. Obviously everyone should continue to share info, just findit amusing that some guys...who were in the derby before but chose not to this year, obviously cause of the poor fishing leading up to it, then come out full bore once the derby guys get on them, and then have the audacity to whine even though the guy gave him the numbers. Anyway, back to the thread.

I didn't get skunked, Mr Smart Guy! I was trying to keep the info flowing as the fish move around a lot out there. I don't care if boats are fishing a derby or not we are all better off to work together!

If it wasn't for us starting out in this fishery 8-9 years ago the information and techniques would be way behind.

BTW, does this look like a skunk?

Attachments

• albie dock shot.jpg
    albie dock shot.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 200
Way too much drama..........

Anyways, the weather is looking good for next weekend. Could change any day but I am watching it closely. Hoping to give it another whirl.
2 boats are sitting up there gassed up ready to go. Just have to grab ice :). Anyone else planning to head out on the weekend?

Easy there. you have fished tuna for 2 years. im not saying dont share info. Obviously everyone should continue to share info, just findit amusing that some guys...who were in the derby before but chose not to this year, obviously cause of the poor fishing leading up to it, then come out full bore once the derby guys get on them, and then have the audacity to whine even though the guy gave him the numbers. Anyway, back to the thread.
You're a real as****e to call out people that don't fish that derby every year. What's YOUR stake in the Shootout?

Oh you joined today just to stir the pot?

Last edited:
Action shots
Hey Kelly
did you take that shot of the Tuna underwater
Sweeeeeet
I know you have done an immense amount of work on these Tuna shootouts and are to be highly praised
I also want to provide a comment on a bit of attitude and frustration some people are starting to post that might help the Tuna comradarie
Unlike Salmon fishing where we get upset with boats that come in right behind us when we hook up because there may be limited amount of salmon, Tuna are different. They school in very large numbers but spend most of there time deep. They come to the surface to feed so the more action there is on the surface the better to hold the fish there. So when one boat hits them and others come over (and maybe toss more bait $) you have a better chance of all doing better. It is why commercial Tuna fishermen do not mind sporties and vice versa. That is cool don't you all think. Lets continue to stay as friends and not bash anyone :) Everyone works hard and nothing comes cheap in this game. A special shootout to this boats that at their own huge expense go out to "test the waters" for all of us.
Rob/SireneII

Last edited:
Way too much drama..........

Anyways, the weather is looking good for next weekend. Could change any day but I am watching it closely. Hoping to give it another whirl.
2 boats are sitting up there gassed up ready to go. Just have to grab ice :). Anyone else planning to head out on the weekend?
I hope Thomas can go with you

Little longer than you know!

@Sirene it was great meeting you at the dock yesterday. I wish I had longer to chat with you. I could tell right away you were a very nice guy from the bit of chat we did have. And thank you so much for offering to help with getting my boat off the dock in the strong wind when I was untying. Unfortunately my buddy was driving over to the campground boat launch with my truck/trailer to pull my boat out and catch the ferry. Yup I think I'll have a Tuna boner for a few days still lol. Ocean Viagara lol.

Very ****** about the motor but so great the guys at that shop helped you out so quickly!! Those are beauty fish you guys got and you guys sure earned them staying out getting back out there after you had issues etc..I'm with you in the not liking the idea of staying out overnight drifting around. We have commercial fishermen in our family and a good friend of mine is a commercial fisherman and some of the stories we have heard about a lot of mishaps out on the water at night, ie auto pilot and guys falling asleep and collisions with obstacles, other boats, equipment failures going un noticed, all kinds of things. If those things go sideways out there and a sporty is sitting there drifting and a large commercial ship comes by and runs in to them un noticed it would feel like a large stump to them and no one would have a clue what happened till it's too late. These are just possibilities things could go wrong so I know guys do it and haven't had issues but for me I just don't like the idea. Even if you have a watch guy up all night, then that guy is out the next day from being bagged so badly from not sleeping..anyways I'm with you on that one lol.

What a ****** experience with the airline!! Thanks for the heads up about their rules. Hope to see you out there again some time and have more time to chat and grab a beer some time. (Usually have a few on ice in the boat ;)).
It was great meeting you as well and I look forward to seeing you again. I think we have coined a new term "the Tuna Boner" haha
Now my hair is really standing up after your information about offshore overnight hazards. I also installed AIS this year for that specific reason. It is very cool and smart to know where all the boats are and where they are going. Highly recommended. I was also checking all of my bilges through the night and had bright LED lights installed which I left on through the night. The think that was most unnerving was the unpredictable roller that might come in. I also had full survival neoprene gumby suits on deck an inflatable life raft as well as lashings with clips to keep me tied to the boat when I went on deck among other things. And oh yes I was tired and still am

Just took my Tuna to St Jeans and at first they would not take them because they were not flash frozen and or gutted. After some discussion we found that if the Tuna were caught greater that 24 or 48 hours but less than tree days in slush they would take them and they did. They are concerned about histamine levels. Normally I process them myself and this is the first time I took them to St. Jeanes. I also told them that spiking them was important to reduce histamine and that they were bled at sea. Some information that might prove helpful for some like me that do not have the time to process them. Got to go to work soon on 3 hours sleep.

I didn't get skunked, Mr Smart Guy! I was trying to keep the info flowing as the fish move around a lot out there. I don't care if boats are fishing a derby or not we are all better off to work together!

If it wasn't for us starting out in this fishery 8-9 years ago the information and techniques would be way behind.

BTW, does this look like a skunk?

You invented tuna fishing. Congrats

Just took my Tuna to St Jeans and at first they would not take them because they were not flash frozen and or gutted. After some discussion we found that if the Tuna were caught greater that 24 or 48 hours but less than tree days in slush they would take them and they did. They are concerned about histamine levels. Normally I process them myself and this is the first time I took them to St. Jeanes. I also told them that spiking them was important to reduce histamine and that they were bled at sea. Some information that might prove helpful for some like me that do not have the time to process them. Got to go to work soon on 3 hours sleep.

I go through this every year with them. We leave them on ice for 2 days guts in. They will not take them if they are gutted or cut up in any way. They don't want blood touching the meat. Whole with guts in and cold cold cold. Every time the manager comes out and feels the tail stem to make sure they are cold enough.

Back