2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Started at the bell this morning and had a sea sickness issue. Went to HITW not even a bite. Huge bait balls only seen one caught. To top it off someone decided to raid our crab traps. First time being completely skunked in a while.

Mike
If you left your traps off Spanish Banks on a Sunday I would bet a bunch there's some Asian Canadians from a boat named Gypsea Drifter feasting on your crabs tonight. They raided my traps Easter Sunday and saw them two weeks ago today doing the same thing to other traps with a bout full of guests "gathering" the west coast bounty. It's a regular thing they do.

Last edited:
Went to check my traps this morning to find they were gone
Later in the day a guy phoned said they were floating between Boyer and gambier prob 5 Kms from where I set them.. he was kind enough to pull and return them to me
Seems like a thief tried to pull the set and gave up after getting to the first trap (which he stole), dumping the rest back after floating off the ledge.
There's no way these traps floated off by them selves. 4 heavy traps with x2 5 lb weights on either end. 900ft of lead line in 260 feet of water
Rant over. Thanks to Grant for returning them

IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0193.JPG Got one between Gabriola and Five fingers yesterday, just legal. Hit one this afternoon at Thrasher, 85ft in 600ft away from the pack before tide change. It was a marbled.
This was the one today and his snack

Fished south bowen yesterday afternoon. 3 undersize and boxed a nice red. Caught a boat named "Amber" over by tunstall about to pull our prawn trap. Confronted them and he then set 2 traps right ontop of us which tangled in our lines. Will post pictures of the boat later.

I'm certainly not advocating violence, but it's about time some of these trap poachers faced some real consequences for their actions, and we all know dfo isn't about to oblige anytime soon.

Spent the weekend fishing the east side of bowen. Cowan pt up towards snug cove and back. Mostly to stay out if the weather and the crowds. Had 7 hits on Saturday, which turned into one keeper one just shy a couple dips with no hook ups and 2 one that felt good pulling line but lost. Pretty good action 80 and 60 with spoon and hootchy doing well. Sunday we did the same and ended up with 4 little keepers but all the action came on small herring. Good to be back out fishin

Hey guys. We fished south bowen sunday. and boxed a 6 lb red at tide change. Lost one at the net. Tried bell on the way in. 1 small. No bananas spoon worked good.

Attachments

• 20170507_120357.jpg
    20170507_120357.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Fished south bowen yesterday afternoon. 3 undersize and boxed a nice red. Caught a boat named "Amber" over by tunstall about to pull our prawn trap. Confronted them and he then set 2 traps right ontop of us which tangled in our lines. Will post pictures of the boat later.
They spent a good chunk of the afternoon in Tunstall jigging up anything they could get. :mad:
We managed a pair of keepers in there around noon which was nice to see, mid-water on chovys. Taking my old man out for a fish today, water looks good so will likely shoot across. Will update from other side.

Thrasher was reallllly nasty crossing at 5 am, plowed through and started with our limit of really nice ling 15 - 18 lbs , released a few bigger , all in an area somewhat sheltered from the wind and swell, trolled around a bit after and had two south of the reef, low teens and fumbled another. Left right before the bite turned on apparently, **** on a plate on the way home.

That was them in tunstall jigging all afternoon. I called RAPP

My traps were raided on saturday as well. All 3 of them were empty and I've never been skunked on crabs in the past.

I've heard of guys putting in a few barbed hooks onto their lines. They even write a warning on the buoys. I'd imagine this would drastically slow down a pull or deter it altogether.

Back