2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

hi,just came back from fishing,start at 7 am at cowan point,nothing,moved to cape roger ,nothing,tried on Tunstall,nothing,moved to point atckinson and joined to others few boat ,nothing,decided to live at 1 pm,maybe someone got a fish at atckinson but the time was there didn't see any action,even the ocean was not nice,hope things change soon I promise to many people to bring fishing with me and have a fun ,see you on the water

I've been watching in Indian Arm and no action so far. The seals seem to be thrashing around a bit more in the last few weeks, so I'm guessing there are some fish around. Haven't seen any pinks jumping yet though.

I'm going to bet on everything being a few weeks late. Remember how miserable May was? The rain didn't stop until the long weekend. June was poor as well.

Also, looking at the PSC Area 12 reports, it looks to me like the Pinks and Cohos are just starting to show up in the northern reaches of the strait.

http://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/test-fishing-results/

Between the 4 test nets at Whonnock and Cottonwood, only 1 adult chinook, 2 jack chinook and 0 sockeye yesterday. :(
I ran the report for Albion for July 16-today - 23 chinooks in total and only 1 sockeye.

Between the 4 test nets at Whonnock and Cottonwood, only 1 adult chinook, 2 jack chinook and 0 sockeye yesterday. :(
I ran the report for Albion for July 16-today - 23 chinooks in total and only 1 sockeye.
Holy Fack, that is not good at all, late or not.
The river is only getting lower and warmer.
Man o man...what have we done.

I'm afraid it's actually worse than that. The Chinook test set at Albion has only caught 49 chinooks in the last month compared to 234 caught last year
during the same period. If somebody doesn't do something, and quickly, I think it's game over....

I'm afraid it's actually worse than that. The Chinook test set at Albion has only caught 49 chinooks in the last month compared to 234 caught last year
during the same period. If somebody doesn't do something, and quickly, I think it's game over....
It been over for a while now, how do you reverse something that took 30 years to destroy? Commercial, native and DFO will not stop until there is not a single wild salmon left.

Perhaps El Nino and La Nina?

One solution is to stop all fishing for one cycle, all of it or for at least 1/2 the cycle/run.

If the gov can pay fishers in the Maritimes to stay home for 20 years, what's 4?

Maybe change the way commercial guys get their catch, count it all instead of throwing away the unwanted by catch?
I have seen the sockeye seiners catch just about as many chinooks, Coho's as sockeyes on the island if that is common many are wasted.

That iron fertilization thing may have had an effect on some runs, the Columbia river runs exploded even though the deed was done of the Charlottes. Check out the dates and compare run returns.

Mind you the first nations on the Columbia also restricted their fishing for awhile.

How hard would it be to just take some eggs, fertalize and bury them in some gravel in a creek/river? Isn't that the way nature does it and it seemed to work for eons, could it be done? It would not be a high success rate but it would be free.

"It's over" "what have we done". Jesus Christ. Been reading through this thread and some others and MY GOD. Do a lot of you guys ever cry a lot when fishing slows down. I'm sick of people crying about how the salmon runs are "over". Things arnt what they used to be. Of course. Cheatahs are going extinct too, things happen in this place called earth. But let's look on the bright side some of us just enjoy fishing and I dunno bout u guys but ive had a lot of fun days this year and caught quite a few fish. That's all I can ask for. Last year was a great year for Chinook. We still have some very solid coho runs around, the fraser pinks arnt going anywhere and next year should be a great year for sockeye fishing. Take ur kids and friends out and enjoy it because one day it may be gone but believe me all of us on this forum will be gone long before the salmon.... Someone quote this on September 1st and tell me how slow fishing is. Sorry to rant but it's painful to read all this crying while I'm taking a **** hoping to read up a few reports.

