2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

What is the best way to get that sticky ***** off? I had issues at the hump a couple of weeks back, I pushed most of it to the end while a buddy reeled and cut the last few feet off the line. Some still ending up in my reel.
Would hate to have a good fish on and deal with that too.

What is the best way to get that sticky ***** off? I had issues at the hump a couple of weeks back, I pushed most of it to the end while a buddy reeled and cut the last few feet off the line. Some still ending up in my reel.
Would hate to have a good fish on and deal with that too.
I've just been slapping the rod on the water here and there. Seems to shake it off ok. Still need to pluck it off near the end. Don't cut your nails.

I have a pile of messages and will post my method of fishing Thrasher , Troll any direction except against current, rigger lines 45 degrees maybe less but make sure you are going 2.2-2.5 mph . I mostly use Big chovie on 5.5 foot leader 25lb test and set flasher 15 feet behind. Don't troll straight line forever, make lots of turns and Zig zag, work from shore out and back in. I find #3 single Owners hooks work best for me. Don't quit as Thrasher can die for 3 hours at a time then pick up even at 1 on the afternoon. This is what works for my boat there.

Found this great book on line by Charlie White and others written over 40 years ago and it shows how they fished Thrasher/Flat Top area (and others) 40 years ago. Think a lot of the fish are recently being caught to the SE of Thrasher or in deeper water to the NE. Thought you might be interested :)
IMG_2854.jpg IMG_2855.jpg

I have a pile of messages and will post my method of fishing Thrasher , Troll any direction except against current, rigger lines 45 degrees maybe less but make sure you are going 2.2-2.5 mph . I mostly use Big chovie on 5.5 foot leader 25lb test and set flasher 15 feet behind. Don't troll straight line forever, make lots of turns and Zig zag, work from shore out and back in. I find #3 single Owners hooks work best for me. Don't quit as Thrasher can die for 3 hours at a time then pick up even at 1 on the afternoon. This is what works for my boat there.

Very similar to how I fish Thrasher but one thing in contrary is I love fishing against the tide, even a very strong tide there and hit a lot of my fish there that way. I also pay close attention to my rigger cable angle and I swap out cannon ball sizes depending on tide strengths from 12 to 15 lbs. 2 to 2.2 mph I also fish as long as I know my lure/bait action is working proper with the desired cable angle, BUT if the tide is running strong I will often fish right into it and drop my speed down to almost nothing while still getting that same angle on my rigger cable. When the tide is running hard your lure/bait is still working very well if you reduce your speed way down. Friday the tide was ripping pretty good and my boat was almost at a stand still and hit multiple fish. I think guys were trolling by me thinking why is his boat almost standing still lol. If the fish are piling up in certain spots and the tide is ripping it's a great way to also isolate the area and stay right on them without moving around all over the place.
Have been fishing that way for a long time. Do it with big plugs at Campbell River and get a lot of the big fish like that too. At Point Roberts there's also a drop off with a bunch of pinnacles of rock on the point in about 150' of water. Later in the season July/August on a strong tide I'll go there and keep my boat almost motionless against the tide and pick up a lot of the big springs migrating up towards the Fraser right on that point fishing a couple feet above the pinnacle. They can't help but swim right by that spot and have the bait right in their face.
Same principle as river fishing, anchored with plugs/flatfish/divers etc.. working away in the current for you in the fish's face without moving.

Going out tomorrow to Bowen or the bell any reports locally from today

Yes. There were fish taken. Not big but a few nice legal if you could stomach the washing machine.

We crossed over this morning in pretty poor conditions 12 mph bucking into the waves then across the trough to thrasher
A keeper in the first minute then a bunch of smalls. Finished the day with a triple header with one keeper then a third keeper
All were 65-75cm.
Og140r with a twinkle skirt

Back