2017 Oufitter's Halibut derby

Exactly. So the question to throw out is... How does everyone measure their Hali's? Currently I use a rope with a tape mark and 2 of us hold it out and do our best to get a measurement and then error on the side of caution. I have thought about rigging an clip, some 40lb test and a Spin&Glo for a total length of 133cm. Then clipping it to the end of my harpoon with the idea of holding the tip at the nose and the current and Spin&Glo will stretch out the line. I'm thinking this would give an easy over or under 133cm visual check.

if you look at my above posted pic... left side blow the tray.. a straight broom handle.. its cut too 132 cm.. and I have 5 ft of gangen on it... work great... and Scott your are correct ...sad state of affair having too worry about cm or 2 is

Scott, I think this thread is about derby overs. Obviously if you are sitting on the winning and proven legal size fish in any derby and even a rumour that a slightly over sized fish was accepted at the scale would not go over well. As I said to others it is bad enough to have to disqualify someone for any rule infraction. But just think of the sh%t storm from all the others who hold tickets if you didn't enforce the rules and that person ended up winning the event!!

Exactly. So the question to throw out is... How does everyone measure their Hali's? Currently I use a rope with a tape mark and 2 of us hold it out and do our best to get a measurement and then error on the side of caution. I have thought about rigging an clip, some 40lb test and a Spin&Glo for a total length of 133cm. Then clipping it to the end of my harpoon with the idea of holding the tip at the nose and the current and Spin&Glo will stretch out the line. I'm thinking this would give an easy over or under 133cm visual check.

notch in the harpoon shaft, filled in with black felt pen, with the tip still on.. measure first, poon second.

Scott, I think this thread is about derby overs. Obviously if you are sitting on the winning and proven legal size fish in any derby and even a rumour that a slightly over sized fish was accepted at the scale would not go over well. As I said to others it is bad enough to have to disqualify someone for any rule infraction. But just think of the sh%t storm from all the others who hold tickets if you didn't enforce the rules and that person ended up winning the event!!

Yup, I get that .
just too bad the fishery had to degenerate to this....

So everyone here can be 100% sure that their halibut isn't 1 cm over the limit while it is in the water? I'm sure these fish were so close to 133cm that you wouldn't be sure unless it was layed flat on a board that had a 133cm section for it to fit into. If someone brought in fish 3-4 inches over yes then shame but no one has said this was the case. It would be embarrasing regardless to be refused at the scale even if it came down to being a hair's width over.

Over is over. By the time you got it to the weigh in, it would be long dead and pretty easy to measure. I personally wouldn't try the "but officer, it's only a little over" arguement with DFO. It's almost as lame as " well I couldn't be sure it wasn't over in the water...". If you aren't 100% sure that your fish is legal, it's up to you to release it. No ifs, ands, or buts (or 'butts).

Slot limits are awesome for tourism " Travel thousands of km to wild BC and try to catch a medium sized fish". Derby with a slot limit is like a speed limit at LeMans.
Trying to explain the rules to my friends German aunt and uncle last year made me feel like a real tool. "Great fish, throw it back" "too big, to small, unclipped, unclipped, unclipped, let's go for burgers".

Bring a larger hali on deck alive and measure him.
Then bonk him and let him sit in the fish box for an hour.
Very often they will grow up to 2 cm once the muscle is dead and relaxed.

caught a 135 measured with our harpoon while still in the water took 10 mins then had to let go! ****** talked to another guy at the weigh in and he said dfo wont charge you with an offence if its a little over because it is very difficult and dangerous to measure if it is that close , makes sense

caught a 135 measured with our harpoon while still in the water took 10 mins then had to let go! ****** talked to another guy at the weigh in and he said dfo wont charge you with an offence if its a little over because it is very difficult and dangerous to measure if it is that close , makes sense
but would never show up at a derby with it lol

Exactly what i was told by DFO, said they want to see that you have a method to measure and if it is a cm or two over they don't care, more important things to worry about. Guys are not to smart to bring an over into a derby to be weighted, probably into too many lucky's and blunts. Hey derby thanks for the invite ;)

Back