Report side.. got a keeper and released some undersized and dog fish off south arm in only a couple hours trolling after work.
Hey man totally get what you are saying and agree on still enjoying what fishing is all about, I get it.
This ain't about slow times, this is about the facts, and if you don't think the Fraser salmon runs are on the decline...nothing will change that.
Nuff said.
Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Yup....and we can get back to some reports. ;):cool:;):D
Well I don't care what you guys are whinning about, im going fishing Sunday to get away from things and enjoy the tranquil scene! Good luck to those joining me! I'll be hitting the west van shore line to point Atkinson after I drop the traps.

Fished HITW until tbe high slack on friday morning. Nothing. Then moved to the bell and fished until 1:30. Nothing. A dozen other boats and didn't see any nets out. Then moved to PA and fished the fisheries building, pink apartments and cap mouth until 5:30 only saw 1 jumping fish and nothing else. Spoons, hoochies and snchovies at different depths. Beatiful day on the water.

Last edited:
going fishing Sunday to get away from things and enjoy the tranquil scene! ....I'll be hitting the west van shore line to point Atkinson after I drop the traps.
Probably the worst place to fish after the fireworks the further you can get from that huge disturbance the better.

"It's over" "what have we done". Jesus Christ. Been reading through this thread and some others and MY GOD. Do a lot of you guys ever cry a lot when fishing slows down. I'm sick of people crying about how the salmon runs are "over". Things arnt what they used to be. Of course. Cheatahs are going extinct too, things happen in this place called earth. But let's look on the bright side some of us just enjoy fishing and I dunno bout u guys but ive had a lot of fun days this year and caught quite a few fish. That's all I can ask for. Last year was a great year for Chinook. We still have some very solid coho runs around, the fraser pinks arnt going anywhere and next year should be a great year for sockeye fishing. Take ur kids and friends out and enjoy it because one day it may be gone but believe me all of us on this forum will be gone long before the salmon.... Someone quote this on September 1st and tell me how slow fishing is. Sorry to rant but it's painful to read all this crying while I'm taking a **** hoping to read up a few reports.

Report side.. got a keeper and released some undersized and dog fish off south arm in only a couple hours trolling after work.

It's always nice to get out, and yes terrific to be fishing with family and friends. Especially nice to hook up and be able to bring home some fish. Which we used to do quite consistently this time of year. It was a good start to the season in April and May, and yes if you work at it there are some there. Nothing in comparison to tears gone by, several not that long ago.

Care if I ask how long you been fishing this area, these runs?

Many of us, have been at for our life times, myself I've been fishing this area for 57 years, and also the coast of BC guiding, numberous areas all our lives. Seen the demise happening little by little, to where we are now.

If you can't see what's happening with the lack of care, lack of management, abuse of spawning habitat, over fishing by several different methods and special groups ........... You must be blind.

In the mean time, enjoy it while you can, good luck out there ........ But mostly, light a fire under you MPs back side like many of us have done, demand change, commitment to restoring habitat, enforcement, sound based science, do you part to stop them from ......... Managing to Zero. The same old same old is not working, if you can't see that, you don't have any hooks on your lures.

Good luck everyone, have fun out there .......

HT

It's always nice to get out, and yes terrific to be fishing with family and friends. Especially nice to hook up and be able to bring home some fish. Which we used to do quite consistently this time of year. It was a good start to the season in April and May, and yes if you work at it there are some there. Nothing in comparison to tears gone by, several not that long ago.

Care if I ask how long you been fishing this area, these runs?

Many of us, have been at for our life times, myself I've been fishing this area for 57 years, and also the coast of BC guiding, numberous areas all our lives. Seen the demise happening little by little, to where we are now.

If you can't see what's happening with the lack of care, lack of management, abuse of spawning habitat, over fishing by several different methods and special groups ........... You must be blind.

In the mean time, enjoy it while you can, good luck out there ........ But mostly, light a fire under you MPs back side like many of us have done, demand change, commitment to restoring habitat, enforcement, sound based science, do you part to stop them from ......... Managing to Zero. The same old same old is not working, if you can't see that, you don't have any hooks on your lures.

Good luck everyone, have fun out there .......

HT
Well said!

Back