2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Tumbleweed..........

Hole in the Wall to Bill Point has had a few fish. There are many "just under" in that area and a few legals. I know of 4 legals yesterday and 5 legals this morning from that stretch of water.

There are no secrets anymore.

85-155 on the cable, Flashers, Skinny G's and Homeland Security, Trailhead, cookies and Cream spoons.

Loads of well undersize (18-20") at the Bell to Jericho...best let them be from a conservation standpoint and fish elsewhere .

Tunstall has also coughed up 4 legals this morning.

Boat maintenance and gear tying for me today....and Kokanee....beer that is.

Update: one guide found 5 legal and another found 4 legal in the stretch from HITW to Sunset. 90' was on fire. A couple
Of massive bait schools in there. Lots of 22-24 inchers in the mix. Sounds like that's where it is going to be this year....

Last edited:
I went to drop the traps at passage this afternoon and hit a massive log on the way back. Lost a chunk of the prop. That's all I have to report unfortunately.

Great day today off the south end of Bowen. Flat calm. 1 keeper 3 undersized and lost a good one. Limit of crabs and a good haul of prawns. Fish were hooked in the bottom 50ft all on coho killerz
index.php

Last edited:
noticed u have your rods almost pointing
straight back....is there a reason for that
or just looks that way...?

Fished Anvil to defence and got into 5 nice ones first one the big goof of seal wanted it lol second popped the hooked at the boat and we landed the other 3, got all 5 fish 70 feet and up on spoons, yes I said up nothing near the bottom!!Also managed a couple hundred prawns was a sweet day on the water!!

Fished Anvil to defence and got into 5 nice ones first one the big goof of seal wanted it lol second popped the hooked at the boat and we landed the other 3, got all 5 fish 70 feet and up on spoons, yes I said up nothing near the bottom!!Also managed a couple hundred prawns was a sweet day on the water!!
X 2 on the suspended fish action for us, fished a few spots lower in the sound yesterday and hooked a keeper fish on a plug 1/2 way up the water column, even hit a good one at 20' on the rigger while clipping the second rod! Also tubbed one out of the mud so quite a range yesterday

Howe Sound was on fire for the guys amazing fishing .... I worked...fixed my Ford...now finally having the day's second coffee...

Now tell me. The fish here in the winter, they obviously aren't the ones returning to local rivers. Or are they?

If they aren't, shouldn't that mean we should be able to fish the sound all year round?

Forgive my lack of knowledge with fish habits

Now tell me. The fish here in the winter, they obviously aren't the ones returning to local rivers. Or are they?

If they aren't, shouldn't that mean we should be able to fish the sound all year round?

Forgive my lack of knowledge with fish habits

Many of these fish we are catching at this time of year (January-June) aren't "Columbians".

They are Squamish, Capilano, Chilliwack, Net pen fish from the Vancouver Sport Fishing Guides Association, Harrison, Quinsam (an odd few) And Puget Sound fish.

You can fish the sound all year round...the fish aren't there in number like this all year round however.

In Spring, tidal events in Georgia Strait move these fish into areas we fish and we intercept them.

A lot of these fish aren't American fish as you may believe.

Heads I recovered and sent in from 1990-2013 indicated this data. In the earlier years I intercepted more Fraser fish....which resulted from my fishing habits more than anything.

Fished HITW, nothing, north end of Bowen, nothing, and finally Tunstall where we picked up 5 in quick succession. Towing glow white hootchie on one side and a pink needlefish on the other.

Prawning in horseshoe bay was the worst I've seen it, though. Only 15 prawns in 4 traps.

We didn't have any luck prawning on Sunday either in horseshoe bay. 2 prawns and one octopus in one trap, zero in the other.

We did release one undersized winter from south end of bowen, then the kicker stopped peeing water so we were shut down for the day.

We didn't have any luck prawning on Sunday either in horseshoe bay. 2 prawns and one octopus in one trap, zero in the other.

We did release one undersized winter from south end of bowen, then the kicker stopped peeing water so we were shut down for the day.

Why they don't shut down all of Howe Sound for the spawn is beyond me. Close from Dec 31 - April 1 as has been the case in the past. Basically wide open this year with exception of up by Squamish.

It will get cleaned out. Parts of it already are.

Why they don't shut down all of Howe Sound for the spawn is beyond me. Close from Dec 31 - April 1 as has been the case in the past. Basically wide open this year with exception of up by Squamish.

Prawning is a big winter activity these days...

Judging from your avatar pic you got them

I was told by the fisherys that most of the clipped springs we catch are Columbia fish, do we clip our springs ? just wish the the other species would hang in the same area all year lol ohh and we got 225 prawns out of howe sound sunday :)

I was told by the fisherys that most of the clipped springs we catch are Columbia fish, do we clip our springs ? just wish the the other species would hang in the same area all year lol ohh and we got 225 prawns out of howe sound sunday :)
Congrats on the prawns. How many traps do you fish? Curious what I should be expecting per trap. And was that an overnight soak?

Back