2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Anything shaking out there, nothing but unders around Tunstall for us.

Saw one boat keep one, but nothing for us. Seems like some algae bloom from 25' down is out there. Lines kept coming in with bits of sludge on them

Done for the day now. No keepers, and a few crabs

Good luck

Slow day for us. Started at hump, ended up fishing Tunstall for a bit, few unders along the way and finally a keeper on south face of Bowen. Tried new prawn spot cause old one was littered with traps and didn't pay off. (2)

Photo: if anyone knows the owner of this guy outside false creek, she's sinking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Slow day for us. Started at hump, ended up fishing Tunstall for a bit, few unders along the way and finally a keeper on south face of Bowen. Tried new prawn spot cause old one was littered with traps and didn't pay off. (2)

Photo: if anyone knows the owner of this guy outside false creek, she's sinking.

Take her as a prize?

i fished the hump today with my dad on my boats 5th year anniversary. a couple small feeders then a 65cm keeper!... then tossed a few jacks back and called it a day as the waves picked up around 3

Was out at Tunstall for a couple hours this afternoon. Only caught one that was just undersized. Nice day on the water. Dropped the crab traps close to the first mile marker. First trap had been cleaned out by somebody - new right away it had been as it was 100m away from where I dropped it. Brought it up and could see the crabs had been picking at the bait, but no crabs. Look towards where my other trap is and see a boat named the Gypsea Drifter that was loitering in the area making its way towards my other trap. Speed over there and they quickly left when they saw me coming. This one was full as I got to it before they did. These guys need to be taught a lesson. My phone camera isn't the best, but here they are bumpers and all....Gypsea Drifter.jpg

These guys need to be taught a lesson. My phone camera isn't the best, but here they are bumpers and all....View attachment 32480

Sorry to hear this happened. I would be livid if this happened to me. I'd probably be tempted to fire a flare in their direction.. not actually..
I'm curious, what's the protocol if you catch people actively poaching traps??

pretty sure thats the same boat that hauled my prawn traps last year, they had an electric puller mounted on the starboard side and that one looks to have one as well.
he motored off when they seen us coming and tossed my gear off 1/4 mile away,
we did recover it as it was all tangled up and floating in a big ball, he even tossed my 10lb weights that are usually clipped on the lines inside the traps before he heaved it all overboard,
pretty sure thats the boat tho, not too many of those cruisers around with a trap puller

I had the exact same thing happen to me on Sunday near Hutt Island. Traps pulled, emptied and relocated about 100m from where i set them. As i approached, i knew something was up and headed to talk to the boat that just left the area. They were definitely out to steal crabs as they had a large cruiser boat like the one in Tinny's picture and a small inflatable tender with a trap puller. As i approached to talk to them they did not respond to me and then took off.

As for what to do about it... I called in and filed a report on the violations hotline 604-607-4186. If more of us report the people doing illegal activity, hopefully the authorities will do something about it.

On a positive note, landed a 10lbs red at the hump. 110' deep, titan glow spoon.

Anyone out at the hump? We battled the wind out there on Saturday and managed one keeper and lots of little guys. Hard to stay South East when you're being blown North West though. A 9.9 doesn't push a cruiser through it all that well. Thinking about Tunstall for some protection.

Same boat I caught hauling my prawn string . They dropped it on the closed area . I seen them trying to coil my rope nice on deck. I use specific rope no body sells over there and kinda new it was mine. After I pulled my string up and only counted 5 I went to where they drifted and bingo lol my string stripped of my line weights but at least everything else was there. Looks to be the same boat.

Those C@cks#uckers were always cruising around Jericho/Spanish banks last spring.

I zap strap my crab traps shut always. I was out a few weeks ago and we dropped 3 crab traps loaded with random mixtures of white spring heads/bellies, albacore trimmings, halibut skins (I save them before cooking), freezer burnt ling, pellets, caryle cat food.

First 2 traps were duds, 3rd had 20-25 crab with a few keepers...c@cks@ckers

If u see them pulling get there numbers and keep reporting them.... squeaky wheel gets the greasy..at some point they will get a visit or 2 from DFO....

like ontick says... find out their homeport marina and post it...then let nature takes its course.
get a good photo from side view with name etc.

like ontick says... find out their homeport marina and post it...then let nature takes its course.
get a good photo from side view with name etc.

Attachments

• IMG-20170417-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170417-WA0000.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 323
Back